Menu

Members Rides

Future Enfielder

in
Members Rides

52 Guests, 2 Users (1 Hidden)
Ducati Scotty
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 12:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cylinder Removal - Request For Comment  (Read 984 times)

gazza

• Neophyte
Cylinder Removal - Request For Comment
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:27 AM »
Hi All,

First time post with a dumb question which may've been covered already..apologies in advance..

I'm currently dismantling a 2000 Bullet with a blown big end, to replace the crank, mains, rod etc. I'm trying to remove as many large components as possible before dropping the crankcase from the frame. The head is off, but I'm having trouble removing the jug. Am I right in thinking that the cylinder is held fast between the two halves of the crankcase? I haven't yet loosened the crankcase bolts.

The plan is to initially reassemble with a beefed-up bottom end (blueprinted crank, good mains, roller big end, Carillo rod etc.) but standard jug and head (due bike fund limit), just to get back on the road as soon as possible.

I'd like to know the secret of swapping the cylinder on the assembled crankcase, so I have the future option of upgrading to oversize piston/alloy jug and improved head without having to go for the full case split.

Is such a thing even possible? Thanks for any comments.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Re: Cylinder Removal - Request For Comment
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Once you pull the head the only thing holding the jug on is the one little stud above the tappet access plate.   Take that little nut off and the jug should lift right up off the piston.

You can swap the jug and piston without having to touch the crankcase.  Its all pretty easy.

One thing I did when I pulled my head off my 07 was replace the stock studs with a better grade set purchased from McMasters.   They will stretch less when torquing to spec.  The stockers work but I just get stressed out when it takes a relatively large amount of snugging to get the torque value you want, I worry about stripping out the aluminium.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

gazza

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
Thanks Garb.,

I spotted that little bolt, but the barrel remains stuck fast. Still trying..

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
I guess the bottom gasket between the barrel and crankcase can stick a bit,  it should lift right up though.  With the 2 engines I have pulled the barrel on it has not been an issue.  Usually its the head that is tougher to pull.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Eamon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
I guess the bottom gasket between the barrel and crankcase can stick a bit,  it should lift right up though.  With the 2 engines I have pulled the barrel on it has not been an issue.  Usually its the head that is tougher to pull.

That was my experience as well.
Eamon in Seattle
2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe
http://www.sterlingloons.com

gazza

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:05 AM »
Its off! Just needed a smart blow via a wooden mandrel to overcome the sticky gasket. Thanks all.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:57 AM »
 Glads you got it apart. 8)
Keep us posted  ;)
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military...it takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.