HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My New G5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 03:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wet weather gear  (Read 1257 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Wet weather gear
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »
A year ago I bought a Kakadu Nelson oilskin jacket and pants.

Due to my leaving the pants in direct sunlight last summer ( against the manufactures recommendation)  the seat and knees of the pants required a touch up of re proofing cream.

They have gained a nice classic patina from wearing them nearly year round( except the pants in summer) and are showing no signs of wear.

I am still warm and dry on my commute.

FWIW
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Wet weather gear
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
These are great looking jackets. How do they fare in cold weather? Might need to get me one!
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......you wouldn't understand.

olhogrider

• Black C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 C5
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:30 AM »
Many years ago there was a new company selling paper rainsuits. We had a great laugh! ;D Over the next few years I kept hearing stories of how great they are. I finally bought a set . They pack down really small. I rode through a hail storm (ouch) in Texas. They didn't leak a drop. I have had them for a few years now and they are still great except where I tore them on a sharp edge. They often have sales on blemished but otherwise functional gear.

http://froggtoggsoutlet.com/frtoouclsegr.html

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
These are great looking jackets. How do they fare in cold weather? Might need to get me one!

Just noticed this,,,my apologies for the lateness of reply.

Windproof.  

Add insulative layers as the temperature and wind speed dictate.

A field jacket liner works for me down to below freezing when on foot, about 50*F when riding at 60 mph.  

With poly pro as the first layer I am comfortable riding  at speed in temps of high 20's but then hands ears and nose become the time limiting factors.

Modified to correct embarrassingly bad spelling errors
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:31:50 AM by Ice »
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
I also bought the Waxed Cotton Kakadu Nelson Jacket & Walkabout Pants. They are updated copies of the original BELFAST & BARBOUR suits. at under $200. for the set they are an excellent value. The Barbour jackets alone are about $400. now, Belfast is out of production & collectable.  My first Barbour jacket gave me about 20 years of excellent service. WAX COTTONS are my favorite winter gear. Leather WILL soak through.  Cheers, Craig McClure, Jasper Ga.USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »
I love leather, because it's tough, has a lovely feel to it, looks cool, and the wind seems to glide over it nicely.  But, yeah, not so good in the rain.

I bought an AGV Sport Telluride jacket for wet weather.  They're fairly cheap for armored, waterproof, highly adjustable riding jackets.  Kept me dry and comfortable from LA to San Francisco and back, during spring rains.  My only complaint is that it has a fair amount of wind resistance, especially with the shoulder vents open.  I also bought this particular jacket because it's longer, and I have a tendency to unwillingly show off my buttcrack.  ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Update.

I now have a small tear in the shoulder from a fence wire and the knees have begun to show some wear from repetitive kneeling on rough surfaces.

REA #136