HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Ladies In Red

in
Members Rides

38 Guests, 3 Users
olhogrider, wildbill, gizzo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 06:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taking hills on a stock standard iron barrel  (Read 1310 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Taking hills on a stock standard iron barrel
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:08:27 AM »
I was reading a post about piston problems when I came upon a reply from Ace.

Don't lug the engine up a hill in too-high of a gear. Keep the revs up in the middle rpms when taking hills.

I'm really new to this and I don't mean to be the village idiot, but what does that mean exactly?

Does that mean keep the revs up in a lower gear whilst taking hills? Please explain in simple language.

Kind Regards

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Re: Taking hills on a stock standard iron barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
Yes.
 ;)

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »
My frequent rides are of about 60-80 miles in the foothills west of Denver and I go up in elevation 2,000+ ft.

On those roads, speeds are 25-40 MPH and I usually run in 2nd or 3rd gear (4 speed transmission) and 1/4-1/2 throttle. You don't want a slow thump-thump up hills, and need to keep the revs up a bit.

Get familiar with the "pinging" sound the engine might make. You don't want to hear it at all! A few minutes of it can damage the engine, piston usually. If that happens, revs are too low, get off the throttle and downshift into a lower gear to get the rev's up. Also, check your timing, as it may need to be retarded slightly. Pinging is typically a timing issue, but can come on when the rev's are just too low.

Then again, I may have just said too much. As The Garbone said, the answer to your question is "yes".
2002 Bullet ES

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
I was reading a post about piston problems when I came upon a reply from Ace.

Don't lug the engine up a hill in too-high of a gear. Keep the revs up in the middle rpms when taking hills.

I'm really new to this and I don't mean to be the village idiot, but what does that mean exactly?

Kind Regards

No worries jedaks,
The village idiot would not have the sense to ask questions and you do,,,,,,so you're not it  ;)

We all were or are new at something. You should see the looks I got from my kids when I asked them what is clean up and de frag ?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:34:10 PM by Ice »
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
I'm surprised your stock bullet can make it up a hill. ;D Mine wouldn't until I changed the pipe and carb.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:22:47 AM »

Think nothing of it, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people asking questions. ;D Seriously though, that's what this forum is for, so let it rip.