HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Black Exhaust

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 10:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power Commander V Instal - 2014 C5 photos  (Read 629 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Power Commander V Instal - 2014 C5 photos
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
thought about running helium - but there are enough squeaks in the bike....lol
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt
2014 C5 tan/cheery - upgrades and work in progress

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
here are a few photos of the blacked out sections on the bike. before anyone jumps the gun and complains about paint lift on the engine casing -remember this was just sprayed straight on to the alloy etc etc. no prep like primer/undercoat etc etc.
I may want to take this back to original in the future and the more work i put into the prep - the harder it is for me to remove the resprayed work.
now if you decide to do something like this yourself and do it properly I think it will work well. especially on the header pipe muffler front forks etc and the rocker cover.
now if you look at the oil filter housing the paint has worn off there...exactly the spot where my right leg rubs against the alloy oil filter housing. apart from that the engine paint has held on extremely well. especially when one considers it was a very rough respray.
say on a time span the total time to do the right side engine cover and the full exhaust system was ....less than 10 minutes, front fork 2 minutes rocker cover probably 5 minutes - front wheel took longer. I used masking tape on the spokes and after that just sprayed it on. I'd say 15 minutes on the front wheel including the mask up.. over on the left side about another 10 minutes work.
now if I was doing it again I'd warm the bike up via a 10 kl ride. then mask it all up in one hit and I'd say from start to finish including the back wheel - under an hours work.
that's my way. if your looking at it as a permanent fixture - take your time and do it properly. ;)
I spray that many cars here I don't care about it or the paint but I do know if you put it on permanently - your in deepshi!!!t if later on you change your mind and want to remove it.
the way I would/will do it is to hit it with a bit of all purpose thinners and your back to originally colour pretty quick and once again all is well. when you get to the engine casing you have to be very careful you don't ruin the original engine paint so I'd mask off and work slow.
to give you an example I will venture out now to the bike and hit the rear of the efi muffler with some all purpose thinners and show a before and after photo.
back in ....shit! almost shot my mouth off too early.... ;D that paint did indeed take a bit of effort to remove even with the thinners....lol a hard wipe over with the wet thinner fill rag did nothing not even a paint lift. no wonder it has held onto the exhaust so well. I'd say if you applied several coats it would be there for quite a while. still find it hard to believe what I did was a rough unprepared hit with the can was so hard to rub off... ::)
chrome underneath is still perfect this black high temp paint I  gotta say.... I am really impressed. 8)
shot of the mazfa has nothing to do with the bike -just showing -I can spray a car...lol not perfect but pretty good for a back yard job!
hopefully some might find this helpful and seeing I don't care I am the perfect example to show you if its any good or not! so you have nothing to lose ;) of coarse I am not totally mad if I did bugger it up ...you know what would happen...bike 6...lol

2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 01:36:47 AM »
could be a good day or a bad day for a headache!

2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin'' the Ju-uice
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 02:01:15 AM »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks"
Middlebury, VT

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:29 AM »
ok here it goes. I have raised the shooting meg to a half a meg size picture and see how it looks. that way if any-one follows I hope to be able to supply good quality easy follow picture guide.
first take into a/c I wouldn't say I know what I am doing but if I stuff it up.....I pay the price...LOL hopefully that wont happen and it turns out ok
here's the trial half meg photo which I will check for detail as I plan only to do it once.
following completion of this install hopefully the bike starts and goes too ;)

2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
well that appears clear enough to me to look at so that's the format I plan to use
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »
Go for it!  ;D
Rather than have a homeless person for the holidays, I decided to stick with ham.