HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

musket v-twin

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 02:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this good news, or bad?  (Read 414 times)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Re: Is this good news, or bad?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »
I don't know much about this guy, but does he only design chassis' or does he design motors too?  I do know that every time I see that bike Mattz posted I throw up in my mouth a little bit.     :P  Honestly, if new RE's start coming off of the line looking like that thing, I may lose a few respect points for Enfields.
+2 For Sure. That's scary, I just thought, OH NO the India riders seem to like Brass & Copper :o !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:37:30 AM by motorman2whel »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
The Duc "sport classic" line came out under Terblanche.  Seems very fitting for Royal Enfield.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

rep_movsd

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 07:29:07 PM »
Some random thoughts and kind of a rant

You blokes from the US have it great, you have 500000 kinds of motorbikes to chose from....

Here, the few of us who are still die hard Enfield fans pray everyday that the company don't end up belly-up. It's a miracle that they exist now after decades of ignoring the competition and being smug.

Whether Ducati designs are ugly is a subjective matter, but the guy is a designer par excellence.

Today they hired a great designer, tomorrow they might actually collaborate with some Japanese firm and ramp up quality. If the Enfield became a bastardized Japanese bike, it would still be fine with me as long as they kept the original look and long stroke pushrod engine.

The designs are bound to be diluted over time.

There are people here who believe that the GT is not a Bullet, while others say even the UCE is not. There were enough naysayers for the AVL Thunderbird, AVL Machismo, Lightning and even Std 500 Bullet ( because a 500 will never thump like an underpowered 350, the revs climb too fast)

People around India still sell old 350 Bullets for prices approaching what we pay for a new CL500. The purism is very ingrained.

The #1 query on any Indian Enfield forum is "What silencer do I install to make the bike sound like a real Bullet (i.e. an old Std 350)"

On the whole, good news about the designer guy I think!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
You blokes from the US have it great, you have 500000 kinds of motorbikes to chose from....

And yet, the ones many of us might like to buy aren't available here...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Ducati hasn't built a good looking bike since the 996, and they keep on getting uglier. Can't handle this new Star Wars styling.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »
"..Well we can keep our fingers crossed for a cool Retro Enfield Scrambler / Adventure / Dual Sport type..."

Hell,build one....I did. Ain't hard.

Scotty Brown

• Scooter
  • Scotty Brown
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
That's a beauty ------ Even the right color ----Nice Job !!

Uncle Billy

• Scooter
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
<wrong thread>

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:33:24 PM by Uncle Billy »
'14 Royal Enfield Continental GT
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor
'73 Yamaha RD250B, "cafe racer'd"
'73 Yamaha TY175 Trialer
2 '69 Yamaha AT1 Enduros
'73 Datsun 240Z, GM 350 V8, 200 4R trans.
'66 VW kit car, looks like a Bugatti, drives like an old VW

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
Always been a fan of that Scrambler, Sam, from the color to the battery relocation, to that curved handle-bar cross-bar, to those "speed holes" in the nacelle.  One of my favorite Bullets from this forum.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Lane

• Neophyte
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
"..Well we can keep our fingers crossed for a cool Retro Enfield Scrambler / Adventure / Dual Sport type..."

Dayum!!  Thats awsome looking!  You should make a new thread splainin what parts to buy, where to gettem, and how to puttem on for untalented noobs like me who might want to copy what you did!

Is the kickstarter on top of the exahust?

Didja do anything to the brake lever?  (Mine seemz to hang low and i've drug it on some rougher roads)

Howja get the fork boots on, did you take anything off to gettem installed?

Still got 19s?

Awsome, just awsome is all i can say!

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »

And a beautiful job you did too  . I and my 3 back surgeries would like a bit more suspension travel. ;)    Not MX type, say 6 to 8 inches. :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Yup, all those good scrambler parts are out there for the iron barrels. Tougher to find the parts that will fit a UCE, but not insurmountable.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
Guys,
I posted simply to remind ya that there are attractive alternatives to the current batch of production 'scramblers' ....What's being offered as such is a 'stretch',to put it mildly,when one remembers the original concept 'street scramblers' of some 40 years back....Apparently,any brand with any engine can magically become a 'scrambler' with the simple changes such as  high mounted exhaust,pseudo-knobby tires,etc.

Evidentially,the extra girth and 'tonnage' present in almost all designs nowadays means nothing....400 lbs is  'light weight' when grading on the present curve of 800lb road bikes....But,it's damn sure not light weight on the basis of being able to manage that weight when ridden off road,or simply recovered from a 'horizontal static position' (lol).(Yes,I know that street scramblers are to be kept on the street.) Personally,I like the current Triumph twin that's easily converted into a 'scrambler';it seems  to be a very good combination of design and power that  makes for a very convincing retro-scrambler.

Thank you,all, for your comments about my Scrambler. Certainly,doing another using either of the later design engines would make for a more practical daily rider;I chose to use the older engine design just for it's great classic appearance.......

Regards,

Sam

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
Except that Triumph "Scrambler" tops 500 pounds which is light for most of these "Adventure " bikes as they're now called.
Actually the now Ducati claim to be just over 400 lbs wet. regardless, the Enfields are actually quite nice in the dirt and have adequate power for just about anything,except all out racing. The old English scramblers weren't generally all that light, either, until you got into the two strokes. A 250 Matchless was over 325 lbs. My 650 BSA Spitfire Scrambler neared 400 lbs ready to go. The Scramblers were street bikes with the lights stripped off and straight pipes. The "Street Scramblers" were a Japanese idea and name, and weren't particularly good scramblers. The Brits sold their Scramblers ready to race.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer