HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Winter Ride 2/4 - After snow storm

in
Members Rides

48 Guests, 3 Users (1 Hidden)
lemming, Arizoni
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bike section of site needs redesign!  (Read 927 times)

chmo78

• Neophyte
Bike section of site needs redesign!
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
I'm new here (hello RE enthusiasts).  I visited Billy Joel's bike shop in Oyster Bay, NY last year and out of all his bikes my mouth kind of fell open when I saw his Royal Enfields....and he's got some awesome bikes! 

Here's my constructive criticism.  Before you buy/ ride a bike you see it.  BUT you can barely see the bikes on the RE (US) website.  In my opinion, one of the most impressive features AND selling points of these bikes is being completely overlooked and underutilized online. 

Here are some point by points:
1. You get one view of each bike and when it's a 3/4 view you've got parts overlapping making it hard to see what you're looking at.

2.  There should be multiple angles and they should be LARGE.  How about a 360 spinning view?

3.  How about labeling the parts of each bike for newbies like myself so it's easier to distinguish what makes each bike unique?  It could be old timey looking like old blue prints or schematics. 

4.  In regards to my last point... I'm a newbie and am looking into buying my first bike.  Why should I have to leave this website to learn about the RE?  What better place to become informed than right here?

5.  I'm trying to find a picture of the Bullet G5 Classic but when I google it there are tons of bikes that are not what I see on the website.  Are these older models?  I have no idea because the website doesn't even tell me what model year it's showing. 

6.  How about a gallery section of all older models?  Like a timeline.  Yes, the bike is retro and the styling hasn't changed much but I'm sure the color schemes have.  In any event it would help distinguish the bikes and their lineage. 

Not everyone has a bike shop that sells RE right around the corner and the ones that do don't always have all the models so this site needs to step it up!!!  :)

Just my two cents.  Opinions welcome.

Chris

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Bike section of site needs redesign!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
There is a photo gallery on the website here, look under Menu just to the left. However there are few titles to tell you what everything is, but you have to know what your looking for.
In trying to ID the models, the UCE (Unit construction Engines) or EFI (electronic fuel Injection) are the same thing. the come in a B5, C5 or G5 version. The G5 is identifiable by the four sided air box and a chrone "Hot dog warmer" toolbox. The B5 and C5 have a triangular tool box and a smaller oval (C5) or rectangular (B5) airbox. All G5s and B5s have kickstarters, early C5s don't, new 2011s do. The timing covers on the B5 and C5 are oval in shape looking a bit like an A-65 BSA. The G5 is squared off in the rear. the B-5 has a deeply valanced rear fender with struts and a dual seat, has a slimmer unvalenced fender, but continues with the struts and has a solo seat. The G5 has cantilever fenders and a dual seat. the Classic versions of the C5 and G5 are painted, the deluxe versions have a lot of Chrome, tanks, fenders, etc. To actually tell one year from another is not an easy task. Look at the VIN number and it is coded in there. The codes are in the owners manuals. These have been made since 2009, and are the current models.
Now to go back onto the early models, The Bullet Classic Models, or Iron Barrel, (the first listed in the forum) not to be confused with the G5 or C5 Classics, are easily identified by the gear tower that goes up behind the cylinder and the kind of double layered primary case. It looks very similar otherwise to the B5 chassis and (in the flintlock parlance) furniture. Some of them have the "proper" right hand shifter. In production from 1962 (India, 350s)(500s were introduced by the Indians in 1989) until about 2007 they have been for sale in the US since 1995, but there are earlier models over here, including English ones that were produced from 52-62. Many of these were sold here as Indians (56-60)
The AVLs and Electras look more like the G5 chassis and a still different engine. It has sloped valve covers and the gearbox is separate, but bolted to the engine. The alternator is still on the primary side and the starter is mounted in front of the cylinder.
These were made from approximately 2005-2009.
Now, on your way, and start working on the the world IDs
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

chmo78

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »
Hey Bare,
All that info was great.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I've been looking through the galleries but still feel that professional photos taken specifically for the site is something that needs to be done to make the best impression on the customer.  I've been getting more information on the helmets that I've been looking into than the bikes!   ;D

Chris
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:45:19 PM by chmo78 »

chmo78

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
One more thing...

If I understand correctly, there is no difference or improvement in a bike built from 2009 till today?  I ask because the dealer told me he was quoting me a price on a new 2009 G5 in the crate.  I responded that I wanted a 2011 and he said, same thing... 

I thought he might be trying to unload a bike.

Chris

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »
If I understand correctly, there is no difference or improvement in a bike built from 2009 till today?  I ask because the dealer told me he was quoting me a price on a new 2009 G5 in the crate.  I responded that I wanted a 2011 and he said, same thing... 

I didn't say that! The improvements and changes they make in the bikes are on an ongoing deal. They don't make changes specific to a model year. Offhand, I'm not sure want all the changes are, but I think they've changed wheel sizes on the latest C5  and they did put the kickstarter back on them. But as far as internal changes go, I don't know what they've changed.
Did he offer you a good deal? Do you get the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty? If so, it's probably a good deal, because if you have a problem with it, the old parts would be upgraded anyway. I haven't heard of too many problems with them, but one never knows. The only problems were related to assembly errors at the factory or parts suppliers. Minor niggles, I fixed most of them myself.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
chmo78
I think it a bit strange that the 2009 is "still in the crate" only because that first year of offering the UCE bikes every one of them was supposed to have their engine/transmission torn apart to replace their 3rd gear.
This was a DOT required recall that Royal Enfield needed to do to fix a lock up problem.

RE sent a team of their Engineers & mechanics over here to make the replacements.

Anyway, as barenekd said, RE does change things as they go so the newer the motorcycle, the more likely it has the latest and greatest stuff installed. 

One improvement that I know of  is the 2009 model does not have the self contained oil filter cap that makes changing the filter much easier.  (its pretty easy to improve the cap yourself or this site offers them for sale if you can't drill and tap a hole and install a screw).

I don't know what other improvements they've made between 2009 and 2011.

I do agree that it would be a great improvement if the pictures that come up when you visit this sites BIKES button up near the top of the screen had front, right side,  left side, rear and a few angular views of each bike.
That would help people unfamiliar with the different models see what the differences are.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

chmo78

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »
The first thing I said when I walked in was, "I'm new at this and wanted some help buying my first bike..."  I knew that was opening me up to get shysted.  I'll have to go back and sound more informed.  (Thanks to you guys.)  2011 all the way!!!

Chris