HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

chris-bartlett & Enfield

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 10:02:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?  (Read 11497 times)

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
dealer wanting to break-in bike ?
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:19:38 AM »
just joined the forum . looking to buy a classic from local dealer
he says he has too break-in bike or there is no warentee ?????
does this sound wright ?

if this is the case i might as well buy a used one !! ???

4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Re: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
the enfield is not like a honda or other modern bike, im shure this dealer has had the experience of people geting impatient and not breaking in thier new bike  causing major problems that he had to fix. my dealer is reluctant to let out a new bike without putting some easy miles on it . because i was 65     years old and had owned many british bikes he let me take it with only about 7 factory miles on it ( they test them at the factory ) somehow he could tell i was the type to carefully break in the bike. he also put in new oil ( at 7 miles) because he didnt trust the factory oil.  a proper break in is necessary for longevity  I hope you get your enfield  and have many happy miles.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
OK bob thanks .. how many miles do you think is acceptable ?
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
   My dealer, Vince's in Olympia, Wa., wants the first service done at 300 miles. I think thats a good time to do the first checkup on a Bullet.Many Japanese bike makers want it done at 500-600, but a Bullet isn't a Japanese bike. As for a dealer doing the breakin? I don't see how thats practical.I guess that would be okay if they want to, say, put on the first 300 miles, then do the service/inspection/adjust everything/oil change, and then sell the bike.But somehow, I don't see a dealer doing it.How would they have the staff and time to do it?
    As you will hear over and over, the break in is more critical on a Royal Enfield than the more modern bikes.It is also said to last longer. Many will say that the breakin period last untill 1000-1500 miles.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

deejay

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
OK bob thanks .. how many miles do you think is acceptable ?

I did not go over 40-45mph until I had 800 miles on my bike, not even to test out 5th gear. Sounds like your dealer is "in the know", and has the experience to know how important a proper break in is.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
i think you have to find out what he means be breakin.  jon has a good point  the dealer couldnt possibly break it in completely . you will probably get a lot of advice here just sift thru it  and talk with the dealer. and keep us posted .   bob
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
So your basically saying your dealer wants to ride your bike for the first season? It takes a long time to make those miles at the recommended speeds. This has to be a first, We all know how important the break in period is but I think this takes it too far.

deejay

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
So your basically saying your dealer wants to ride your bike for the first season? It takes a long time to make those miles at the recommended speeds. This has to be a first, We all know how important the break in period is but I think this takes it too far.

I'm thinking the dealer wants to probably put 100 miles on it. I've heard of that before with another Enfield dealer, probably the same one.

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
well i am going to ride my jap bike over to the dealer tomorrow to ask some more questions . he says he has one iron engine left !! he says i can test ride it !!!
i guess that helps him break in a bike if the customers can ride it for him while he is doing other things . i hope that every one that has rode the bike has done it the wright way ??
checked with the bank and the insurance today ! WOW ! insurance is cheep on this bike !!!
thanks for yowls help ill let ya know how it goes !
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:45 AM »
i think i can get the first thousand down in less than a month.....i hope ?
there is no season down here i can ride year round !! ;D ;D ;D
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
I found it hard to actually ride that slow, and most times impossible. After 300 miles I gave up and just rode it. I think whats important is just knowing what the bikes limitations are. I believe any competant biker will instinctively know when they are pushing it too far. I also believe this intensive break in thing is a bit of "cover your ass" for the factory's quality control. I think if you got a bad engine, all the breaking in the world is not going to help. What could the flaws be that would warrant that kind of break in in this century?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »
found it hard to actually ride that slow, and most times impossible

i agree.. i don't have 1000 miles yet,, as my driveway is a series of waNna B catfIsH PoNds.. and havN had drive shaft bikes for the last 30 years I'm real reluctant to have to clean the chain any more than needed....  so I wait for dryer days...  I have had the X up to around 60 or so... I always say listen to the engine it will let you know

DireWolf

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
My dealer put the first 200 on mine, after I bought it. 

Trusted him more than myself to break it in right.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
To break it in right can be either very tedious, or completely relaxing.  I took about 1500 miles and then gave my self another 20% on top of that.  While you're working your way up to a heart stopping 60 mph, you can really learn the machine, and ponder all the performance and touring mods you'll be spending your money on in the near future. 
It can be a long courtship, but it'll be worth it.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »
I once worked in a large Harley shop in the days when Harleys were running Ironhead Sportsters and such. Most of the Sportsters were going out the door to younger, less patient riders that wanted a hot rod. The shop had a dyno we would hook the bike up to and (disconnect the speedo) run in the bike like an hour on couple hours off sort of schedule. Particularly for the XR1000's that were pushing over 100 horses. The buyer often didn't know the motor had so many hours on it, but they got a bike that was literally better than new.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)