HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The 1969 stripped down ready for the rebuild

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2015, 12:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Oil of a UCE RE on youtube  (Read 1518 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Changing Oil of a UCE RE on youtube
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 10:25:28 PM »
      Thank you, Thank you ALL for your appreciation and comments.  

@Bradey - Good tip !   I do coat the new filter with oil when I change oil.  But I had no picture of that step, so it slipped my memory. I will put a comment on the youtube.

@Ray - Sometimes I tilt the bike from side to side but not always. I left it out because in my opinion it is not a necessary step but is optional. My main concern was that if a viewer tilts the bike and it accidently falls, the viewer may blame the video ;).  I wanted to avoid that situation.

@Twin - I did buy the 'new-improved' cap, but it is hard to describe why I like to keep pushing on the spring, holding the washer/brass plate on filter, and all the excitement and sense of fulfilment when all parts fall in place  ;D.  Working with the original has its own mazaa.  This is an Hindi (Panjabi) word that is hard to fully describe.  But I think you get it !

@Simon - The oil is pale yellowish and may be some refraction of light looks greenish.

The video is not an Offical RE How To Do Video. It is how I do something. It is not all inclusive. Hopefully some people will find it useful and for others it may create an interest in RE.

I want to produce some more videos describing service / manintenace procedures done on my motorcycle. I hope other RE owners also do the same with other themes and show how they maintain or repair their bikes, so that we can keep our bikes running and thumping ;D.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:27:54 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

raycopper

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
     Thank you, Thank you ALL for your appreciation and comments.  

@Ray - Sometimes I tilt the bike from side to side but not always. I left it out because in my opinion it is not a necessary step but is optional. My main concern was that if a viewer tilts the bike and it accidently falls, the viewer may blame the video ;).  I wanted to avoid that situation.

Good point, well made :) Good slide show anyway :)
2010 C5 - Red

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
I didn't know tilting the bike from side to side was part of the official procedure.  Maybe I'll try it next time.  Maybe I'll start reading that fancy manual I bought ;)

Scott

greggers

• Bulleteer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
As a newbie getting ready to do his first oil change soonish, this is great! One question, what do you use to clean the plugs and filter casing? Just a rag or some kind of cleaning solution?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Just wipe the drain plugs/magnets off with a clean rag, note if there are any really large metal bits.  The screen can be wiped and sprayed out with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or WD-40.  If you don't have any of those just wash it with water and dish soap.  No matter how you wash it, dry thoroughly and re-install.

Scott