HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

At Marina Beach Chennai

in
Members Rides

50 Guests, 5 Users
TejK, gizzo, greenie, kodai, dampking
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 06:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improved oil system for UCE.  (Read 1536 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Improved oil system for UCE.
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
I think there is a fault in the UCE design that could be easily corrected.  When changing oil, the old oil cannot be drained completely.  If the bike is leaned over to each side, much more oil can be drained, but it is still far from complet3e draining.  As I understand, this is due to retention of oil in one or more areas in order to have standing pools of oil for some parts of the engine, such as the primary drive chain.  If a few small drain holes were made, 1/16-inch for example, this oil would drain back into the crankcase on standing so that it could be drained.  With the high output of the oil pump, these areas would still be filled to overflowing when the engine is running, but when shutdown for servicing, this oil could be drained off.  The current draining procedure is a problem with a solo bike, but with a sidecar, it requires removal of the sidecar and a re-installation and readjustment after an oil change.  GA-DK

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Improved oil system for UCE.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »
Or you could just tap a couple of drain holes in the area where the oil pools and screw in plugs.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
Or, the little bit, I know it seems like a lot, of oil left in the engine will be outweighed by the new oil.  I would not worry too much about it.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:34 AM »
While I know it offends our sense of perfection, any oil left is not material

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
I would also like to see more thought go into oil sytem improvements. Some of you may have read my remarks under the "DIPSTICK ENVY" heading. As a long time rider, having had many singles & other exotic motorcycles, I too have found the oil system to be annoying, getting the level right isn't easy or enjoyable. I would prefer to have a dipstick that would read the correct level that has come to rest in the sump,before starting the engine. Unless the bike dripped alot or smoked you would only have to check it periodically. The sight glass excells only in BOGUS READINGS!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:17:07 AM »
I'm with you, Craig.  I've always hated sight glass on motorcycles.  Glad my RE has a dipstick.

jkrobin

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
I too have found the oil system to be annoying, getting the level right isn't easy or enjoyable. I would prefer to have a dipstick that would read the correct level that has come to rest in the sump,before starting the engine. .... The sight glass excells only in BOGUS READINGS!

+1
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
The sight glass on an Enfield is only supposed to be read at a particular time, on the center stand 3-4 minutes after shutdown. Any other reading can be false. You can however read it at other times if you know where it was 4 minutes after shutdown and it's still in the same place, then compare it to the last accurate reading. There is nothing wrong with the sight glass, it just needs to be used properly.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
+1

The only good thing about a dip stick is it can be located closer to the center of the engine.

The bad thing about a dip stick is it usually gives a hard to read approximation of how much oil is in the engine.  It's also out of the way so it's easy to ignore.

Has anyone bothered to read the posts in the Iron Barrel and AVL sections?
The, "I filled it to the upper line and it's pumping oil all over my engine", or the "I've ridden 700 miles sense I last checked my dip-stick and now it is bone dry.  Do I have a problem?"  type of posts?

Perhaps the one failing grace of the sight window is it allows the rider to easily check the oil level.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
Well said Arizoni!

Tigujan

• Neophyte
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
What is the difference? Two lines on a stick or two lines on a glass?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
With a Dipstick You can check your oil BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE - Doesn't that make sense?. I think its DUMB to have to diddle around waiting for just the right moment to check your oil. It is also Unnecessarily Difficult to judge the correct Oil Level after an Oil Change. Most other Makers who have a wet sump also use a Dip Stick. Guess if they wanted to please everybody they could provide both features, But I would only use the Dip Stick.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure