HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

The Enfield at an abandoned Citgo.

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 02:01:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RE electricals  (Read 8937 times)

the_roadking

• Neophyte
RE electricals
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:27:13 AM »
Is the RE Bullet electrical circuit strong enough to handle a motorcycle alarm?
Or a gps system feed from the battery?

Still about the alarm, is it posible to install on the Bullet, is there room enough?

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Re: RE electricals
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
GPS  would be a very low current draw, and would work well. Most of them plug into a lighter socket. If you don't have one, don't cut the plug off. Most units are lower voltage ( 6-9 volts dc ). connecting them directly will produce a smoke generator.
  An alarm is only as good as the installation. The capacity of the battery would determine the duration of operation. They draw a small current when armed, and will drain a battery (in good condition ) in 2-3 days. The siren will require the most current, and would probably only last 20-30 minutes. The Directed Electronics  Merlin 3000 is the most efficient system I've used.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

the_roadking

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  :D
Can you tell me if there is room to an alarm under the seat? Maybe near the coil...

The main idea is to have the alarm on only at night, no danger of steal during the day, riding it daily. I think the battery would be always charged.
The gps would be on the bike just for some long trips during my vacations. Again, I think there's no danger to the battery integrety.

But I have no idea how big and how strong is the oem RE battery. My previous bike (H-D XLH1200) haven't any trouble handling electrical extras. Just have to install 1 or 2 extra fuses and keep the wires simple amd clean.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:21:54 PM by the_roadking »

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:44:02 AM »
wow Man the enField is small enough you could roll it in to your living room..  i rolled a BMW K1ooRS  N2 a motel roOm in souThwEsteRn USA..  i found good locks worked well... never had an alarm system in 40 + years of riding... other than my attitude ;) :D ;D :P ::)

geoffbaker

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:42:58 AM »
I've been looking at the electrics for a different reason: as I am converting to a diesel I need to lower electrical consumption as the diesel electrical output is lower.

Solution: convert your running lights to LEDs. Converting the stock tail lamp running light will save you 5w of draw. Converting the pilot lights, speedo and ammeter lights gains another 6 or 7 watts. Converting the brakes and turn signals lowers intermittent draws.

I've rediced mine from 11 or 12 watts runnning draw to under a watt... I reckon I can now afford to charge my phone (which has a gps) as well as power a cylinder temperature meter and a datalogging motorcycle computer (the Veypor 2).

So I imagine you wouldn't have any problem with an alarm - with one exception... the alarm draws power all the time, and so its current draw will eventually drain the battery, depending on battery amperage and the alarm system current draw.

But what kind of evil bastard would steal an RE, anyway?

the_roadking

• Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
wow Man the enField is small enough you could roll it in to your living room..  i rolled a BMW K1ooRS  N2 a motel roOm in souThwEsteRn USA..  i found good locks worked well... never had an alarm system in 40 + years of riding... other than my attitude ;) :D ;D :P ::)

I live in a 1st store apartmente, no elevator...

::)

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
The siren is a compact unit on the Merlin,and could mount under the seat. As stated b-4, the alarm is only as good as the installation. If there are wires exposed, a low life,.  slimy bastard,cog sucking, thief could cut exposed wires. In most Bullets, there is room for the main module and the tilt switch in the toolbox There is enough capacity in the OEM battery for 2-3 days of battery life. If'n you have an electric start, You may get to try out the manual mode !
PS alarms are a royal pain. They false, usually at 3:00 am, And unlike a car,It's futile to do a starter kill.  Some have tried to disable the ignition, but if this malfunctioned, your engine dies. That may cause an accident.

99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

geoffbaker

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:50:17 PM »
Rather than alarm, maybe consider a hidden kill switch. You can place it anywhere in the bike where you can get a finger... and you can't start the engine without it...

Of course, some good tamper resistant cable helps too.
I have my bike on a combo lock which passes through a cable which is welded to a bolt that passes through the wall of my carport.

But face it, if they want it, they can get it.
Good news though... it's a rare enough bike that they should be easier to trace than most bikes...

the_roadking

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
So they are H-D in Portugal and still they are stolen  :'(
The hidden switch is a good idea, I had one on my Roadking Classic.
I have a good strong chain and lock but still I'm afraid it's not enough.
The bad thing about the hidden switch is that they can put the bike on a van and drive away. At least with the alarm I have some noise to get attention...
But I don't wanna fry the battery  :-\

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »
I don't like extra locks or kill switches.  I trust my Smith and Wesson security system.  It makes a loud bang when someone attempts to steal my bike and stops the theft immediately.  No draw whatsover on the bikes electrical system.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

the_roadking

• Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
I don't like extra locks or kill switches.  I trust my Smith and Wesson security system.  It makes a loud bang when someone attempts to steal my bike and stops the theft immediately.  No draw whatsover on the bikes electrical system.

I don't live in the far west, so that's not a option...

geoffbaker

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »
I'm not in favor of killing people, even if they are Republicans.

Try this, road_king

http://www.securitykit.com/alarm-motion50014.htm

It's an aftermarket siren which is activated if the cable is cut or motion is detected. No drain on the bike battery.

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »
I'm just being silly for sillys sake.  Besides who says I can't shoot to wound only.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

geoffbaker

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 10:48:28 PM »
That's fine, ofcaliplca...

I've got nothing against wounding Republicans :D

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »
Why would you only wound one??

then again; why shoot'em?? There isn't much
meat on em...  just fat and gristle...
not very good eat'n... good fer gravy I guess...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:23:15 PM by baird4444 »
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!! "
        -Cody Baird
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill