HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Riding in Kerala

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 23, 2014, 02:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cost of 5spd?  (Read 1016 times)

teckhardt

• Neophyte
Cost of 5spd?
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
I know the 5 spd is a better gearbox than the 4 spd but how much better? 

There are two 4spds for sale locally for a good price.  They are KS only too, which I like.  Is it worth waiting for a 5 spd?  Can you put a 5spd box in or is it just too cost prohibitive?

TIA

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Cost of 5spd?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »
As a 4-speed owner I would tell you to get the 5-speed.

First it was designed to be left shift, so the linkage is better. Second, the big gap between 3rd and 4th drives me nuts. If you do a lot of riding around town you will appreciate the extra gear.

I have also looked into a conversion (I even bought a 5 speed to use). What I discovered is that it is not a bolt on coversion. To fit the 5-speed you have to change it to right foot shift.

CMW sells the kit, but it will add a couple hundred dollars and several hours work to the conversion.

I bought my bike from my dad as a favor to him. I really didn't know anything about Enfields. My current thoughts are based on about 2 years of ownership.

I would recommend a Bullet 65. You can always ignore the electric starter.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:39:29 PM by bankerdanny »
Endeavor To Persevere

teckhardt

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
I have also looked into a conversion (I even bought a 5 speed to use). What I discovered is that it is not a bolt on coversion. To fit the 5-speed you have to change it to right foot shift.

CMW sells the kit, but it will add a couple hundred dollars and several hours work to the conversion.

RH shift does not really bother me.  Where did you get a 5 spd?  What was the cost?

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
I picked it up off Ebay. I think I paid $500 for it.
Endeavor To Persevere