HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2000 Lightning

in
Members Rides

56 Guests, 4 Users (1 Hidden)
bluesdaddy2, DaveTheYank, ace.cafe
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 10:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Believe or Not To Believe  (Read 2572 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates of Eden
Re: To Believe or Not To Believe
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
I have read my owners manual about "Running In" the bike.  I have also read a lot of posts on the same subject.  I am CONFUSED!!!  According to the manual I shouldn't go more than half throttle and the recommend speed is 37 mph in the first 300 miles.  I will never make the 300 mile mark at that speed?  So did anyone not follow their manual and pay for it later?  Or kind of do a buffet when it came to running the motor.  I have an 2009 AVL with 18 miles on it.  And I know for a fact to take the sidecar off.  Any yelling, ridicule, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes. You hafta break these engines in the old way like the books & manuals say. And how us old guys sez (We is dumb, but we ain't stupid). These aren't super-modern close-tolerance Japbikes. You got to polish their insides into submission.

Read what Ace wrote. That's the way I've done my '08. I only managed to get 199 miles on it all last Season because, yes, it's a pain in the ass & it takes a long time to get those miles on, but it will pay off in the long run. I haven't even had my bike in 5th gear yet & 4th only on flat road with no load on. I hope to be able to force myself to get on it at least twice a day this year & maybe I'll hit that 500 mile mark or maybe even 600 this year.

2008 RE AVL Classic
1977 Shovelhead Hardtail Bobber

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Bulleteer
Re: To Believe or Not To Believe
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »
Lady_Enfield

Yes, read and heed what Ace wrote.  That's precisely how I break-in an old school motorcycle and I've broken-in quite a few in my day.  I'm an old geezer and that's  how us old motorcycle geezers do it.

Cheers,
Bill