HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

This is the before pic of the 1969

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 10:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installed softer rear springs,What a difference!  (Read 1433 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
Installed softer rear springs,What a difference!
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
Now have 5/8 inch of sag on the lowest setting, to none on the highest. I also installed the cmw covers since I had them apart, and they look great.  The forks are pretty tolerable for the time being, but I know its just a matter of time.  Not too bad a job, had to make some fixtures and a real thin 1.125 inch endwrench to avoid scraping up the painted top covers on reassembly. What a ride. Now ,I have a motorcycle!  I can't believe I rode that thing so long with those truck springs.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Re: Installed softer rear springs,What a difference!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
Cy -

Are you Classic/Delux or Electra?  I'm sorta scrawny, and find the stock springs on my Classic are a little harsh...

Tough job?

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
I'm interested too. I have an Electra and since I only weigh 140, it feels like I'm riding a hardtail. The springs on my solo seat are about the only real suspension I have in the back. Forks seem OK.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
mbevo1, It's a classic E. Here's a shot of the low setting(5/8sag) and one with 140 lbs .  Your going to need a press of some sort, A 2 inch hole in something 1/2 inch thick (your choice) and a little vee block thing for the press ram as it pushes down on the bottom eye. That reveals 1.125 inch flats under the washer and top eye.It is just a jamb nut for the threaded top eye. Be careful ,those orig. springs are brutal. When I had pushed enough to see the jamb nut ,i safety wired a long 3/8 bolt through the bottom eye to holes ion either side the 2 inch hole. I used a piece of 1/2 micarta.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:18:55 PM by cyrusb »

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »
Thanks! 

Sounds like we weigh about the same... it can be pretty jarring with the stock springs - even on the lowest setting.

Don't know if I'll get to it soon, but the roads in West Michigan are destroyed... hope the hot-patch boys get busy so's I don't get my fillings knocked on my first ride into work this spring!

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:43:17 AM »
so's I don't get my fillings knocked on my first ride into work this spring!
   :D

well they are a very nimble machine  .. i can see U nOw quick movements  at the last moment..   :o ;D