Menu

Members Rides

2005 RE

in
Members Rides

44 Guests, 2 Users
REpozer, AgentX
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 01:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windshield buffeting  (Read 817 times)

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Windshield buffeting
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
Hi Folks,

Bought a Slipstreamer HD-3 Tombstone Windshield for a C5; http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SLPS-HD3-CLEAR
installed the same yesterday and did some test runs; at around 45 mph I start getting buffeting around the helmet and just shakes my head at which point it becomes quite uncomfortable.

I adjusted the screen to smaller height and different rake angle and the same issue; is there any advice as to how the windshield should be properly mounted on REs? or maybe another windshield itself?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:24:18 PM by eda1bulletc5 »
2011 RE C5
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Re: Windshield buffeting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
    I attached a National Cycle Deflector Screen on my G5 and am quite happy with it. I noticed right away the blast of air in the face but that's the nature of the beast. The deflected air when your scooting along has nowhere to go but around the sides and up. I was never a fan of windshields but with all the miles I'm riding there was definitely a need for one. I am very pleased with the results but not the appearance. Oh well, it's all about the function. I cut a 3/8 " piece of black rubber hose about 1-1/2 ' long and sliced one side of it lengthwise and attached it to the bottom of the screen where it touches the nacelle. A couple pushes by hand preloads the rubber to the headlite nacelle and it doesn't vibrate at all even at 70mph. I'm attaching a photo so you can see the installation. I hope this helps.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the picture. I see from your picture that I needed to reduce my angle a little bit more because I was trying to get it as straight as possible to the headlight.

I tried this out and it did make some difference, atleast it doesn't hammer my helmet as much. I need to reduce it a bit more and find out how it feels.

Again thanks for the input.

Regards,
Sajiv
2011 RE C5
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
    You betcha Sajiv, glad to be of service !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack