HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

On the trail again, just like back in the day

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leaky petrol cap  (Read 1104 times)

michigandon

• Scooter
Leaky petrol cap
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
Anyone else have problems with the gas cap leaking on their Electra? The Mrs' newly-aquired '06 leaks like a sieve around the cap. My  >:( '07 Classic has a flip-style cap that seals up tight and appears to be  better made. Is it possible to retrofit the Classic cap onto the Electra tank? Should I try cutting out a different gasket first (have access to some heavy sheets of rubber here at work).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Leaky petrol cap
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Mine leaks too.Drives me crazy. Someone a while back suggested that you make a rubber washer out of inner tobe or something, and put it behind the rubber disc already on it. I don't know if it would work but sounds good.

What I do is: don't fill it all the way to the top, and when closing it, be sure to give it a little extra push. It should click more than once to be fully closed. Even then, I get a little leakage around the cap sometimes.

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
An extra bit of rubber will do it, or... if it is under warranty take it to your dealer

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice Kevin. My warranty just ran out, but I'll use a piece if innertube and make a rubber washer thingy for it.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »
yea.. that's a constant.. my wife has an 883 she changed the tank and her extra gas cap had a rubber washer that was , guess what?,, the same size.. no more drooling