HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

1976 CB550

in
Members Rides

61 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 07:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?  (Read 11347 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: dealer wanting to break-in bike ?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:47 AM »
Each bike is run on the dyno at the factory. They measure fuel consum[ption and check the electricals. They are then each ridden on the test track for a few kilometers. I would guess that most bikes come with about 7 miles on them.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:16 AM »
i am curious how the break in period for the UCE engine will pan out. you think it will be under the ironbarrel and AVL 1000? i'm planning on breaking mine in in the NYC metropolitan area, so my conditions are ideal (lots of stop and go, nothing above 35 mph most of the time).would be nice to know how long i should break it in so i know if i should push it for a 3 day tour to get me to school.

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
My dealer had already put 150+ miles on my '07,and  cautioned me to continue the
'process' that he'd started.....I think the dealers are expected to 'sort out' each
new RE by accumulating 100-200 miles,which is fine......

Sam in Indiana

retrorider

• Neophyte
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
It's nice to know some dealers care about the customer. My dealer didn't even set the bike up properly. It's too bad the customer service with Enfield has been so bad (three unreturned calls to MN). I have a friend who was going to buy one but changed his mind after seeing all the trouble I've had to go through! I love my bike now that's it's running ok and hope nobody else has to go through this!

spliznat

• Neophyte
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:52 AM »
Kevin...............What do you think of the guys up at Twin City Custom Cyles?? They have not mentioned a break in period, but knew from watching the forums here.
From Dream To Dream, We Have Always Been Like An Ever Flowing Stream

pknopp

• Bulleteer
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
 I have a 2000. There isn't a dealer anywhere near me. ( 2 1/2 hours ). I bought mine from a dealer going out of the business 12 hours away. He was going this way to pick up another bike and dropped it off to me. I believe it had like 12 miles on it.

Rolled it off the truck and said "thank you very much". LOL. I rode it very easily the first 300. Easy for the next 200 and didn't really run it anywhere close to hard for the next few hundred.

Here it is in 2009 and I've replaced the headlight, publights, plug and oil (both more than a few times). That's it. I got it out this week after having sat for months. Changed the oil. Gave it a once over. Fresh gas. Two kicks with the compression release engaged. Kick. Brump, brump, brump, brump.

Right or wrong break in, it's seemed to have worked.
2000 Dlx

michigandon

• Scooter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
I seized the piston in my 2007 classic last fall.  :-[ (more about that later) Took it to Crawford Sales and just had Terry and his help fix it for me due to lack of time. Got it back with instructions NOT to exceed 45-50 MPH for at least the next 500 miles.

I plan to resist the temptation and do exactly as he says!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
I seized the piston in my 2007 classic last fall.  :-[ (more about that later) Took it to Crawford Sales and just had Terry and his help fix it for me due to lack of time. Got it back with instructions NOT to exceed 45-50 MPH for at least the next 500 miles.

I plan to resist the temptation and do exactly as he says!

I would definitely follow the break-in procedure to the tee. Ace wrote in a thread a while back about the importance of this to properly seat the rings. The speeds and mileage your dealer quoted are far from sufficient. Also changing the oil after the first 100 miles is also a good thing to do at the start of your break-in.

To resist temptation put some tape on with markings for 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4. This will remind you each and every time where you are in your break-in period and keep you focused on your throttle position. Try not to lug the bike while riding, keep your RPM's up and you will be fine.

Second times a charm!
Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

michigandon

• Scooter
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »

I would definitely follow the break-in procedure to the tee. Ace wrote in a thread a while back about the importance of this to properly seat the rings. The speeds and mileage your dealer quoted are far from sufficient. Also changing the oil after the first 100 miles is also a good thing to do at the start of your break-in.

To resist temptation put some tape on with markings for 1/4, 1/2, & 3/4. This will remind you each and every time where you are in your break-in period and keep you focused on your throttle position. Try not to lug the bike while riding, keep your RPM's up and you will be fine.

Second times a charm!
Blltrdr

Not to worry, I took it out for a (cold!) ride yesterday and only used half-throttle for short bursts. And I stayed on roads where I knew the traffic was going to be light. Putting marks on the throttle is a very good idea though. 

I bought this bike last spring with ~400 miles on it, went very easy on it up until 1000 miles, then enjoyed another 3000+ trouble-free miles up until the piston seizing ordeal, which I believe was 110% my fault. Then again, what did the PO do to it in the short period he had it?

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
Then again, what did the PO do to it in the short period he had it?

Exacto Respondo! You are now in the position of being the PO. When you final decide to sell your Bullet it will be your careful and thought out break-in of your Bullet that will be your selling point. Everybody on this or any other forum that have properly broke in their Bullet have had very few problems and plenty of worry free miles. It is very tempting to push it; the process of break-in on this bike is very time consuming. I have read of many owners putting 2500 miles on their bike to properly seat the rings. Remember, every Bullet, rider and terrain is different which leads to different break-in periods.

Good luck Don
Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »
I just bought my RE with a massive 11 miles on the odometer, and I've been (and will be) following break-in procedures.  The city I live in has a default/unmarked speed limit of 25mph, and while it has hills the downtown area is pretty flat with only mild stop-and-go driving.  Just tonight I took it down the hill and essentially drove it back and forth on the downtown strip, while also taking a few residential detours.  Gotta be sure that the neighbors are awake, you know :)

From what I'm told, a proper break-in will get you into the friend zone with second gear, serious with third gear, fluttery with fourth, and adopt a "look but don't touch" policy with fifth.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!