HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Road Ready

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wiring loom connectors  (Read 232 times)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Wiring loom connectors
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »
Colleagues, do any of you know where I can source the individual wiring loom connectors that are used on our UCE Bullets? 

In particular I want male and female versions of the connector used on the ECU, so I can make a "break-out" cable without messing about with shoving pins up where the wires go.  But also the connectors used on the other sensors (like the 4-way under the tank for the O2 sensor) would be very handy.

Neither our host, nor Hitchcock's, seem to sell them.  I suppose they are probably some kind of standard, but you'd need to be an auto electrician to recognise them.

Can anyone advise?
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

WillW

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Re: Wiring loom connectors
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »
These Wago connectors are brilliant. I've used them for connecting Stebel horns, tacho & clock to my Enfield. Really simple and secure, and cheap.
They come in several sizes for connecting 2,3,4,5 wires.
Shop around for prices, which vary considerably..
http://www.wago.ltd.uk/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wago-connectors
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:05:52 PM by WillW »
2010 Royal Enfield Electra (G5) DL

2004 Kawasaki W650
~ the best british bike they never made ~

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
This is strictly a guess on my part,  but if they are anything like automotive connectors, a lot of the plugs will be proprietary to the maker on non-universal parts.  ( I.E....a fuel pump for a Honda will probably have a different plug than an RE pump,  but plugs for bulbs will be the same)....
It *might* be easier to splice in using universal Molex connectors or the ones mentioned by Will.

Just my .02 worth
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »
Thank you, guys.

I don't really want to splice in any different connectors while the bike is under warranty.  I want the option to remove my own wiring and restore the wiring to "as delivered".  Hence asking about the connectors that are actually fitted.

For example, if I could get a male and female connector that fits the ECU and its connector, I could then make a short breakout cable that just plugs between the ECU and its "proper" plug on the wiring loom.  Ditto with the O2 sensor connector under the tank - I could make a short intercept cable that I could remove at any time.

Once the warranty is finished I won't care; as you say, I'll intercept the wiring loom with a pair of cutters and fit whatever connectors suit me.   :D

I've attached a picture in case I haven't explained it very well.
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
<deleted>
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:23:28 PM by SteveThackery »

Previous:

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Electronics stores around here, SoCal, sell all kinds of connectors. I have replaced several connectors on Enfield with their products, pretty much identical stuff, and a bunch of others.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:14:41 AM »
Oh I know what you mean, they make them for car ECU's, and I've used them for automotive ignition harnesses, too.  But unless the RE's ECU plugs are universal, they may not even exist.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Oh I know what you mean, they make them for car ECU's, and I've used them for automotive ignition harnesses, too.  But unless the RE's ECU plugs are universal, they may not even exist.

Yeah, that's it!  Either a ready-made one, or just the two connectors, would be fine for me.

Previous:

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I suspect that most of them are generic in terms of design. If you search the net you will find vendors that sell most any kind of connector. The ECU connector may be impossible to find. It is proprietary to Keihin.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
Thanks, GHG and Kevin.  That looks encouraging - I'll do some serious searching and will report my findings.

I rang Hitchcock's here in the UK, but they don't have any of the connectors.  Nor do they have a scrap wiring loom or scrap ECU from which I could extract the parts.

Previous:

crock

• Neophyte
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:26 AM »
Try this guy, he specializes in motorcycle connectors:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

no, it is not a po** site

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
Hey, thanks, Crock - that looks like just the place.  I'm going to take some photos and measurements of the connectors I'm interested in and see if he can help.  I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks again.

Previous: