HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

2012 EFI Electra

in
Members Rides

43 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 08:01:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 7 Inch Headlight Conversion Kit  (Read 5944 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
7 Inch Headlight Conversion Kit
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
Has anyone installed the 7 Inch Headlight Conversion Kit that uses the standard sealed beam headlight on their RE?

From what I've been able to dig out, the Halogen bulbed style can have an interference problem with the speedometer cable and some of the wiring harness?

I'm hoping that the 7" sealed beam doesn't have this problem but it might so that's why I'm asking.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Re: 7 Inch Headlight Conversion Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
All 5 of my Enfields have had 7" headlights with H6024 sealed beams in em with no issues with hitting the speedo cable. The wiring tabs do have to be bent out slightly but aside from that no problem.
I did try a H4 bulb in my 95 but the charging system couldn't keep up with it.
CJ 
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2012 Concours 14 (no name yet)
2013 Royal Star Venture S  "Jelly Roll"

ChrisS

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:28:41 AM »
I had no problems with installing the 7" Tribar in my B5.  Move a bit of the wiring aside and bent a couple of tabs and it goes in like Flint.  My bigest problem was getting the W clips to fit.
2011 RE B5
2009 HD Ultra Classic
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

REpozer

• Superfly and
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
Never heard of  such a thing.

Installed a 7''Minda headlight kit without that ever being  problem.

Then again my RE was hand made by artisans.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:35:22 AM »
This post has been replaced with one further down.
Please ignore the photos in this post as they are incorrect.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:15:20 PM by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
Your W clips are in backwards.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
That's OK.
I've got the headlight upside down too.  :(

At least that's what it looks like today in the brightness of the sunshine.

After I actually do get this headlight installed and working I will edit the above post and most likely make a new one.

As for the W clips, I've had them installed both ways and they hold the bulb in place but with them installed the way I have them, the small U lays nice and flat on the flat lip of the headlight forming a third point of retention.
To me, this looked better.

Can you think of a reason to install them the other way around?  ???
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
Can you think of a reason to install them the other way around?  ???

I have no idea. Never saw any installed like that though.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
Thank you t120rbullet :)

When installed like you show in your pictures the clips are much easier to install and more importantly, the legs do not interfere with the mating chrome adapter ringj!

Those of you who buy one of these headlights that use the wire clips should ignore my pictures of the clips and give a close look at t120's pictures.

Thanks again.
Jim
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
As is mentioned in NfieldGear, the 7" headlight I got has LUCAS boldly formed into the glass lens.

I also found after I had installed the bulb and the bulb retainer (the one with the wires coming out of the back) that Lucas is still living up to its deserved reputation.

The bulb tested good (made by Autolamps for pre 1970 Lucas headlights) so once the retainer was installed I tested it by hooking it up to a 12 volt Miata battery.

One beam worked fine.  The other not at all.
The light retainer can only be installed in one position and the spring loaded contacts were connected to the wires so, after removing and reinstalling the retainer 4 times with no success, I used some blue language.

While muttering more of the blue language I installed the retainer once again and.........SUCCESS!  Both beams now light! :)

I guess I'm mentioning this because the light retainers spring loaded contacts are more than a little loosie goosie and they don't always make contact with the bulb when you twist it to lock it in place.
With this in mind, I suggest that using some blue language  like, "G$#!&(##%^#@$" and "@@&%^!@*%&######!!!!!" may help to get both high and low beam working.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
This is a total rewrite of my first post about installing the LUCAS 7" Headlight to replace the one I made above.

These instructions are for the NEW UCE style motorcycles so the wiring refers to those bikes.  The wire colors on the older models may be different.

OK.  The store was out of the lower cost 7" headlight so I ordered the Lucas one and received it today.
I was hoping it would come with the Lucas Smoke in an aerosol can but they forgot to pack it.  ;D

There may be other posts about getting the light installed in the front ring but I'll mention how I did it if it is OK with you folks. :)

I started off by marking the top dead center of the bulb onto the metal rear so I could see up from down.  This was nice because during the installation of the wire clips you will be working on the back side so you cannot see the bulbs face.
 That TDC marking goes directly opposite the sheet metal clip that fits into the slot in the adapter ring.
That clip in the chrome ring that locates the headlight ring onto the adapter ring will be at the bottom when you install everything on your motorcycle.

