HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

PERLA 12

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 06:16:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5 Speed Transmission Lube  (Read 5091 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
5 Speed Transmission Lube
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »
I have a 2006 65 with the new 5 speed transmission.  It's time for the 300 mile service.  My manual calls for EP 90 to be used in the transmission.  At the auto parts store, EP 90 appears to be grease.  Many posts on this board refer to gear grease.  My Snidal manual briefly talks about the 5 speed not using grease but something else.

What is the correct lubricant to use in a 5 speed transmission?

This is real life but it seemed a good question for the FAQ section.

Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Re: 5 Speed Transmission Lube
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
  I think thats a 90 weight gear lube.I want to say Hypoid gear lube.shpuldn't be grease.
    jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »
In my Sixty-5 I'm using Valvoline 80W-90 gear lubricant.  At any auto supply store.  Same thing used in car differentials.  Comes in a tube with a spout and very easy to fill the gearbox.

The allen head bolt with copper washer seal is the overflow opening when filling the box.  Looks like the other allen bolts holding the side cover on - the other ones have steel washers.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LJRead

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
What is the "hypoid" in hypoid gear oil?  Isn't it just gear oil or is there something special about it?  I have a lot of 80 weight hypoid gear oil that's a liquid and not a grease. Just as soon use it if it's ok.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »
     An 80w90 GL4 or GL5,  is a 30 or 40 weight oil with an additive package for gears only. It is not to be used in an engine. it is great for light duty gears such as found on a cycle. A true Hypoid is usually the indicated weight base oil, again with a additive package for a gear box only. GL6 oils are too thick for these transmissions,

LJRead

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »

Thanks Vince,  mine is 80w90 G-5 so I will use that in the transmission and have enough for a hundred years, I guess.

You wouldn't want to move down here to the South Pacific, would you Vince?  You'd only have one customer, but think of of what you could do with all your spare time!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »
What is the "hypoid" in hypoid gear oil?  Isn't it just gear oil or is there something special about it?  I have a lot of 80 weight hypoid gear oil that's a liquid and not a grease. Just as soon use it if it's ok.
  Hypoid Gears
Hypoid Gears are similar in their general form to bevel gears. However, Hypoid Gears operate on non-intersecting axes. Hypoid Gears have spiral teeth that are curved and oblique, with axes which may be at either right angles or otherwise.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »
Hypoid or EP refers to a high sulfer content for use in "Extreme Pressure" or EP.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Eli

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
I filled 75W140 into the gearbox. A dealer told me so.
It runs good, better "neutral" finding, better shifting

Thomas
Bullet 500 AVL, Germany/Bavaria

Jon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »
The shop manual that came with my 1977 India Bullet actually specified grease
for the gearbox I think that this may have been common practice in the 1930s
when the Bullet was concieved, probably didn't leak out past the felt oil seals of the day!

deejay

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »
The shop manual that came with my 1977 India Bullet actually specified grease
for the gearbox I think that this may have been common practice in the 1930s
when the Bullet was concieved, probably didn't leak out past the felt oil seals of the day!

Yeah thats for the 4-speeds without the seals.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »
Any stock 4-speed (like the one that came with my 2002 bullet) is supposed to use the grease rather than gear oil.

I recently converted to a sealed mainshaft bearing (a very easy job since I had the transmission covers off already). I am running synthetic 75-140gear oil. No leaks after about 200 miles of riding.
Endeavor To Persevere

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
Any 80/90 gear oil suitable for car differentials is fine.
 If you want to give it a treat, bung in half a can of wynns friction addative. I love the stuff and use it in all 3 oils.

Yes even the primary and no it does'nt make the clutch slip.

Fabulous stuff and I guarantee a noticable difference on the gearbox changes.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

wanderlust

• Neophyte
  • Riding through Nainital, Himalayas 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
Cant help you with the 5 speed gearbox since I've never used one but would like to tell you how what I put in my 4speed gearbox.

I have Standard 350 and 500cc models (that's similar to Deluxe) and I use Castrol AP3 grease diluted with 10-40W Castrol engine oil for my gearbox. The manual recommends SAE 90 oils or 'OO' grade grease which is impossible to find.

Here in India, we get Castrol AP3 grease in 200gms tubes. It fits the top opening on my 4speed gearbox perfectly.

AP3 grease is very thick. Once you've emptied the gearbox by opening the drainplug at the bottom, remove some grease from the tube and fill it with engine oil. Press the tube so that the grease gets mixed with the oil before you put it in the gearbox. Put two such tubes in the gearbox and give it some time to settle down. Initially you'll have difficulty shifting gears and finding neutral. You will notice that gear shifting becomes much quiter. Top up with engine oil until gear shifting becomes smooth. The total quantity of lube needed for the gearbox is 700gms.

I do this once a year or every 20,000kms. Its too bad we dont easily get EP90 and the 'OO' grade grease is unheard of here. Next time I'm just going to flush out the grease with kerosene and fill the gearbox with SAE 90 oil. Will save a lot of time and energy.
Gain altitude!