HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Old Texaco

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2014, 04:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Toolkit Contents  (Read 2923 times)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Toolkit Contents
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
For Vince, Ace and all you guys with vast RE experience.

What is the preferred contents of a toolkit? This is for Classic toolboxes only, (I also have the AVL, so my toolboxes are post-air filter and still have the intrusive bracket inside).

No Electra or Military, no extra add-on pouches or boxes please.

Last year, I stuffed extra tools in, only to have the right box pop open in my driveway from too much weight behind it, (I like the boxes, but they're very tinny).

So what are the bare essentials that you can / must carry aside from the factory kit?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love this bike!!
Re: Toolkit Contents
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
At almost 16k miles on my '04 I've always ridden home.  Don't know if that qualifies as vast experience or not but here is what I carry.  Right tool box:  in addition to the standard tool kit a Leatherman, Allen wrench to fit inspection plate on 5-speed transmission (I forget the size), six inch adjustable wrench, a couple of ground down wrenches that fit the push rod adjusters (size? it's too cold in the garage to check), new spark plug, new set of points and condenser, clutch cable, 8oz plastic bottle of oil and a clean rag.  In the left side I have a little plastic box that has the registration and insurance, roll of wireelectrical tape, fuses, paper clip , 24" of 16g with alligator clips on each end, and a rubber band.

Throw in the cell phone and credit card in my jacket and I feel good to go anywhere.  Hope this gives you some ideas.  Oh, BTW, there is still room in the right side if I think of something small.

For Vince, Ace and all you guys with vast RE experience.

What is the preferred contents of a toolkit? This is for Classic toolboxes only, (I also have the AVL, so my toolboxes are post-air filter and still have the intrusive bracket inside).

No Electra or Military, no extra add-on pouches or boxes please.

Last year, I stuffed extra tools in, only to have the right box pop open in my driveway from too much weight behind it, (I like the boxes, but they're very tinny).

So what are the bare essentials that you can / must carry aside from the factory kit?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Hi Folks,

Having never had the factory tool kit and having just this morning lost the mish-mash tool kit I was carrying when my toolbox popped open somewhere on the way to work, I am resurrecting this thread.

Just what IS in the factory toolkit, and what else do folks never leave home without?
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
I think it had a couple of wrenches in varying sizes (at least three of them together would let you adjust the tappets.  What are those, 6mm, 8mm, and 12mm IIRC?), a combination spark plug/rear axle tube-wrench-thing, with included 6" metal rod that you use to turn it, a 14mm wrench, two allen wrenches, one that fit the transmission inspection cover and one that fit the primary cover and transmission fill bolt (transmission bolt only if iron head), two servicable tire spoons (golden colored flat round-edged rods, 8" in length), and a bigass wrench that fit the rear brake sprocket.

The wrenches are nothing to write home about.  They're a very light, brittle metal.  The tire spoons are good enough that I used them to change my rear tire, but I did bend both slightly in the process.

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
The stock toolkit on my previous Enfield ('09 AVL Classic) included a Philips screwdriver, a box wrench and tommy bar, a pair of wretched short flimsy tire spoons, a pair of wrenches that were 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other (going from memory), a 12mm/13mm wrench, and one other wrench of a size I don't recall. It also came with one or two big wrenches - like a 22mm/24mm, and I think a 13/16", but those two didn't fit in the little pouch.

My used iron barrel came with a little cloth roll packed with probably a dozen Craftsman wrenches, along with the box wrench and tommy bar.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Besides the typical wrenches and tire spoons i carry all sorts of stuff in nooks and cranny's. Clutch and throttle cable, assorted bulbs, 12ft electrical wire, 6ft bailing wire, spark plug, fuses, points, assorted o-rings, leatherman, tire repair kit,  and a clutch actuating arm in the right toolbox. A Tire pump on the frame under the toolbox. A spare innertube under the seat. Fuel line wrapped around the backside of the headlight... can't be too prepared :D
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

olhogrider

• Black C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 C5
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
The stock toolkit on my previous Enfield ('09 AVL Classic) included a Philips screwdriver, a box wrench and tommy bar, a pair of wretched short flimsy tire spoons, a pair of wrenches that were 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other (going from memory), a 12mm/13mm wrench, and one other wrench of a size I don't recall. It also came with one or two big wrenches - like a 22mm/24mm, and I think a 13/16", but those two didn't fit in the little pouch.

My used iron barrel came with a little cloth roll packed with probably a dozen Craftsman wrenches, along with the box wrench and tommy bar.

What's a Tommy Bar? I thought that's where the deaf dumb and blind kid goes for a drink and maybe some pinball.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
The green handled phillips/standard screwdriver is my favorite screwdriver ever. I keep them all over my home and shop.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
Besides the stock kit with a better set of irons, leatherman and an adjustable wrench I have this screwdriver..

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Around-Screwdriver-Double-Ended-Flathead-Phillips/dp/B002ATPSQK

The screwdriver is great.  You can take the large end out and use the shaft to pull your main jet even. 

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
What's a Tommy Bar? I thought that's where the deaf dumb and blind kid goes for a drink and maybe some pinball.

The tommy bar is the metal rod that neatly fits the holes in the box wrench so that you can turn it.

We used to use the term for the local joint until that deaf dumb & blind kid got banned for hustling people at pinball.

olhogrider

• Black C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 C5
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
I never knew that thing had a name. Thanks!

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
It never fits quite right in my tool pouch, sadly.

It's always "Tommy this" and "Tommy that", and "Tommy's in the way"
But it's "what a handy widget!" when the tube picks up a nail
The tube picks up a nail, me boys, the tube picks up a nail,
And it's "what a handy widget!" when the tube picks up a nail!

...okay that was bad, and I probably ought to feel bad for it.