HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

More Trailer shots.

in
Members Rides

62 Guests, 3 Users
Tom2004, goydra, gizzo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2015, 02:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Royal Enfield 500  (Read 230 times)

Eagle56

• Neophyte
Royal Enfield 500
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »
Hi
I'm on the process of changing bikes and looking at the royal Enfield classis or maybe Electra.

I would like to tinker and make some improvements for drivability with some motorway riding in mind

What would be best for this cab or EFI ?
I see there are kits for both but not any re fuelers for the efi.

Any advice would be extremely useful

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Re: Royal Enfield 500
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »
A little more clarification might help.
Are you talking about new bikes, or old models?
Are you in the US?
The "classic" and "electra" names are confusing because there are several different models in the US and India that use those names, but are very different machines.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
It really is confusing isn't it? Try getting involved in a conversation about Royal Enfield's branded as Indians for a "who is on first" situation

Eagle56

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
I would be looking at the UCE engine with disc brake

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
I would be looking at the UCE engine with disc brake

They are all the same, as far as the engine is concerned. No difference.
All US UCE models are EFI. No carbs here.
Basically, you pick the style you like. All the rest is the same.

Eagle56

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
Which is more tuneable the UCE
Or the carbed pre UCE engine.

For the carbed version up rated carbs are available to
improve the fuel/air ratio after an exhaust and filter is added

How is the EFI changable to suite these bolt ons

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:53:01 AM by Eagle56 »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »

Which is more tuneable the UCE
Or the carbed pre UCE engine.

For the carbed version up rated carbs are available to
improve the fuel/air ratio after an exhaust and filter is added

How is the EFI changable to suite these bolt ons

EFI can be tuned with a Power Commander or other similar ECU modification and a computer with the proper software.

If you want power upgrades, the old Iron Barrel 500/535 can produce more power than any other kind of Enfield single, if it is properly modified.  However, the old ones require the most money put into them, because the bottom end can't handle any extra power unless heavily modified.

The carburetor is not real high on the scale of importance in this whole scheme of things. There are many other things that are a lot more important. You could change the carb to a bigger one, and gain nothing, or even lose power.

Eagle56

• Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
Thanx

All I would add is free flowing exhaust
And possibly a larger front sprocket.
In harley terms a stage 1

Your advice/information was very helpful
UCE may be the way forward for me, I'm looking for at least 65mph cruising speed if that's feasibly possibly

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
65 is possible.
Don't cruise too long at anything faster than that.

pmanaz1973

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »
65 is possible.
Don't cruise too long at anything faster than that.

+1  Opinions may vary and there have been a number of threads on this subject, but these bikes just don't fit that 65mph plus range very well in my opinion.  Guys do it, but honestly there are way better machines for that application.  These bikes seem to like to 50-55mph roads and will do those all day long without issue.  Once you creep into the 65-75 mph range you are really pushing this motor, modified or not.  A  guy I work with smoked his 2011 B5 riding I-90 at 65mph with bags and a backpack from Spokane to Seattle - about three hours in the motor started knocking and it was done.  On the up note, he rebuilt it and spent some quality time doing so and his bike runs like a Swiss watch now...he did end up buying a used Honda ST1100 for his long interstate touring rides.

Just my humble two cents
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
+1  Opinions may vary and there have been a number of threads on this subject, but these bikes just don't fit that 65mph plus range very well in my opinion.  Guys do it, but honestly there are way better machines for that application.  These bikes seem to like to 50-55mph roads and will do those all day long without issue.  Once you creep into the 65-75 mph range you are really pushing this motor, modified or not.  A  guy I work with smoked his 2011 B5 riding I-90 at 65mph with bags and a backpack from Spokane to Seattle - about three hours in the motor started knocking and it was done.  On the up note, he rebuilt it and spent some quality time doing so and his bike runs like a Swiss watch now...

Interesting.  I've proven myself to be no expert here, but I think your friend's B5 failure is atypical?  I know that there's lots of possible operating conditions coming into play, but on the surface of it, 65 mph in 5th gear is only around 3800 rpms, which shouldn't really stress the bottom end on a UCE.

I know it's a different subject, but did he document the failure and rebuild?  I'd be interested in the details...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:24 AM »
By my calculations, 65mph in top gear is about 4000-4100 rpm.
This still should not be pushing it too hard from a piston speed view, but we still need to note that these things are not created equal internally at the factory. Some might have some weaker spots than others.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:01:03 AM by ace.cafe »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
By my calculations, 65mph in top gear is about 4000-4100 rpm.
This still should not be pushing it too hard from a piston speed view, but we still need to note that these things are not created equal internally at the factory. Some might have some weaker spots than others.

You may be right, ACE - I got my info from the charts Bare posted awhile back (The B5 came with the 17-tooth sprocket):

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11024.0.html

But you've emphasized my point - they're not all created equal...

pmanaz1973

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
I asked him for some more information and he said he was likely going closer to 65-70 MPH to keep from getting run over and was at almost WOT on that particular trip and it was in the summer.  He attributed the failure to what he suspects was a combination of wristpin bushing failure and or bottom end bushing failure... likely from what he suspects was a defective rod.  He said the bike had about 25k on the clock and most of it was running hard on the interstate with him (220lbs) luggage and a backpack.  He said the top of the rod near the wristpin cracked and eventually separated enough to cause severe rod knock.  He was wearing earplugs and caught it after he could feel it.  I asked if he had any pictures of the motor once it was torn down...he laughed and said the rebuild was so fast and simple that it was not worth documenting, that and the bike was out of warranty.  He still loves his RE and we go bombing around country roads all the time.  I have to say, he does ride that bike (and all of his) like he stole it.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5