Menu

Members Rides

2006 Bullet Sixty-5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 04:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: setting up brake arm  (Read 370 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grease Monkey
setting up brake arm
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
Ive bent yet another brake pivot bolt and am awaiting another from hitchcocks.
This is getting frustrating. i have no idea why this is happened in the first place as i hadnt adjusted or changed anything - it just happened. id changed the pads months ago and the sprocket about 2 months before the brake lockup.
I now have to make sure that the swing arm plate is straight as im certain the 2nd lock up happened because the brake pivot pin isnt flush with the plate. May have to buy a whole new swing arm, but i should be able to bash it into place. Thing is, how do i know where to have the arm situated? the arm that goes down to the adjuster nut.?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Re: setting up brake arm
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Ive bent yet another brake pivot bolt and am awaiting another from hitchcocks.
This is getting frustrating. i have no idea why this is happened in the first place as i hadnt adjusted or changed anything - it just happened. id changed the pads months ago and the sprocket about 2 months before the brake lockup.
I now have to make sure that the swing arm plate is straight as im certain the 2nd lock up happened because the brake pivot pin isnt flush with the plate. May have to buy a whole new swing arm, but i should be able to bash it into place. Thing is, how do i know where to have the arm situated? the arm that goes down to the adjuster nut.?

Pix Steve.... so we know more clearly what you mean.  If the plate on your swing arm is bent, you should be able to see it.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
Ive bent yet another brake pivot bolt...........

Are you referring to the Cambolt that pushes the pads apart?
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250

Sectorsteve

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
The swing arm plate was def bent. i managed to get straight.
All seems well now...only thing is , is that in order for the brakes not to be dragging i have to depress pedal quite alot to activate brake.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
If it takes a lot of pedal then something isn't centered right. One shoe is touching the drum before the other one is causing a need to keep pressing brake pedal until the other shoe gets there. Try the centering exercise again.
As for the brake arm, it should just be about 10
o
or so behind vertical so the rod can pull it though vertical giving you the most leverage on the cam. You want to go through the 90
o
degree position of the arm and the rod for the best leverage.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sectorsteve

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »
thanks bare. the lock up happened yet again after straightening the plate on swing arm. i thought the the brakes were good. i think the pivot pins and cam are still bent. if these are bent would this cause the brakes catch and lock up?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
I guess it would depend on which direction they are bent. You probably ought to take the thing apart and check for any bent pieces. If they are cocking the shoes off to the side, that could cause them to hang up.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
There are a washer or two for spacers against the backing plate. Get a parts diagram and make sure you have all the bits in all the right spots.  If not, it could be what's causing your problems.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
 Lever and spring installed correctly ?  Spring is in good shape and none of the coils broken ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:32:37 AM »
The brake plate came with new spring. I replaced all brake parts excrpt the actual flat cam bolt that pushes pads out. I do have a new one but now I'm waiting on  pivot bolt again. This has now been going on for weeks. Frustrated

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the problem is that's allowing the backing plate to move and bolts to shear off.

The backing plate should be clamped with that big healthy nut on the short spindle that clamps against the snail plus the 12mm rear brake anchor pin nut that's torqued to 20 N/M (15 lb/ft?).
Hell, with that much torque the anchor pin nut will be applying over 2,500 pounds of clamping load all by itself.

It must be something else that's allowing things to move and to lock up the break?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 03:58:18 AM »
Reading similar topics of drum brakes locking up after a search on Google, these are a few more things that could've lead to the lock-up:

- Brake linings being worn out past the minimum limit. If the brake pads were worn past the limit, the cam would rotate almost 90 degrees to force the shoes against the drum

- Accumulation of rust/dust in the drum

- Brake rod adjuster nut being too tight (inwards) causing normal application of rear brake pedal to lock-up tyre. You should have 20-30mm of play in the rear brake pedal.

- Brake shoes/pads breaking/detaching inside the drum, again causing the cam to rotate 90 degrees or debris causing the lock-up..or because of the linings on the shoe(s) not being bonded together properly, leading to the linings coming off within the drum..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:03:10 AM by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Steve, have you found an exploded parts diagram and checked your assembly against it?  I can't help but think that either a piece is misplaced or missing and that's chaging the spacing of things and causing your problem. 

http://www.royalmotorcycles.com/media/service/Bullet%20Classic%20EFI%20C5%20Parts%20Catalogue%20Oct%202008.pdf

Also, have you checked the rear wheel bearings?  There are three: two in the wheel and one in the brake/sprocket.  If any are worn they could cause misalignment of the brakes.

Scott