HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my 2013 C5

in
Members Rides

47 Guests, 2 Users
greenie, JohnDL
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 08:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upgraded to HID Xenon  (Read 5112 times)

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Upgraded to HID Xenon
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:09 AM »
I had a slight issue with the H4 bulb in my 7” tri-bar light, the wiring caught fire.  Apparently the shielding must have rubbed through or simply melted.  Since I was rewiring the headlamp and replacing the “standard” H4 halogen bulb.  I wanted something brighter! I read the posts about the OSRAM Night Breakers, Silverlight, and others.  I also read the other posts about HID.

After reading from multiple sources I decided I wanted to try HID.  It uses less power ,35 watts vs the 55/60 of halogen.  I like the idea of pure white light instead of the yellow tint of halogen, and IMO vehicles with HID are more visible at night.

I ordered a kit from DDM Tuning because they come with a lifetime warranty on all parts.  You can get kits cheaper on ebay but the warranty is usually 6-12 months. 

I opted for the 35 watt 8000K Bi-Xenon.  Bi-Xenon gives you high/low beams instead of the usual low-beam only of most HID bulbs.  If you read up on HID you’ll see why low-beam only isn’t such a big deal with xenon.

The kit was compact and fit into the headlamp enclosure with out too much trouble.  BUT the bi-xenon bulb would not fit!! It was too long and hit against the speedometer cable.  There was no way to move the cable as it hit dead center.  The bi-xenon uses a small electric motor to tilt the bulb for high/low and this makes it about 1.5” too long.  If you plan on going HID with an H4 bulb you might have a hard time finding a bi-xenon short enough to fit.  Be warned.  I returned the bi-xenon for a low-beam only H4 that was MUCH shorter.  It was no longer that a normal H4 halogen bulb. 

I installed my low-beam only HID and took it out last night and WOW.  I was astounded at how much brighter and clearer the road was!  There was so much light I couldn’t fathom that oncoming traffic wasn’t getting blinded.  I drove through town for almost 20 min and didn’t earn a complaint. I headed out of town on un-lit back roads that I had ridden at night just days before.   It might be tacky to make a night and day reference but the HID light was so much brighter and clearer!  It was amazing how much farther I could see.  There was no blinding washout of objects in front and to the sides like one might expect with extremely bright lights.   

I headed home with a big smile on my face!  I did not receive a single high beam flash from oncoming traffic, which surprised me.  They say HID is less blinding than halogen and I can’t argue.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Re: Upgraded to HID Xenon
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
Nice, thanks for the right up. hope you follow up so I can see how you like it when you have lived with it a while. I did not know a high/low HID was even made.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

olhogrider

• Black C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 C5
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:17 PM »
If you don't mind, how much did it cost? I don't have the tri-bar. Do they have a bulb housing?

JesterNT

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
They don't have a bulb housing, you would have to pick that up somewhere else.  The HID kit was about $30 with $10 shipping.  http://www.ddmtuning.com/

JP Cycles and Nfieldgear both cary Adjure headlamp housings they run $80-$100. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Be careful about the heat from the bulb. I think you will be alright becuase you RE is all steel, but just watch it at first

olhogrider

• Black C5
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 C5
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:07:54 AM »
35 watts and you don't miss the high beam? They do warn of the heat from the 55 watt setup.

JesterNT

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:14 AM »
The low beam of the xenon has more light than the high beam of my halogen ever did.  I checked the bulb on Sunday after a 1 hour ride in 107 degree heat.  The housing and wiring all seem to be fine. 
I'll update this post if I encounter any thermal issues from the HID setup over the next few weeks.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
Isn't an 8,000°K arc light awfully blue-shifted?  Personally, I'd stick with 4,300°K for pure white light, certainly no more than 5,000°K.  YMMV, of course...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

JesterNT

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
Yes the 8k was quite smurfy.  I recently switched to a 5k with a xenon low beam and halogen high.  This bulb fist nice and is much shorter than the Bi-Xenon I tried at first.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
I replaced the H7 halogens in the low-beam projector lamps in my cabriolet with 4,300°K xenon HID capsules, designed specifically for that make and model car...  Lovely, brilliant white light, and gobs of it. The high-beams are pretty much an afterthought now.

I will insert a caveat here, though: The light from an HID arc capsule emanates from one singular point: the arc gap between the discharge capsule's anode and cathode. The halogen reflectors in our vehicles are designed to throw light forward through the lens, but only if the light source (the filament in halogen incandescent lamps) is precisely located at the focal point of the lamp assembly's reflector...

When you go looking for an HID conversion, be as sure as you can possibly be that the arc gap is located in *precisely* the same spot as the equivalent halogen lamp's filament is, or the output from the lamp's arc will not be located precisely at the reflector's focal point, and you will get, errr, "somewhat less than optimal results" (which is a fancy way of saying your bike's headlamp will look Totally Rice and not work worth a cup of lukewarm spit).

Just a word to the wise...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:43:46 PM by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
JesterNT: Would you think that the bixenon would work well with this kind of setup: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/lighting/complete-cafe-headlight-kit.html

JesterNT

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »
Yes that looks to be plenty deep.  I measured my bixenon that did NOT fit the C5 housing and it needs 1.85" of open space at the back of the bulb.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 05:28:31 AM »
They don't have a bulb housing, you would have to pick that up somewhere else.  The HID kit was about $30 with $10 shipping.  http://www.ddmtuning.com/

JP Cycles and Nfieldgear both cary Adjure headlamp housings they run $80-$100.

Thats 30 bucks including bulb, ballast, wiring etc ??

JesterNT

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:49 AM »
The kit comes with slim balast, wiring harness, and a standard (low beam only) H4 xenon bulb, the price has even gone down it's now $25.  You can pick the kits up on ebay to for cheep also.  I just went with DDM tuning because it comes with a life time warranty.  I had to order the bixenon separate on ebay ($12 shipped). 

iowarider

• Bulleteer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
JP cycles will send you their two inch thick, not kidding, catalog that is filled with goodies that should be able to be fit on the RE's. Normal for the RE tweaking of most. They have lamp housings that look Retro and several varieties of turn signals. This is first hand knowledge as I live about an hour drive from there home warehouse. They specialize in Harley parts, but hay,most of the time, "parts is parts". The catalog is free and makes great reading to get ya through cold winter nights. Clothing as well. Just don't do as I did and ruin the front cover from drooling on it.  ;)
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750