HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Bullet 500es

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clubman bars....ouch !  (Read 4986 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Clubman bars....ouch !
« on: July 06, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
I just installed the clubman bars on the bike......and ouch! my wrists hurt. I tried several combinations but in stop and go traffic there is just too much stress on the thumb side of the wrist, especially when using the clutch or front brake levers.

Lowering the bars to ensure a more square weight on the wrists results in another issue.... the instrument control clusters on both sides hit the tank which has increased the turning radius quiet a lot.

I put them on to reduce the wind drag but this is just too uncomfortable.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Clubman bars....ouch !
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Maybe one advantage of clip-ons over Ace bars...adjustability.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Absolutely. Clip ons would need casquette removal though. I am going to try drag bars next.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
Yeah...I like the sans casquette look myself. 

The Thunderbird triple clamps available direct from India (and/or maybe through a dealer?) are a direct re-fit on the Bullet fork...perfect for clip ons.  They might also be useful for drag bars, since they put the bar clamp in the more modern-conventional position atop the triple tree instead of behind it.  Might help your reach if you were using drags.  You'd need to fabricate gauge cups or some other sort of mount for speedo etc. with these.  That's what I have done myself.  There's also a top crown with a speedo mount built in which is also cheap direct from India.

Both, I think, are available from Hitchcock's at much greater expense.  But what might also interest you most is the clubman bars someone here had which were higher and flatter than most.  I think it was barenekd but can't swear to it.

Or adjustable clubmans?? 

http://www.rearsets.info/handlebars.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:39:03 PM by AgentX »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
If you try drag bars or clip ons with the seat in a stock position, you will be very cramped up. The distance between the bars and seat is just too close. You need an estended tank and more rear set seat to make tose bars work. The clubman bars are the only way to get the reach out where you need it without the tank and seat expense.
You will need the fork stops to be shimmed to keep the bars out of the tank with any of those bar options.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
More than just the seat position is the leg position.  I just don't get how people ride low front bars with the stock, chair-like seating position.  Obviously it's working for some, but IMHO, rear-sets are a necessity.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
As you say, rear sets are rather handy when you want to get lower on the bike. I did ride  mine for awhile with the clubman bars and stock footpegs until I found a set of rearsets. It wasn't the greatest, but my legs are short, so I wasn't too cramped up.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Thump, I bought a pair of clubmans from Dime City.  They are flatter, with less pull back than the ace bars from Enfield (or the EMGO ace bars).  They positively killed my wrists the first hour of riding.  Pulling the clutch was torture.  Thought it was a deal-breaker.  I was really pissed after doing the work and because the look was exactly what I was after so I figured I'd give it a week.  Took about 3 or 4 rides on the bike for my wrists to adjust.  After that, no problem and I love the feel and position.  I know that sounds insane, but that's just how it worked out for me.  I've heard the more swept back ace bars are more comfortable than the clubman bars.

I don't have rear-sets but I'm not too large at 5'8"/165 pounds.  I'm pretty comfortable... I don't feel to squashed or anything.  An inch taller, or a slightly larger mid-section and I might.  If I ate too much for lunch that day, sometimes I'll get cramped up - It's not a natural gas-passing posture  ;D  But I do enjoy the posture quite a bit.

On this topic, I wanted to try some low superbars or really low moto bars but they mount so far back from the forks.  What I like about the ace/clubmans is that it puts the handles directly out from the fork.  That's one huge reason I'd love to ditch the casquette and go with some moto-bars.  Seeing them on folks RE's with the casquette on, they just look so far back.  I want those bars right above the forks.  I prefer a forward lean to an arm-chair position.  I just don't know what the hell I'd do about that rats nest in the light.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
Their website is a breeding ground for ideas. They got a ton of stuff.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
Seeing them on folks RE's with the casquette on, they just look so far back.  I want those bars right above the forks.  I prefer a forward lean to an arm-chair position.  I just don't know what the hell I'd do about that rats nest in the light.

Order the "thunderbird" model front end yokes from India...that's reason #1 I ditched the casquette.  Bar position.  #2 was the thought of swapping my street-tracker stance for racier clip-ons once I'm back Stateside someday.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
If you try drag bars or clip ons with the seat in a stock position, you will be very cramped up.

You can get forward offset clip-ons, though...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
Put on the drag bars yesterday. Without any instrument controls (switches) mounted the bars just kiss the tank on a full turn. Once the switches are mounted they will definitely reduce turning radius but not as much as the ace bars did. So these are going to stay. I will try to get the vintage controls/switches. They look less bulky.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
I drilled and tapped holes in my fork stops and put bolts in to make adjustable fork stops. Works well. Didn't have to cut the fork angle much to clear the tank. Still plenty of steering lock for u-turns.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
Yep that is the next step.

My wrists gave up very quickly at the angle you have setup your clubman bars. I have also ordered 3" seat springs to lower the seat height and a small fly screen that will need some work to get it on the bike.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
Post up a pic when all is assembled. I'd like to see how the drag bars look. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM