HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Perla gets 1st place in Demorest 4th of July show!

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2015, 09:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speakers in helmet  (Read 1079 times)

lwatts

• Neophyte
Speakers in helmet
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
Hey everyone I have to share this. I love listening to music all the time and I don't have a radio on my bike so I was always having to use head-phones on under my helmet. Now anyone that does this knows already that it's very uncomfortable and you can't really hear anything around you. So I came across this website that shows you how to install small head-phone speakers in the pads of your helmet. www.powersportsdirectorymusic.com They have a link on there that takes you to a video so you can watch it and then install the speakers. It was fairly easy to do and I freaking love it. I get to ride around for as long as I want now and it doesn't hurt anymore. Not to mention it's safer this way cause I can still hear all of my surroundings. If you have the same problem I did then you definitely want to check that website out so you can install your own speakers. Trust me you'll like it so much better.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Re: Speakers in helmet
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
please reconsider your safety, and the effect on others who are unfortunate enough to be near when you die a violent death in traffic.  :'(

( too harsh ? )    :o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:56:06 AM by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250

rural earl

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:56:14 AM »
Helmet speakers can give you good sound if you have a quiet helmet and don't ride too fast.  They never worked for me, since I had to overdrive them with a portable radio that couldn't deliver enough power.  In-ear monitors (earplugs, not earbuds) worked best for me, but I felt a little cut-off from the sounds of the bike with them, so I don't use them anymore.  YMMV.  And, earphones are illegal here in California anyway.  So now I just listen to the voices in my head.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
I'm not going to argue about the morality/legality of headphones in helmets, and how that compares to earplugs (which are legal in CA, yet 2 headphones are not -- one earpiece is legal in CA), nor the fact that even with headphones cranked in a helmet you can still hear better than in a well insulated car...

Just a word of warning:  I installed a set of speakers in my helmet a few years ago.  They sounded good if pressed right against your ear, but in the helmet they tend to be 1/4-1/2 an inch away which kills the bass and midrange.  And the wind noise + engine noise tended to drown out my quieter tunes.  So I got a little headphone amp and ran that.  Then I could hear it fine, but the highs were a bit too high.  It was fine around town, but I found after prolonged listening (hours), I felt like I had been at a concert.  My ears were ringing and I had trouble hearing for a while.  I stopped using them after that.

Now I have a Scala Rider G4, which has 2-way radio, AM/FM, and bluetooth.  I use both speakers, because GPS and 2-way chatter is just so much easier to hear with both ears in.  No more tunes though.  I would occasionally listen to talk radio during my morning commute, and I'm not concerned with the volume there.  Don't need it as loud to hear speech.