As some of you know, as soon as you start to install a wire retaining clip, the light tries to kick away from it.  That would cause much grief if something wasn't done to keep it from happening.
With this in mind, I cut two 3/8" wide pieces off of a paint stirring stick and placed them between the back of the light flange and the sheet metal tab with two ears sticking up.  That held the light down so I could install the first wire clip.

When you start to install the wire clips that will hold the light into the chrome ring, a good pair of needle nose pliers are essential.  I don't think there is any way of doing the needed bending of the wire clips with just your fingers.

To install a wire clip, FIRST, position the bulb with the TDC mark directly opposite the center of the bent sheet metal clip that's on the ring.

Then, if you have them, put the wooden restraining blocks between the forked sheet metal clip and the back of the rim of the headlight.

Then, place a clip with the two bottoms of the W shape down between the outside flange edge of the light rim and the chrome ring.  The middle loop that is between the two bottoms of the W should be pointed inward so it will overlap the outside flange of the light.

With the clip in this position, hook one of the two top ends of the W under the rolled edge on the rim.
Using your needle nose pliers, grasp the loose upper end of the W and bend it downward, pushing it lightly outward against the rolled edge of the chrome ring.  
With enough force on the pliers, the loose end will bend enough to slide under the rolled edge and slide up into place.

Install the next wire clip about 180 degrees from the first one using the same methods.

Once the first two clips are installed, the light bulb will not move so you can breath easier.

Install at least one more clip for a total of 3.  I think 4 roughly equally spaced is better.
 Extra clips are included in the headlight kit but I think they are there in case you loose or break a few.

I suggest at this stage you turn the light around and turn it until the slot thru the ring is at the bottom.  The LUCAS marking on the light should read correctly.  If it is upside down, you have installed the bulb wrong.

By the way, you can (and probably will) remove the clips with the pliers and you will notice they have been bent a bit.  They are still safe to use and in fact, install much easier the second time you use them.

The wiring that was supplied on my light was set up with a two prong harness connector which won't work with the UCE wiring so I cut off the  plastic wiring connector from the green and blue wires.
Stripping the insulation back about 5/16" I installed a 1/4" wide male spade (flat) connector on each wire.  This is slightly narrower than the 5/16" wide spade connectors that are on the sealed beam headlight but it works fine when it is plugged into the bikes wiring harness.

The new light did not have a ground connector.  Instead, it had a copper loop to plug in a 3/16" male bullet connector.  I couldn't find one of these wiring connectors so I cut a 2" long piece of insulated #18 stranded copper wire and soldered one end to the copper grounding loop.  I installed another 1/4" wide spade connector on this ground wire.

Before proceeding it is a good idea to test your bulb.  If you don't have a 12 volt battery laying around the one on the motorcycle would work or you could use the one in your car.

With the light installed into the bulbs reflector and the wiring clip installed to retain it, run a wire from the battery to the copper grounding loop.
Connect another wire from the battery to either the green or the blue wire.  The bulb should light.  
Repeat this with the other colored wire.  Again the bulb should light.

I mention this because the Lucas bulb retainer I received only made contact with one of the bulbs two lead contacts.
After checking things over I figured it was just Lucas working against me, nothing that I had done wrong.
After plugging the bulb retainer in and out several times I finally got it installed so it was contacting both of the bulb connections and both beams worked like they are supposed to.  It is nice to know the light works before installing it on the motorcycle. :)

On the UCE models, when you disconnect the old headlight from the harness you will end up with a blue wire, a green wire and an amber colored wire.
The amber wire is the GROUND wire.
Hook up the harness BLUE wire with the BLUE wire on the bulbs socket.
Hook up the harness GREEN wire with the GREEN wire on the bulbs socket.
Hook up the AMBER wire with your newly made GROUND wire.

When I tried to install the ADAPTER RING that mounts on the headlight nacelle I found that the two lower holes were smaller than the screws that screw into the nacelle so I enlarged them both with a 3/16" drill bit.
After reworking the ring it installed easily.

I did find that the top retaining strap that hooks onto the headlight rim to hold it in place wouldn't work as supplied.
When tightened, it would not hook the headlight rim and hold it tightly in place.
Be sure to check this because if it looses its grip on the headlight ring, the light will fall out.

Looking at this strap, it was obvious that the central area was slightly bent rather than being flat like it should have been so, with a vise and a few light taps of a hammer I soon had made it flat.  Once this was done and reinstalled into the adapter ring it did catch the chrome headlight rim like it should and it held the light in place.

My G5 with its new LUCAS headlight and the smaller BULLET style turn signals is shown below.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:22:16 PM by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

ChrisS

• Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »
Those 7" lights do look good!
2011 RE B5
2009 HD Ultra Classic
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:44 AM »
A few thoughts now that I've ridden my motorcycle at night with the new headlight.

First, I should point out that the bulb is installed firmly in the headlight shell and the adapter ring which is installed on the nacelle just like the original.

The bulb that is supplied with the new light is an Autolamps 12V 50/40 W P36D.

The bulb is obviously made for use in countries which drive in the left hand lane.
On LOW beam  the light is focused about 35 feet in front of the motorcycle and about 3 feet to the Left.
On HIGH beam the beam hits the road about 60-80 feet in front of the bike and is centered with the direction the bike is pointed.

After doing some research I find that the bulb was common before the British went to sealed beam headlights and there are versions that "Dip to the Right", "Dip to the Left", and have a "Vertical Dip".

These Vertical Dip bulbs are made for motorcycles and in my opinion are the bulbs that should be supplied with the light.

Before installing the bulb I did notice that one filament is offset but I didn't think about it until now.
From what I read, the vertical dip bulbs two filaments are stacked in alignment with one another.

I also checked the NfieldGear area and didn't find any replacement bulbs but I'm sure PartsMan has some tucked away.

Anyway, for you guys who ride fast at night, I cannot recommend this light/bulb combination.
For folks like me who rarely ride at night and want a genuine LUCAS light, it looks very good.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 01:11:48 AM »
This is a total rewrite of my first post about installing the LUCAS 7" Headlight to replace the one I made above.

On the UCE models, when you disconnect the old headlight from the harness you will end up with a blue wire, a green wire and an amber colored wire.
The amber wire is the GROUND wire.
Hook up the harness BLUE wire with the BLUE wire on the bulbs socket.
Hook up the harness GREEN wire with the GREEN wire on the bulbs socket.
Hook up the AMBER wire with your newly made GROUND wire.

Thanks Jim for all the nice pictures, explanations, tips and your experience with Lucas 7" Headlight.  It looks very nice, however Lucas low beam is too close to the bike (35 feet), does not project too far in front of the bike to light up the road.  And high beam is only 60 - 80 feet ? So, it is not a good option if riding fast at night and it cannot be adjusted either.

I think my G5 headlight (OEM 5&3/4") at low beam reaches about 55 - 60 feet in front of bike, and hi beam goes pretty far a long ways ahead.

I wonder how Sealed beam 7" and Tribar 7" (Blue dot) compare to your Lucas headlight. How far they project their light at Low beam - Is their light beam straight in front of the bike or they project it to the right or left ?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:44:19 AM by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
I don't know about the other lights but I did adjust my light a bit.

By slotting the two lower screw holes in the adapter ring to the rear I was able to move the lower part of the light out.

The ring at the 4 and 8 o'clock  hole locations moved forward about 1/8" moving the lowest part of the light almost 3/16" outward.
This repositioned the center of the low beam  on the tarmac to around 45 feet in front of the motorcycle and the high beam is hitting "way out there" with no obvious bright spot on the road.

After doing this modification I did ride around the neighborhood on some dark streets and the low beam was lighting up things maybe 150 feet in front of me.  They just weren't lit very well.
The high beam is now lighting things over 200 feet in front of me but the power of the 50 watt bulb isn't very impressive.

As I mentioned, I don't usually ride at night and it is a neat looking lens that looks just about as "old school" as I could ask for.
I just wish it did a better job of lighting things up for those rare occasions when I do ride in the dark.

DARK!  THAT'S IT!  Lucas, prince of Darkness!   :D ;D

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe