HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my girls

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 11:58:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Increased idle speed on the UCE.  (Read 283 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Increased idle speed on the UCE.
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »
The temps here dropped dramatically over the last week.the last 2 days the bike wasn't rung so good. Would stall at the lights on take off, and yesterday morning she was really coughing and didn't want to idle. I had to keep the revs up. After an hour of riding yesterday she came good. Could this be the sudden cold snap and the ecU adjusting? I changed to a. New plug the day before btw hoping that was the problem, but alas it wasn't...

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Increased idle speed on the UCE.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »
You poor Aussies seem to have more than your share of problems. The ECU does not have a learning curve. It is a fixed program and it adjust to anything. There are many possibilities for your issues, to partially clogged injectors to battery. I suggest you take it to a competent mechanic or if you have the skills buy a shop manual.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »
Steve:  If you haven't used it, you might want to buy some fuel injector cleaner that's made to be added to the fuel.
In the USA, I think Chevron Techron is about the best but other brands will work to clean out any deposits that may be plugging the fuel injector or causing its spray pattern to be messed up.

If you try one of these cleaners remember, they are made for automobiles that have 10-15 gallon fuel tanks.
In the Royal Enfields 14.5 liter tank you'll only need to add about 1/3 of the bottle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »
The temps here dropped dramatically over the last week.the last 2 days the bike wasn't rung so good. Would stall at the lights on take off, and yesterday morning she was really coughing and didn't want to idle. I had to keep the revs up. After an hour of riding yesterday she came good. Could this be the sudden cold snap and the ecU adjusting? I changed to a. New plug the day before btw hoping that was the problem, but alas it wasn't...

Try warming it up longer and use the By-starter when it gets cold out Steve.. See if that helps first.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »
Its actually been running real well as usual today...

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
You poor Aussies seem to have more than your share of problems. The ECU does not have a learning curve. It is a fixed program and it adjust to anything. There are many possibilities for your issues, to partially clogged injectors to battery. I suggest you take it to a competent mechanic or if you have the skills buy a shop manual.

Luckily I've found another enfield mechanic that's not moto ciclo (who love to charge 400 a service... )All other bike mechanics I've approached won't work on them.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 03:03:53 AM »
Steve:  If you haven't used it, you might want to buy some fuel injector cleaner that's made to be added to the fuel.
In the USA, I think Chevron Techron is about the best but other brands will work to clean out any deposits that may be plugging the fuel injector or causing its spray pattern to be messed up.

If you try one of these cleaners remember, they are made for automobiles that have 10-15 gallon fuel tanks.
In the Royal Enfields 14.5 liter tank you'll only need to add about 1/3 of the bottle.

Hey Jim can it hurt to just put some of this in anyway?
Is it something you just use one time?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:32 AM »
if i had a bike - i'd give it a try  :)
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt
2014 C5 tan/cheery - upgrades and work in progress

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
My bike acts up in the cold all the time, making all sorts of curious noises until she's up to operating temperature. It could just be that. Usually happens at or around 40f (4c.) Using the "manual bi-starter" is a great suggestion.

I have no experience with Chevron Techron, despite the fact that it gets brought up both here and on the Lincoln Mark VII club boards with startling frequency, but B-12 chemtool and the Lucas fuel treatment have done me well in the past. Haven't run any in my bike, but I've been using them in my cars for years.
2012 Royal Enfield C5, royal maroon
1992 Lincoln Mark VII, deep jewel green metallic clearcoat

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
Like I mentioned, there are a lot of different brands of fuel injection cleaners available.  The main reason I mention Techron is it totally fixed my fuel injected BMW K-75 motorcycles misfire and sluggish throttle response within 20 miles after I put some into the fuel.

As for using it all the time, one of the Chevron filling stations advertizing claims is the  pump fuel you buy from them always has Techron already added.  I'm sure it is a lot smaller amount per gallon than the aftermarket bottle makes and that's the way I think it should be.

With any additive there is always a risk of it damaging things that were not designed to have the additive in the system.  A small quantity works more as a long time preventative rather than an immediate fix for a problem so having a little in the fuel at all times shouldn't damage anything.
I wouldn't use the full dosage repeatedly though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary