HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

de luxe

in
Members Rides

52 Guests, 7 Users (2 Hidden)
barenekd, Ducati Scotty, johno, TheContinental, flyman
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2014, 09:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Tires - Front end bounce  (Read 16 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
New Tires - Front end bounce
« on: Today at 05:40:05 PM »
Hey guys,
I've done 500 miles with new Avon Distanzias on my DRZ400SM and the front end will hop between 40-50.  It's fine below that and above it, and it's really fine there too when I'm up in the revs, but if I'm droning along at a low rpm at those speeds it gets a good hop going.  I've had the shop re-balance the tires, and they believe the wheel is true and the spokes are tight.  The mounting looks good and there aren't any visible spots flat spots in the tire.  When the did the second balancing, they adjusted the front suspension a little to see if it was some sort of sweet spot, harmonic effect.  This did change where the bounce was, as it was originally at about 7-10 mph higher than where it is now.

If it was a bad tire or out of round, I would think I'd be feeling it at all speeds.  Same if it wasn't mounted correctly.  I'm running at bike factory recommended air pressure. 

I have a few things I could try with the shop, like swapping out the front tire for another to test, but I'm curious if you have any suggestions before I do that.

Thanks.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Re: New Tires - Front end bounce
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:52:58 PM »
New tires have a balance mark that should line up with the valve when mounted. Your problem sounds like a tire problem. Maybe some kind of belt separation that is not visible. I would also check your rear tire for any problems. Sometimes rear suspension, tire/wheel problems can transfer forward which makes the problem tough to diagnose.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)