HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Scrambler

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 01:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kickstarting a 2012 C5 with sidecar?  (Read 117 times)

enfielddan

• Neophyte
Kickstarting a 2012 C5 with sidecar?
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
I have a 2012 C5 with an Inder sidecar.  I have never tried to kickstart it because the sidecar frame sort of impends getting my foot fully on the kick crank and getting a really full powerful leg stroke.  However, today I tried to kickstart it.  One the first downward (tentative) stroke of the kickstarter, it seems to have some pressure and make a little engine starting rumble but died, which I fully expected.  What I did not expect is that  the subsequent downward strokes (about four in total), it did not have any pressure and the engine had no sound...it was as if the kickstarter mechanism was not catching on anything and just "freewheeling".  I did not try to exert great pressure or great effort on the kick starter crank on any of the downward strokes, thinking that it should at least have some sort of pressure and not wanting to break anything.  Not wanting to continue with this manual kick starting task, I hoped that my electric starter was no affected but to my relief when I resorted to the electric starter, the engine kicked over and stayed running.  What am I doing wrong or is something broken in regards to the manual kick starter?  I did not want to attempt again without some proper feedback from the more knowledgeable group of this forum. Appreciate any advice, comments, or help?

Danny

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Kickstarting a 2012 C5 with sidecar?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
You wouldn't have been holding in the clutch by habit? Can't do that, bike needs to be in neutral and clutch hand off the lever.
 Almost lost my knee doing that. Gave it a mighty heave on the kicker with the clutch disengaged and found no resistance. My body wasn't happy l,  the bike and I had a good laugh at that, then off we went
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

enfielddan

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »
Yes, I was holding in the clutch.  I will have to try again tomorrow.  Hopefully that will work.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:35:50 AM »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
Yes, I was holding in the clutch.  I will have to try again tomorrow.  Hopefully that will work.

The kickstarter transfers the kick through the gbox, clutch and primary chain :)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome