HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Latest Version

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 05:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VIN and Serial Number Information  (Read 5877 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
VIN and Serial Number Information
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:06 PM »
From the Electra X Owner's Manual:

1-3 chars - Mfr make and class
4-6 chars - "Decipherable information"
7-8 chars - Capacity/horsepower
9 - Checkdigit number
10 - year of mfr
11 - place of mfr
12-17  - engine number

-  It should be located on the neck of the frame (in front of the gas tank); part of it is stamped into the engine case on the right hand side just below the cylinder (and should be the same as the last 6 digits found on the frame); a stamped plate on one of the down tubes; and inside a side cover.

- For US models, the first 6 characters are assigned by the US Gov't and always the same. These  ID Royal Enfield as the mfr. The next 2 are HP. The next is a check digit ("part of a mathematical formula used to validate the VIN"), followed by the model year, and finally the serial number specific to your machine (and the same as your engine number).

Using a  2006 US market Electra X as an example: The first 6 characters are the mfr info: MBFFSV . The next two are the HP: 23. next is the check digit: 1, next the model year: 6; and finally a 6 character engine number.

Year designation codes:
2=2002
1=2001
Y=2000
X=1999
W=1998
V=1997
U=1996
T=1995

deejay

Re: VIN and Serial Number Information
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »
Just an FYI, this information seems to be consistent with the Classic VIN as well.

linden

• Linden
  • Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:58:35 AM »
I have just imported a 1964 Royal Enfield in a Cafe Racer style ( lots of polishing ) from India, It is in the form of a 500cc , I opted for the 5 spd and the electronic ignition however it is still a Kickstart.

The bike is original frame and block with matching numbers   G278377 however lots of retro replacements to bring it up to scratch. I am open for any comments on this bike , I have started and riden the bike over short distances and so far it is great with no probs , only a slipping clutch making it hard to kickstart.

any advice, comments welcome.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »
Welcome Linden, and congratulations on the new (old) ride!

It sounds interesting, do you have pictures you can post?
Is it the one in your avatar?

As far as the clutch, I guess you'll be considering new springs and plates since it slipping?

Keep us posted on your progress...

Matt

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »
When you look for parts, please reconize that what you have is most likely a 350 which has have been re-machined to a 500. This is a common modification done in India. The 500 wasn't manufactured in India until over 20 years later and genuine 500's are rare as hens teeth. Depending upon how it was done it is basically a 350 bottom end and 500cc top end. If it is a left hand shift 5-speed I am not sure how they would work out how to drill the shift shaft through the block. A right hand shift 5 speed would be no problem at all.

linden

• Linden
  • Neophyte
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 05:02:21 AM »
I just registerd the bike the other day ( picture in avatar ), as a G model. Parts will be the trickiest bit of all, not that they are hard to come by just knowing which bit to get. The shift shaft is quite neat straight through the block however the clutch has only the 4 friction plates and not 5 specified for 5 speeds. I am unsure if the clutch basket is the same for the 4 plate and 5 plate clutches.I will be ordering some new friction plates however I am not sure if I should or could order 5 or only 4.
I have tried HD springs and they made no difference.
It has electronic ignition to ensure there is a nice strong spark however with the compression and a slippery clutch kickstarting is frustrating.
The photo was taken prior to jamming in an old fruit create and shipping to Australia.
It suffered a smashed indicator and minor scuffs in transit.

Linden

[old attachment deleted by admin]

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
Your best bet is to replace all of the clutch plates with the 5 speed or 5 plate clutch pack. They are interchangable as far as clutch baskets go and the 5 plate clutch is much better