HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

diesel

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?  (Read 11513 times)

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
dealer wanting to break-in bike ?
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:19:38 AM »
just joined the forum . looking to buy a classic from local dealer
he says he has too break-in bike or there is no warentee ?????
does this sound wright ?

if this is the case i might as well buy a used one !! ???

4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Re: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
the enfield is not like a honda or other modern bike, im shure this dealer has had the experience of people geting impatient and not breaking in thier new bike  causing major problems that he had to fix. my dealer is reluctant to let out a new bike without putting some easy miles on it . because i was 65     years old and had owned many british bikes he let me take it with only about 7 factory miles on it ( they test them at the factory ) somehow he could tell i was the type to carefully break in the bike. he also put in new oil ( at 7 miles) because he didnt trust the factory oil.  a proper break in is necessary for longevity  I hope you get your enfield  and have many happy miles.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
OK bob thanks .. how many miles do you think is acceptable ?
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
   My dealer, Vince's in Olympia, Wa., wants the first service done at 300 miles. I think thats a good time to do the first checkup on a Bullet.Many Japanese bike makers want it done at 500-600, but a Bullet isn't a Japanese bike. As for a dealer doing the breakin? I don't see how thats practical.I guess that would be okay if they want to, say, put on the first 300 miles, then do the service/inspection/adjust everything/oil change, and then sell the bike.But somehow, I don't see a dealer doing it.How would they have the staff and time to do it?
    As you will hear over and over, the break in is more critical on a Royal Enfield than the more modern bikes.It is also said to last longer. Many will say that the breakin period last untill 1000-1500 miles.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

deejay

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
OK bob thanks .. how many miles do you think is acceptable ?

I did not go over 40-45mph until I had 800 miles on my bike, not even to test out 5th gear. Sounds like your dealer is "in the know", and has the experience to know how important a proper break in is.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
i think you have to find out what he means be breakin.  jon has a good point  the dealer couldnt possibly break it in completely . you will probably get a lot of advice here just sift thru it  and talk with the dealer. and keep us posted .   bob
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
So your basically saying your dealer wants to ride your bike for the first season? It takes a long time to make those miles at the recommended speeds. This has to be a first, We all know how important the break in period is but I think this takes it too far.

deejay

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
So your basically saying your dealer wants to ride your bike for the first season? It takes a long time to make those miles at the recommended speeds. This has to be a first, We all know how important the break in period is but I think this takes it too far.

I'm thinking the dealer wants to probably put 100 miles on it. I've heard of that before with another Enfield dealer, probably the same one.

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
well i am going to ride my jap bike over to the dealer tomorrow to ask some more questions . he says he has one iron engine left !! he says i can test ride it !!!
i guess that helps him break in a bike if the customers can ride it for him while he is doing other things . i hope that every one that has rode the bike has done it the wright way ??
checked with the bank and the insurance today ! WOW ! insurance is cheep on this bike !!!
thanks for yowls help ill let ya know how it goes !
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

Mr Magoo

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:45 AM »
i think i can get the first thousand down in less than a month.....i hope ?
there is no season down here i can ride year round !! ;D ;D ;D
4 wheels move your body
                                 2 wheels move your soul

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Theres a last time for everything
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
I found it hard to actually ride that slow, and most times impossible. After 300 miles I gave up and just rode it. I think whats important is just knowing what the bikes limitations are. I believe any competant biker will instinctively know when they are pushing it too far. I also believe this intensive break in thing is a bit of "cover your ass" for the factory's quality control. I think if you got a bad engine, all the breaking in the world is not going to help. What could the flaws be that would warrant that kind of break in in this century?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »
found it hard to actually ride that slow, and most times impossible

i agree.. i don't have 1000 miles yet,, as my driveway is a series of waNna B catfIsH PoNds.. and havN had drive shaft bikes for the last 30 years I'm real reluctant to have to clean the chain any more than needed....  so I wait for dryer days...  I have had the X up to around 60 or so... I always say listen to the engine it will let you know

DireWolf

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
My dealer put the first 200 on mine, after I bought it. 

Trusted him more than myself to break it in right.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
To break it in right can be either very tedious, or completely relaxing.  I took about 1500 miles and then gave my self another 20% on top of that.  While you're working your way up to a heart stopping 60 mph, you can really learn the machine, and ponder all the performance and touring mods you'll be spending your money on in the near future. 
It can be a long courtship, but it'll be worth it.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »
I once worked in a large Harley shop in the days when Harleys were running Ironhead Sportsters and such. Most of the Sportsters were going out the door to younger, less patient riders that wanted a hot rod. The shop had a dyno we would hook the bike up to and (disconnect the speedo) run in the bike like an hour on couple hours off sort of schedule. Particularly for the XR1000's that were pushing over 100 horses. The buyer often didn't know the motor had so many hours on it, but they got a bike that was literally better than new.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

rpnix

• Bulleteer
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »
So essentially, you illegally put miles on the engine that weren't reflected in the odometer? I'm glad I didn't have yours as my dealer....
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Babaganoush

• Neophyte
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 01:27:29 AM »
I was looking onto buying my bike at ScooterBob's  http://www.scooterbob.com/  but was put off at first since I read somewhere on his site that he runs the bikes for 100 miles before he turns them over to the customer. I originally wanted to break it in like the Motoman guy does.   http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm  I have since decided it is better for Greg to do what he knows to be best and 100 miles is not excessive. Maybe I can get him to change the oil after 20 or 30 miles like MotoMan says- to get the big chips out.

Dave

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »
So essentially, you illegally put miles on the engine that weren't reflected in the odometer? I'm glad I didn't have yours as my dealer....

Yup. The shop was quite well known for selling "good bikes" during a time that HD was developing a rep for poor quality. Not only did we sell locally, but we'd ship all over the country and many a famous person got theirs at the shop in time for the local rally. probably the first shop that would pick people up at the airport and let them ride home with no serious problems. That was no longer needed after the AMF days ended and Willie G got the company back and rolled out the Evo line.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 03:53:18 AM »
Let me add that Scooter Bobs is a dealership that we get very good customer feedback from. He knows what he is doing.

michigandon

• Scooter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:29 AM »
Terry Crawford also told me that he puts at least 75 miles or so on the bike himself before he releases it to the customer.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »
As is Terri Crawford and Vince. I would buy a Royal Enfield from any one of them with complete confidance.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
Terry Crawford brought over my Military about a year ago with around 65 miles on the odometer. But, he also lets them run in his shop with big fans on them for a good period of time before he evens start actually riding them. He knows what he's doing and he's been a good dealer to me.

There are all kinds of horror stories out there about idiots who buy these things and ride them home at 60mph only to find the exhaust has turned blue from the engine to the cat, and then wants the dealer to fix it for free. That ain't right. If you're dumb enough not to know what these bikes need, then you should fix what you screw up.

In the real world, its not always that simple, so dealers (good ones, anyway) are doing some of the intial break in (the most critical) miles before the sale, to offset future problems and expensive fixes.

So to answer Mr Magoo, I'd let the dealer do the break in miles and be assured you have a good bike from the offset. Read the manual, do your homework and don't screw up an otherwise great bike by being impatient. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:55:55 AM by BanditRE »
2007 Military. It needs some company now the Suzuki has left the stable..........

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
I purchased a 2008 AVL Deluxe this past Thursday, to be delivered this Saturday. My dealer told me he would put about 100 miles on it, then change all the fluids before delivery.

He knows better than me how to break 'em in. I plan on following his advice to the letter.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
Whoever your dealer is must be a great dealer. I would stick very close to him/her

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
PS, Welcome to the family

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
Thanks!

I'll put in a plug for him. Mark of Motorcycle Warehouse in Oxford NJ. Small dealer in a small town. RE expert and one heck of a nice guy.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »
I wnat to add my thoughts about that "quick break in procedure that gets bandied about. I would seriously think about waiting to do that until you have had to rering/rebuild. It may very well be a fine alternative on the newest designed bikes but remember that with the enfield in particular, you are not just seating the rings but mating the engine internals as well. Perhaps when you replace the jug and piston you can run those in this way.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
I just purchased a brand new state of the art GM vehicle and the breaking instructions are not much different that those for the Enfield. Don't go over 55 for 500 miles, don't drive at a steady speed for very long at t time, don't tow for  500 miles, when you do start to tow don't go over 55 for another 500 miles. Common sense.

I am old enough to remember all of the old wives tales about breaking in vehicles. There are a couple of things to remember about these stories. Most emanate from the 1940's-1960's. In the 40's and to some degree the 50's engine blocks would "age harden". in some plants it was common practice to put raw blocks outside to let the weather at them to harden the cast iron. At that time it was state of the art. Over time it only got worse. I have worked on old Ford Flatheads that were so hard that it took out more than one machine tool boring them. Chatter was also a big issue when boring because of the hardness. Then along came chrome rings which were great but were a bit tougher to break in. Most shops has some very fine sand (dust like)  in their arsenal. We would throw a small handful down the carburetor on an engine where the rings were having trouble seating. Crude but effective and not uncommon. It was thought that the quick and rough treatment would help break in rings. Maybe yes, maybe no. It was also a common rumor that if you wanted an engine to be fast you had to drive it like you stole it when brand-new.
  Now roll forward - even the cheapest worst oil available today is vastly superior to what was available back in the day. Materials are much advanced from those day, engineering is vastly improved etc. The stories from back in the day all had a kernel of truth in them, but they just plain don't apply today.
  The last thing you need to worry about is "seating the rings". I have NEVER sold an Enfield where this was an issue and I have sold thousands. What you do need to worry about is the heat generated by a new "stiff" engine. I would say "Drive it like you own it". Be extremely easy on it for the first 500 miles, then easy on it for the next 500. Your bike will last longer and run better in the long run. Running them hard and hot while new will not lead to anything good.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 05:26:04 PM »
Drive it like you own it. I like that.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 06:42:31 AM »
This has made me think. When I chose a bike in the showrooms in India, I refused the one I realy wanted because it had 24 miles on it.  I thought some one might have had it and rejected it for some reason. Instead I chose one with 4 miles on it.

When I collected it 3 days later after week end it had 27 miles on it like the first one????    I wondered if they also like to put a few on them.

I believe they dyno them for a while at the factory, not to see HP but just to make sure there is no clonks or banging.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:47 AM »
Each bike is run on the dyno at the factory. They measure fuel consum[ption and check the electricals. They are then each ridden on the test track for a few kilometers. I would guess that most bikes come with about 7 miles on them.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:16 AM »
i am curious how the break in period for the UCE engine will pan out. you think it will be under the ironbarrel and AVL 1000? i'm planning on breaking mine in in the NYC metropolitan area, so my conditions are ideal (lots of stop and go, nothing above 35 mph most of the time).would be nice to know how long i should break it in so i know if i should push it for a 3 day tour to get me to school.

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
My dealer had already put 150+ miles on my '07,and  cautioned me to continue the
'process' that he'd started.....I think the dealers are expected to 'sort out' each
new RE by accumulating 100-200 miles,which is fine......

Sam in Indiana

retrorider

• Neophyte
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
It's nice to know some dealers care about the customer. My dealer didn't even set the bike up properly. It's too bad the customer service with Enfield has been so bad (three unreturned calls to MN). I have a friend who was going to buy one but changed his mind after seeing all the trouble I've had to go through! I love my bike now that's it's running ok and hope nobody else has to go through this!

spliznat

• Neophyte
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:52 AM »
Kevin...............What do you think of the guys up at Twin City Custom Cyles?? They have not mentioned a break in period, but knew from watching the forums here.
From Dream To Dream, We Have Always Been Like An Ever Flowing Stream

pknopp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
 I have a 2000. There isn't a dealer anywhere near me. ( 2 1/2 hours ). I bought mine from a dealer going out of the business 12 hours away. He was going this way to pick up another bike and dropped it off to me. I believe it had like 12 miles on it.

Rolled it off the truck and said "thank you very much". LOL. I rode it very easily the first 300. Easy for the next 200 and didn't really run it anywhere close to hard for the next few hundred.

Here it is in 2009 and I've replaced the headlight, publights, plug and oil (both more than a few times). That's it. I got it out this week after having sat for months. Changed the oil. Gave it a once over. Fresh gas. Two kicks with the compression release engaged. Kick. Brump, brump, brump, brump.

Right or wrong break in, it's seemed to have worked.
2000 Dlx

michigandon

• Scooter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
I seized the piston in my 2007 classic last fall.  :-[ (more about that later) Took it to Crawford Sales and just had Terry and his help fix it for me due to lack of time. Got it back with instructions NOT to exceed 45-50 MPH for at least the next 500 miles.

I plan to resist the temptation and do exactly as he says!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
I seized the piston in my 2007 classic last fall.  :-[ (more about that later) Took it to Crawford Sales and just had Terry and his help fix it for me due to lack of time. Got it back with instructions NOT to exceed 45-50 MPH for at least the next 500 miles.

I plan to resist the temptation and do exactly as he says!

I would definitely follow the break-in procedure to the tee. Ace wrote in a thread a while back about the importance of this to properly seat the rings. The speeds and mileage your dealer quoted are far from sufficient. Also changing the oil after the first 100 miles is also a good thing to do at the start of your break-in.

To resist temptation put some tape on with markings for 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4. This will remind you each and every time where you are in your break-in period and keep you focused on your throttle position. Try not to lug the bike while riding, keep your RPM's up and you will be fine.

Second times a charm!
Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

michigandon

• Scooter
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »

I would definitely follow the break-in procedure to the tee. Ace wrote in a thread a while back about the importance of this to properly seat the rings. The speeds and mileage your dealer quoted are far from sufficient. Also changing the oil after the first 100 miles is also a good thing to do at the start of your break-in.

To resist temptation put some tape on with markings for 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4. This will remind you each and every time where you are in your break-in period and keep you focused on your throttle position. Try not to lug the bike while riding, keep your RPM's up and you will be fine.

Second times a charm!
Blltrdr

Not to worry, I took it out for a (cold!) ride yesterday and only used half-throttle for short bursts. And I stayed on roads where I knew the traffic was going to be light. Putting marks on the throttle is a very good idea though. 

I bought this bike last spring with ~400 miles on it, went very easy on it up until 1000 miles, then enjoyed another 3000+ trouble-free miles up until the piston seizing ordeal, which I believe was 110% my fault. Then again, what did the PO do to it in the short period he had it?

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
Then again, what did the PO do to it in the short period he had it?

Exacto Respondo! You are now in the position of being the PO. When you final decide to sell your Bullet it will be your careful and thought out break-in of your Bullet that will be your selling point. Everybody on this or any other forum that have properly broke in their Bullet have had very few problems and plenty of worry free miles. It is very tempting to push it; the process of break-in on this bike is very time consuming. I have read of many owners putting 2500 miles on their bike to properly seat the rings. Remember, every Bullet, rider and terrain is different which leads to different break-in periods.

Good luck Don
Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »
I just bought my RE with a massive 11 miles on the odometer, and I've been (and will be) following break-in procedures.  The city I live in has a default/unmarked speed limit of 25mph, and while it has hills the downtown area is pretty flat with only mild stop-and-go driving.  Just tonight I took it down the hill and essentially drove it back and forth on the downtown strip, while also taking a few residential detours.  Gotta be sure that the neighbors are awake, you know :)

From what I'm told, a proper break-in will get you into the friend zone with second gear, serious with third gear, fluttery with fourth, and adopt a "look but don't touch" policy with fifth.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!