HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Royal Enfield in India

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2015, 04:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: battery discharging.  (Read 83 times)

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
battery discharging.
« on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:05 AM »
Have last year swapped out the engine in my 2011 G5 after a huge increase in vibration. Picked up a unit from a crashed 2011 military. Whilst driving it solo I had no real problem with battery discharge. Now that I have fitted an Inder sidecar and am running at generally lower engine speeds I find the battery discharges . I have swapped the alternator stator from the old engine to the replacement with a slight improvement. But checking output shows erratic charging over fast idle. I suspect it may be the voltage regulator (RR unit in Enfield speak) that is the actual problem. The unit shows a part number 140211 . Does anyone know if this the Enfield part number or just the manufactures? I have looked on line and only find units with very different part numbers listed for sale. Anyone any ideas. 
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Re: battery discharging.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
Not sure ... I just replaced mine but I got it from a dealer .. He said they were used on a few bikes not just enfields
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

johno

• Bulleteer
Re: battery discharging.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:02:28 PM »
I run a 1984 GL1200 with a sidecar attached. This year of Goldwing are renown for poor/ low power alternators.
I found with the sidecar, just the extra lights (position light, rear light front and rear indicators and brake light) which are legal requirements in the UK, are enough to work the alternator to it's output limits.
As well as getting your charging system checked, it might be worth measuring your bikes electrical draw just to be certain, you can always fit an auxillary battery in the sidecar to help out the electrical system.
No distance is to far, No Speed is to slow 2012  EFI Bullet.
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, Givi panniers (or 1958 pattern British army haversacks)