HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

SinglesRide2

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2014, 11:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeking Computer Battery Advice  (Read 113 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Seeking Computer Battery Advice
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:13:07 AM »
My Dell laptop battery has suddenly died. It lasted a few years. These computer batteries are confusing because of their connection terminals, shape, size, volts, number of cells in it, amp-hours, etc ... etc..

I have checked Staples, OfficeDepot, Dell (computer manufacturer), BestBuy and am getting very different prices - ranging from $45, $94, $150 !!  There may even be lower price at Amazon but who knows who is selling those items, so am not trying that.

No brick-mortar store carries these batteries where one can go and pick up what you need.

What is a reliable source of getting proper and correct computer battery at a reasonable price ?   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:52:48 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Seeking Computer Expert Advice for Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:32 AM »
I used the following over the years. Haven't had a problem:

Tiger Direct
Batteriesplus.com

I've used Amazon but watch who the seller is...
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Re: Seeking Computer Battery Advice
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »
Doesn't batteries + have service to revitalize laptop batteries? I would call. If not they have decent prices on new ones. Also go to their web page and check out there coupons. I think they have a corporate site with coupons and the local store also has a web page with coupon offers. I don't think you can combine them but one is usually better than the other. Good luck with that.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

pmanaz1973

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
When my Toshiba battery died I ended up getting one off of Amazon - cheap $45.00...well I got what I paid for.  It lasted about three days past it's warranty of 6 months.

Went with a much better quality battery from newegg.com   It was about $85.00 and is still running strong three years later.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:07:01 AM »
Computer batteries have a milliamp hour rating, the larger the number the longer the run time. So take note of what is on your old battery pack and try to get one the same or higher unless you don't need much run time before a recharge. Of course it needs to be the same voltage as your old one. Some of the newer style lithium based batteries will require a new charger too.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »
Found a BatteryPlus store near me. They had the battery equivalent to my laptop's original battery for $100.

Then I found online Laptop Battery Express website which is so user friendly that I was totally impressed. In 2 key strokes you will find your battery ! The price was $65. Ordered online and got it in 4 days.

They sent me slightly bigger battery than what I had ordered. A sticker on the invoice said that this battery has more amp-hours and will last longer than what I had ordered, at no extra cost.

It fits right and protrudes out from back of laptop. It has 9 cells and 7800 mAH.

The battery was 85% charged when received. After connecting to power it was 100% charged quickly. BUT I wanted to test if it really holds power. So I disconnected electric plug and to my surprise the battery power fell rapidly to very low in a very short time. Then I saw instructions in the box that the battery should be charged and allowed to discharge 5 times during the first week. Do not completely discharge. So I let it discharge to about 25%, charge it again to 100%, disconnect power and repeat. Now it is holding charge as it should and can run laptop on battery for 3 or 4 hours. Looks like it is working as of now.

Original Dell battery lasted at least 5 years, so no complaints on that. The new one has 2 year warranty on the website, but the invoice does NOT have any warranty listed anywhere. So we shall see how long it really lasts.

It is very confusing to do the search from so many websites that sell batteries. So it is helpful to know one or two good ones, who are trustworthy, send a good product and are reasonable in price.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:47:38 PM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5