HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Angel Shot

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 04:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride  (Read 864 times)

idk

• Scooter
Re: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
I did the Baltimore ride. It was a small ride with only about 10 bikes, but it was all good. Pics can be found here.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
I did take the bike up to the meeting place after I scrounged around for something to wear. The jacket I was going to wear fit my like a giant trash bag, so I had to change my attire idea. I was going to do this earlier in the week, but I waited until Saturday night to drag the jacket out of mothballs. I found an old leather jacket that looked somewhat dressy and continued from there, but it was Sunday morning before I got the act all together and and headed off to what I knew was a going to be a zoo.
They had 288 riders signed up on Saturday and the final count was 318. They had us meeting up at Griffith Observatory...on a Sunday morning. This place doesn't really have a gigantic parking lot and the cages go up there. The road up to the Observatory is a little mostly twisty two lane road with the Greek theater and a Golf course about halfway up the route. The meetup time was supposed to be 9AM, but with the aforementioned delays I was running late.  I didn't see much motorcycle traffic going up the road, but cages were blocked up all over the place, particularly the last section to the observatory where they were parking at the side of the road and turning around to park on the other side. I made my way through there fairly easily and once in the parking lot, actual parking places were at a minimum. I headed for a corner where a few spots ad just opened up and, as I headed that way, a gang of Triumphs surrounded me headed the same way. I managed to outmaneuver a few of them and actually got a primo spot, but they ended up having me blocked in from every angle. That was OK because it ain't like I was planning on leading the pack out of the lot! The scheduled time for departure was 11:30. The first half of the ride was going to go down basically Sunset Blvd to the Beach then back up Venice Blvd to Deus Ex Machina, a Custom Cafe Shop down there. As the time went on, this packed parking lot got so full that they said about 100 bikes were waiting down below at the Greek parking lot! Then the cops announced that anyone not parked in a marked parking spot was going to get a ticket. More went down.
The driver's meeting was interesting as they tried to get everything into a picture or the or four and they had one of the little four rotor helicopters flying over with its GoPro taking pictures. 
The driver's meeting announcement was for everyone to stay together as we went down Sunset and PCH and take up all three lanes doing it! I never liked "Harley style" rides, so I decided not to take the ride. A thought crossed my mind to ride the Crest, but I wasn't really dressed for it so I headed home and watched MotoGp and Rossi and Marquez both crashed.
I did see three Enfields and about 1/2 dozen Guzzis up there. Nobody on the forum. Some English chaps
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cstorckiii

• Scooter
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
Actually, Bare, I was there but got stuck with the other hundred or so down by the tunnel when they blocked off the road up to the Observatory. No one from the organization team came down to give us any info, so none of us knew what was going on until the pack at the top started flying past us. After that, the ride went well. Plenty of spotters and traffic control.
By my count there were five RE's: my teal, a C5 military, a G5, and 2 pre-units. The stop at DEUS was... long lines for the bathroom and even longer lines for the mediocre hamburgers. I did the second leg downtown to the hotel for the after event, but because I never signed in to get a wristband, I headed home as well.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 05:58:58 AM »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
Good to hear I didn't miss much!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)