HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My Bullet Finished At Last

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMAL Carbs vs Mikuni Carbs  (Read 3224 times)

dampking

• Grease Monkey
AMAL Carbs vs Mikuni Carbs
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
Hi all..

From past few months I have had a very hard time selecting a carb for my Machismo 500 aka Electra X. Finally got myself a VM34 Mikuni and at moment I am gathering the supporting jets for that carb to work.

The thing is that.. I always wanted to have an Amal carb because I have heard a lot about them. Even my dad used Amals back in those days... Recently I have asked a lot of friends about these carbs and many said that the build quality is not good. I have never used these carbs and have no clue about these. So is it true that Mikuni has better build quality than Amal carbs? Also what about the different versions of Amal carbs? what do they stand for? I mean they got different versions like MK1,MK2,Monobloc,Pre-monobloc and Racing GP2. The Racing GP2 one sounds really yummy tho :D

By the way can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of these different types of Amal Carbs? also how good they are when we compare them with Mikunis.

-Sanket

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Re: AMAL Carbs vs Mikuni Carbs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
You got a much better responce on the Hitchcocks forum.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
Frankly speaking I don't understand much about these. Yes I understand the basics but the main difference between Amal and Mikuni... I have no clue so I was checking in several places. But it seems Mikuni's build quality is pretty impressive, so I decided to get one. But yes! The GP carbs are so yummy! must be a real killer on track :D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
The GP carbs are so yummy! must be a real killer on track :D

They are real killers all right. They are really crappy street carbs. Some versions don't even have an idle circuit. Back in the day, road racers were started by the rider pushing them and jumping on to go. The carbs didn't have any reason to idle. They were pretty made to run wide open.
It had a lot do with my decision not to get into road racing at an earlier age!
If you want to use an Amal, just stick with the concentrics. They are the most consistent running and easiest to tune. There are some Amal repros available out there now, but I've forgotten what they are called. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with with a little search on the internet.
As far as quality goes, I'm sure the Mikunis still win.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Hi all..

From past few months I have had a very hard time selecting a carb for my Machismo 500 aka Electra X. Finally got myself a VM34 Mikuni and at moment I am gathering the supporting jets for that carb to work.

The thing is that.. I always wanted to have an Amal carb because I have heard a lot about them. Even my dad used Amals back in those days... Recently I have asked a lot of friends about these carbs and many said that the build quality is not good. I have never used these carbs and have no clue about these. So is it true that Mikuni has better build quality than Amal carbs? Also what about the different versions of Amal carbs? what do they stand for? I mean they got different versions like MK1,MK2,Monobloc,Pre-monobloc and Racing GP2. The Racing GP2 one sounds really yummy tho :D

By the way can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of these different types of Amal Carbs? also how good they are when we compare them with Mikunis.

-Sanket

Can tell you this:
Amals ain't no Lucas Electrics!
They've done diligence for marques like RE, Norton, Ducati and etc. - because they work.
The quality of the metal going into the mixture is *old* and *was* true,
But not now so.

I've incorporated many of Amal's carb tuning guidelines into my own - because they are so fundamentally correct (see http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/id8.html).

My Amal works great on my RE (yes...I had to put a new one on. But because *I* probably messed it up!)
My Mikuni - on my own home-grown ground-up rebuild ('71/'72 XS1/XS2 Yamaha)  was the ***ONLY*** time I've ***EVER*** had to mess with a carb's needle taper! What a royal pain! No pun intended (OK, maybe just a little bit....)

Matt

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Just read this article in the Triumph Owner's mag.  If you want to use an Amal this is probably the way to go.

http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/News.aspx?id=56

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »
A lot of Valuable info here! Thanks a ton EVERYONE!

By the way... are these amal carbs round slide or flat slide?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »
Mine's a round slide - AM/R932/300

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
I heard that Flat Slides are good because they offer better Throttle Response? I got a VM34(Round Slide) made by the Mikunis. Still not tuned properly... but I love the britt bikes and britt products. Might try out Amal in the near future.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
I use a Mikuni 34mm flat slide, and love it! It is very east to tune.  One note-if you not going to modify your engine a bunch, you will be happier with a smaller size 30-32 mm.
Geichal

dampking

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
Good to hear that! At moment I am using VM34- Round slide on and I think in some more time..I will dump that and get a Flat Slide. Maybe a 34 or 36..

Can you tell me jetting specification for TM34 for AVL500? I think the main jet will be 220, pilot 27.5, don't know which needles to use tho.