HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

White Queen

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2015, 07:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well the Harley riders are back out...  (Read 1182 times)

mc35803

• Neophyte
Re: Well the Harley riders are back out...
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
I guess since I came to riding late in life for various reasons, I'm not particular to any brand.  I've owned 3 Harleys and 2 Urals and still have 2 of the Harleys and 1 Ural and just ordered a 2015 RE C5 Classic in black yesterday.  For me, it wasn't so much about buying a Harley or buying any other bike, but it was the dealership that made all the difference.  The bottom line is the Harley dealership in Columbus, Georgia treated me like family from the first moment I walked into the dealership.  The Japanese franchise dealer, literally across the street, wouldn't give me the time of day during the course of 4 separate visits (and many times thereafte when looking at riding gear).  So...I made the decision to buy a bike from the dealer that made me feel welcome.  Heck...if it had been a Sym dealership instead of a Harley, and the dealer treated me right, I'd have bought a Sym over the Japanese bikes.  For me...it comes down to the dealership you have to live with.  That being said, having owned a Sportster 1200 (which I still have) and 2 Ultra's...I've never understood the totally snobbery of the Ultra riders who talk so bad about Sportsters.  Harley's invested a fortune into make so many different Sportster models it makes my head hurt.  What they haven't figured out is that they need a $4 - 5K entry bike to attract young riders. 

I wave to everyone on two or three wheels....scooter, American, Japanese, European, Russian, Indian, and bicycles.   It's all good to me.   8)

Miles
Miles
U.S., Russian, Indian bikes - they're all good!
Leaves me new options for Asian, European, and Brit.  :-)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »
It's all a cultural thing built up over the years. Harley riders sneered at anyone else for decades, creating a backlash effect from others.
Not universal, but widespread enough that it stuck.

So now, they(and unfortunately the newer Harley riders who may be innocent) have to live with the results of those actions. Perhaps it works to reinforce their "rebellious" image.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
Regardless of the ride (bicycle, scooter, bike of any brand) my disappointment is in the ones who ride to be seen rather than for the joy of the ride, or for that matter, the love of their particular set of wheels.
I wave to all when I can, even if they don't wave back. And I smile and nod at a stop, even if they pointedly look away.
Anymore I'm too busy enjoying the high of the ride, the views, the mind-clearing experience to let anyone adversely affect my fun.  ;)
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.

mc35803

• Neophyte
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »
Regardless of the ride (bicycle, scooter, bike of any brand) my disappointment is in the ones who ride to be seen rather than for the joy of the ride, or for that matter, the love of their particular set of wheels.
I wave to all when I can, even if they don't wave back. And I smile and nod at a stop, even if they pointedly look away.
Anymore I'm too busy enjoying the high of the ride, the views, the mind-clearing experience to let anyone adversely affect my fun.  ;)

My sentiments exactly!  Well said.
Miles

medra42

• Bulleteer
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
heloego, if we ever meet, I owe you a beer or four.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

xpertmachinist

• Neophyte
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »

Very well said!!! If I look back on my life so far, at the majority of the best events, you will find a motorcycle or a race track at the centre of well over half of the sunniest parts of my life. :)   

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
I like motorcycles.
The HD attitude has kept me out of HD show rooms. I am not against HD bikes. I don't like hate  marketing campaigns.
 I also don't need to give HD my money to "be a man" or "hipster "or part of other marketing movements to feel good about myself.
I will say, the HD riders I do see in passing wave back the least of other brands and ignore me the most. Most look like over weight aging clowns.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »
I went into the Mile High Harley Davidson dealer about 2 years ago looking for accessories.  I was looking around at different stuff for over 20 minutes and not 1 single person even said "hi" to me, let alone helped me with anything at all.  Didn't even get a single question answered.  Even after walking around for 20 minutes, not a single person said "bye" as I was walking out the door either.  Maybe it was because I wasn't dressed like an ass clown.......
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

xpertmachinist

• Neophyte
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »
I have had a similar experience at thunder mountain HD.
Needed a cable from the parts department, felt like I was begging to get them to sell me parts.  :o   It has been ok out at high country HD . Parts people there are pretty decent.

mc35803

• Neophyte
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »
hhhmmm maybe Harley dealers in the Southeast are friendlier :-\   Only issue i've ever had was in North Carolina where the dealer (of 3 chains in different cities) added the 1st Service and an accessory tax to each bike.  Depending on the model, the tax was 1000 - 3000 and was non-negotiable.  They told me that most people by the bikes and add stuff like after market exhaust etc so they just added it to their prices (and financing).  Dumbest thing I ever saw and people were still buying bikes from them.  I did not and was really disgusted with the whole attitude they had.
Miles

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
Ohio HD dealers are not terribly friendly either (that I've found)  Their service dept was actually quite helpful, but their sales and gear shop were total jerks.  Didn't even get up to say hello.  Of course the 'ride British' t shirt I had on may have contributed.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Elliotthd

• Scooter
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 02:56:42 PM »
I love Harley's. They have two wheels and go fast. Anything that has two wheels and goes fast is okay by me. I may also me in the minority, but most of my t-shirts are motorcycle related. Either from rides, or rallies, or shows. I don't favor a brand in particular, but a few of them are in fact Harley Davidson. And I wear a vest with assorted patches I've acquired over the years. My Harley Logo is right above my Triumph logo and right below my Honda wing. (That has gotten some sneers from some pretty up tight "bikers".) But there are those guys that just seem to want to be a "biker". They have the look, the attitude, and the bike, but if you look at their odometer, it is usually only in the triple digits. And it's a shame to me, to let a beautiful motorcycle just rot away in a garage like that year after year. I don't even own a car anymore. My Enfield is my daily driver, I tour on my souped up Honda and bar hop and rally on one of my two customs. The XS750 gets a lot of compliments since you don't often see a three cylinder, shaft drive, hard tail. The old heads love that bike. I just wish there wasn't this divide within the motorcycle community. There are way WAY too many cool fucking bikes to be a snob about any one brand or style.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
I also love Harleys, but just can't deal with the culture. I have put a few thousand miles on a couple of Sportsters that were not mine. Loved the sound and feel. They were a bit cramped for me, though I'm sure that with the right seat/bar/peg combination that could have been fixed. I considered a used Sportster when I bought the Enfield. But then I remember how Sportster riders are treated by "real" Harley riders, and just decided to stay away from that scene altogether. So far my Enfield has been accepted by most Harley riders. Most Ural riders are also accepted. It seems to be mostly a Harley/Japanese thing, and that is probably due to the way the Japanese blatantly copy Harley and their identity. Had the Japanese continued to build standard bikes or even inline four cruisers, a lot of that animosity probably wouldn't exist. Some Japanese bikes look so much like Harleys you have to get REAL close to tell the difference.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 02:23:04 AM »
I decided today that I renaming "Ape Hangers" to "Darwin Bars".  ;D
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk