HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

And another!

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 04:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So what in ^%#$% plug should I run?  (Read 471 times)

abstruse1

• Neophyte
So what in ^%#$% plug should I run?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
I've read lots of threads here about the best plug for various bikes, and remain confused.

I have a 2014 RE on which I've opened up the intake and exhaust.  At some point, I'll do more, but what plug(s) should I run now?

The bike came with a Bosch Super R6.  Maybe it's as good as I can get, but I do have a fair amount of popping and some hesitation on acceleration (like it's running a bit lean).  I have yet to fool with the TPS adjustment.

Thanx!
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: So what in ^%#$% plug should I run?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
Most of us who own a fuel injected 500, imported into the US use a NGK BPR6ES.

These bikes only have a single spark plug.  If your motorcycle has a carburetor or twin spark plugs I don't know which spark plug will be better than the one you have.

As a sidenote, although I changed the spark plug on my 2011 G5 to the NGK I mentioned above shortly after I bought the bike, I have been running the Bosch for the last 300 miles to see if there is a significant reduction in performance or fuel mileage.  The jury is still out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
+1 to what Arizoni said.

The first thing I did with my 2012 was change the plug to a BPR6EIX before freeing up the exhaust flow. Maybe I don't need one that burns that hot, but I noted an immediate improvement in the idle and acceleration. The popping you are getting is most likely from the change in air flow, but the ECU should compensate for it soon enough. 
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

abstruse1

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Here's what I find about the two afore mentioned plugs:

NGK
Stocking Part Number : BP6ES
Spark Plug; Copper Resistor
Pregapped for normal usage.

----------------
NGK Spark Plugs#739-BPR6EIX
Iridium IX Spark Plug
14mm x 3/4" Reach
13/16" Hex
Projected
Gasket seat

Since they're both numbered "6", I assume they're the same heat range.  And the 6ES is a resistor plug.  Is there any benefit to using a non-resistor plug?

In any case, I'll try the iridium version unless anyone sez otherwise.

Thanx! 
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:07 AM »
Using a non-resistor plug can cause problems with your bike.

The ignition system is designed for a resistor type spark plug.
I've heard that it also has to do with keeping the ignition system high tension wiring from emitting radio frequency waves that can confuse the Engine Control Unit (computer).

One thing that I was unaware of until recently is NGK makes two different spark plugs with the BPR6ES number.
One of these has a screw on, removable connector on the top.  The other one doesn't have a removable connector.

The UCE Royal Enfield needs to have the type with the removable connector because its spark plug cap (with the wire connected) is designed to slide onto the thread that's under the connector.  If you get the one with the non-removable cap your spark plug cap won't connect to it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary