HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Henrietta

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 12:47:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spark plugs with a vintage look.  (Read 731 times)

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Spark plugs with a vintage look.
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
I have an old Bosch 465 that is the equivalent of the NGK B8ES. It's an older style plug with the green lettering that looks good with a brass knurled nut on it.
For replacements, I found an A/C Delco 42XL that has green lettering, and Autolite 4063 with black lettering. These both look better than the NGKs with the blue lettering. Nothing against NGK, they just look too modern.
Anybody know of any vintage plugs with the same heat range and reach as B8ES. Crossover charts just seem to show current or recent production.
Better yet, anybody know what was in a Bullet 500 when it left the factory in 1955?
My 2 YMMV

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Spark plugs with a vintage look.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »
I have no idea about a 1955 Bullet spark plug.

Could it have been a Lodge?  They were popular back in those days.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
Champions or Autolites are what I remember from those days. I didn't know they looked any different! Somewhat earlier, they had bigger hexes and stuff, but those were pretty much gone in the 50s
Bare
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:52:32 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »
Living in the US, my only experience with Lodge spark plugs back in the 1950's was because of my friends.

The Lodge plugs they bought at the time had a pink ceramic insulator and platinum electrodes.  As I recall, they were the only spark plug company that made a platinum plug in those days.

The platinum spark plugs were needed because they were being used in a fuel dragster that was running on alcohol and Nitro-methane.  That fuel tended to melt regular spark plugs.

Yup.  That was a Supercharged Oldsmobile powered slingshot dragster** back in the days before we understood about the fancy clutches they have now.
When leaving the line a well set up dragster would lift the front tires about 3-6 inches off the surface while the rear wheels lit up in billowing clouds of smoke.
The rear tires wouldn't "hook up" with the road and stop smoking until about 1/8 of a mile and the speeds reached at the 1/4 mile finish line were around 190 mph.
We thought we were really going fast!  ;D
 My, how times have changed.

**Slingshot dragsters had the engine out in front of the driver who sit at the rear between the two large slick tires.
The modern dragsters  with the engine at the rear and the driver sitting out in front of it weren't dreamed of in those days.
More than one driver in those old slingshots lost a leg (or worse) if the clutch or rear axles gears blew up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:36:04 AM by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary