HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

CRG Hindsight Mirrors

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 27, 2015, 10:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Craftsman Tools USA - ?  (Read 337 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Re: Craftsman Tools USA - ?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
A little industry secret....  Stanley owns MAC tools and some of the Stanley tools that you can buy are the same as the ones on the MAC truck for a 10th of the price.
Now that is a hot tip!

A real hot tip would be to tell us which ones!   ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »
A real hot tip would be to tell us which ones!   ;)

Well, the best example is the impact sockets.  You can buy an 11 piece 1/2" drive impact socket set at Walmart for $23.  Practically the exact same set from MAC is is about $250.  Yes, they are a little different.  But they were made at the same factory.

Stanley Impact Set:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/11-Piece-1-2-Drive-SAE-Deep-Impact-Socket-Set/8727991

MAC Impact Set:
http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Sockets/Impact-Socket-Sets/SVDPM116TR/11-PC-1-2-Drive-Metric-Deep-Impact-Socket-Set-in-Metal-Tray

A really descent Stanley Screwdriver set:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-42-Piece-Screwdriver-Set/39073442

Classic Craftsman Knock-off screwdrivers by Stanley:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-12-Piece-Plastic-Screwdriver-Set/29205366

And just for you Matt - Give this ratchet a try.  $9.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1-4-Pear-Ratchet/14146066
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 58 years.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
I'm a bit leery of Harbor Freight hand tools, because cheaply made wrenches tend to slip when you're pulling hard on them, and bloody knuckles aren't part of the fun. Maybe Harbor Freight's offerings wouldn't do that, but I have no experience to go on as to that issue, and anyway I have a lot of Craftsman and other lifetime-guaranteed brands of wrenches, screw drivers, et al that don't need replacement, and when they do it won't cost anything.

About 10 years ago I bought a poorly built VW kit car, took it apart and redid it to a higher standard of workmanship - much higher.  I had to redesign and build the electric system, the dashboard, the interior and the exhaust system from scratch.  Since the kit was made in the 1970s, and kit cars based on the Type 1 beetle (the Herbie model) are long gone from the market and the aftermarket, there was no exhaust system available any longer, so I had to fabricate one that would fit under the boat-tail bodywork.  I bought a MIG welder from Harbor Freight - "Chicago Electric" brand, <$400 with the cart, mask, argon tank, etc - with the plan that it only had to last long enough to weld up some pipes and mufflers, and if I liked welding well enough after it quit I'd buy a Lincoln or Miller set.  But years later it's still on duty, although it's far from being in daily use, and has not yet failed in any way.  For a hobbyist, I think it suffices.
'14 Royal Enfield Continental GT
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor
'73 Yamaha RD250B, "cafe racer'd"
'73 Yamaha TY175 Trialer
2 '69 Yamaha AT1 Enduros
'73 Datsun 240Z, GM 350 V8, 200 4R trans.
'66 VW kit car, looks like a Bugatti, drives like an old VW

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
I haven't used HF wrenches, but I don't use Craftsman wrenches for anything over about 20ft/pds.  Many years ago I was trying to do leaf spring bushings on my '75 Firebird.  I literally broke my knuckle off the frame of my car when the wrench failed, it broke one of the jaws right off of the wrench.  A few stitches and a few weeks later I could finally use my hand again.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer / Corn Fed ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 58 years.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »
Truth is, I don't think I could pull 20 ft/lbs any more!  But "been there, done that" re: busted knuckles.  Up here in western NY we have a real issue with rust since in the winter they salt the roads here like fast food french fries, which makes for most of the under-the-vehicle heavy duty wrench work we're stuck with.  I gave up and bought a gas torch set (again from Harbor Freight) and just cut the rusty stuff off, which works most of the time.  I'm getting tired of working on rusty junk all the time but I just love my little '91 Toyota pickup.  Nobody makes a truck that small any more and I refuse to buy a bigger one, so rusty junk it is - but it still runs, drives solid and stable, and doesn't crowd my driveway.
'14 Royal Enfield Continental GT
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor
'73 Yamaha RD250B, "cafe racer'd"
'73 Yamaha TY175 Trialer
2 '69 Yamaha AT1 Enduros
'73 Datsun 240Z, GM 350 V8, 200 4R trans.
'66 VW kit car, looks like a Bugatti, drives like an old VW

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 03:29:02 AM »
+1 on the small trucks!
Would LOVE to find a '75 Mazda B1600 worth restoring! I truly miss that little sweetie!
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
For some reason, I can't get a Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet that works.  The first one that failed, they took back, but tried to replace it with a cheaper-looking one from a bin of "refurbished" ones.  I refused it, so they told me to get another one off the shelf.  It too failed.  I have been nursing it along, but the ratchet mechanism can't be trusted...
  You can remove the rachet mechanism and clean it. Worth a try. The Craftsman rachet handles a now made in China. I would hate to turn in a Made in USA rachet for a Chinease one .
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
  You can remove the rachet mechanism and clean it. Worth a try. The Craftsman rachet handles a now made in China. I would hate to turn in a Made in USA rachet for a Chinease one .

I said 1/4" drive -  I meant 3/8", the one I use the most often.  And, I've had it apart multiple times.  It's a bitch to get it back together right, and it never stays right for long...

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
A little follow up.
In response to Craftman Tools USA importing made in China into its hand tools . I have decided to shop at Sears as a last resort.
I find it wrong to bring  in a broken Craftsman USA made tool in for warranty and be given a made in China lower quality replacement . Not for the price.
Also it appears the Craftsman " Professional " brand is being fazed out .
If I need quality tools , I will shop for Protto , SK , and Armstrong tools .
If I need conveyance and affordability , I will shop Lowes Kobalt brand and Homedepot Huskey .
I have used Harber Freight with mixed results .

How much longer can Craftman Tools survive? There management is from Kmart . They haven't done well for almost 20 years.
But Kmart is another story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:29:58 PM by REpozer »
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)