HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

'79 Enfield Bullet 350 (2007)

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 02:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tail light fitting problem - no power  (Read 301 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Re: tail light fitting problem - no power
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:24:03 AM »
well the bike mechanic had dramas of his own so i took the bike to my local auto electrician and he told me straight - "I don't touch motorcycles!" so off then to my car mechanic. better results there.
anyway to cut it short and i mean short....lol  where i had cut and twisted the wires  together to fit the hitchcocks small bullet style indicator they had drifted apart and touched each other. so up front of the bike that was one of the main problems. apart from that i had replaced the blown fuse with a blown fuse....shit my eyes are crook!
so after all that i had the front and rear indicators soldered and heat shrink applied. plus my tail light mounted and set in properly plus soldered and heat shrinked too all for $100.50 which i thought was pretty good.
$100 bucks sound fine but how did he come up with the fifty cents...lol  anyway i'm pretty happy all is well and its a good job and most importantly it now works fine. so once again thanks to all who chipped in. in the end it was a short alright either on the bike plus my short sightedness.
there was also another incident today i could have done without. when i picked up the bike  it was on its centrestand so i pushed it off got on an tried to start it. after 8 or 10 attempts the bloody thing would not start. thought to myself - stuff it got one thing fixed and now another. a couple of minutes later i decided to get of the bike to take a better look and almost kicked the protruding side stand. shit i thought thats the bloody problem.
so with side stand up i hit the starter button and it was firing.  as a rule i very rarely use the side stand so in the future i might be more aware of the situation and the no start head down issues.

couple of photos to back up the claim

number plate on

brake light

indicator. took 3 shots to time this one right on the blink

2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt
2014 C5 tan/cheery - upgrades and work in progress

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
Blown fuse with a blown fuse ;D

I'm glad the issue is sorted out! ( Not shorted  ;) ) Crap happens sometimes, especially with connections.

The light surely looks nice, good job.

Lets hope for an awesome summer riding season.

Enjoy  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »
  Glad it's straightened out wildbill and it looks good. Now on to the Digital Speedo. D'oh !  ;D ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »
ghg
don't put pressure on me so early....i am in recovery mode!...lol
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
 HAHAHAHA !!  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
The $.50 was for the fuse.
Do you have a multimeter? You need one. They help a lot of help chasing these problems,and they aren't that expensive. You can get a serviceable one for around $20.00 or so. You can get cheap ones around here for $5.00 at Harbor Freight, but having owned one, they are a bit iffy. They can definitely save you on those $100 bills, You may need to still spend the $.50.
You can check continuity in bulbs and fuses to see if there any good. You can check voltage at the end of a wire, if it's there or not, etc.etc...one more time...etc.
They are pretty easy to use, not a great learning curve involved. And you know where to find help! Just don't forget to turn them off when your not using them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
Wildbill
You obviously live in a place where folks can be trusted and you never venture into areas where they can't.

Living in a large city as I do, there is no way in hell I would tie on my license plate with a few nylon twisty ties!   Those can be cut with a dull pocket knife and, "POOF", the  plate is gone, to be used on the thief's motorcycle.

Not only do I use a pair of good screws and nuts to secure my plate but I also use the "red" locktite on the threads to make them virtually impossible for a thief to remove.

As you know, the red locktite is for permanent assemblies but if I ever want to remove the license plate, heating the screws threads and the nut with a propane torch flame for a few seconds will allow it to release its grip.  (Thieves with a propane torch in their pocket are few and far between here.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
bare
i did buy the multi meter so next time that might be my answer to a problem...or better still stop touching the bike!...lol

jim
those tie clip holding the plates on the bike was just the easy/lazy way of getting them on the bike. over the years i have never had anyone try and knock off any of my number plates so i don't think much about it.
i live in the country say with a population 35,000 but jvs and sectorsteve who resides in Sydney MSW I'd say they would for sure.
the tie downs clips do looks a bit on the cheap side so i might get a couple of screws and secure it
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »
I don't know what they were doing "down under" in 1955-1960 but if you really want to warp back to those days in the US, use a couple of these "reflector bolts" to secure your license plate.  :)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/License%20Plate%20Reflector%20Bolts

With a pair of these and something playing Bill Hailey's "Rock Around The Clock" you'll be really 'cool'.   ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:17:57 PM by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary