HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Big Horns

in
Members Rides

34 Guests, 2 Users
crock, The Old Coot
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 06:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sparx voltage regulator with capacitor  (Read 1346 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Sparx voltage regulator with capacitor
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Doing my brake in rides on the 95 I started having a cough this morning.  Turned off the headlamp and it went away.   So apparently my short rides at low RPM are draining the small battery.  I decided to try out a regulator I bought for the 57' and see how it does.

Got out the meter once I returned home from work and did some checking.  Battery is sitting at 9vdc.   The best I can get out of the voltage regulator is 13vdc with the battery hooked up.     

Bike has always run with no battery and here is a crappy video of its behavior without the battery installed.  Spits a bit.

Put the battery in and it idles and revs fine until you turn on the headlamp.  Then its back to spitting until I get the battery on a charger.

Here is a video of the Sparx unit in  action.  Works just as well with the lamp on low, not so much on high without the revs up.  It puts out a steady 14 volts without the headlamp and  9V with the lamp on low at idle.

I would say its a pretty good replacement for the stock regulator.  I will leave the old battery in place just because.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-123-TRIUMPH-SPARX-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-CAPACITOR-/110728808567

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Sparx voltage regulator with capacitor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
Went ahead and hooked this up without a battery,  mounted in my lh toolbox,  bike idles fine in high and low beam setting.  All my indicators and lamps are LED but for the headlamp.  Also of note is the bike will run just fine if you hook up the positive and negative leads on the sparxs unit reversed.     ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:44:24 PM by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
But, how is starting? That should be the bigger obstacle. You might need that little bit of battery to get it started easily.
The 9vdc reading off the battery would indicate your battery is shot.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:43:16 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
Still running without a battery.   This morning the bike started first kick with no priming to charge the capacitor of any kind.  Bike had been sitting since last Wednesday due to rain.  Turned on the petcock, rolled the bike out, turned off the headlamp switch, throw the ignition to on,pulled up the choke, kick and she started. 

I turn the motor off with the with the ignition and usually 9 hours later when I flip it back on my diodes in the instrument cluster will flash as the box holds a charge all day and I guess my wiring is not that leaky.   The thing works great. 

Hmm, now that I think about it I did move the piston to TDC like always so that might charge it enough.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:02:24 PM by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK