HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Latest Configuration @ 14,000 miles

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 06:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Triumph seat on C5  (Read 1092 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Triumph seat on C5
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »
I picked up a Triumph Bonneville seat a few months ago and finally got around to installing it on my 2010 C5 this weekend.  So far I like the way it looks and it seemed fairly comfortable on a short road test.

It is a few inches longer and a couple of inches wider than the stock RE seating, but fits really nicely.  I used the rear seat frame for 4 mounting points and the front frame mount where the OEM was bolted on.  It needed 4-5 brackets to make it fit without having to modify any of the RE frame.  I will be happy to post more photos if anyone is interested.

GSS
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: Triumph seat on C5
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:12:08 AM »
I was just thinking about doing exactly this.  Looks really good!

Scott

deepaksuttatti

• Neophyte
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:45:08 AM »
I picked up a Triumph Bonneville seat a few months ago and finally got around to installing it on my 2010 C5 this weekend.  So far I like the way it looks and it seemed fairly comfortable on a short road test.

It is a few inches longer and a couple of inches wider than the stock RE seating, but fits really nicely.  I used the rear seat frame for 4 mounting points and the front frame mount where the OEM was bolted on.  It needed 4-5 brackets to make it fit without having to modify any of the RE frame.  I will be happy to post more photos if anyone is interested.

GSS

Please post some more pics about mounting details.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
GSS, your RE looks awesome with that seat. There's reallly something unique about it.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
GSS,

I would like to see some details on how you fitted the Triumph seat on your C5.

Just happens that I have a spare Triumph Bonneville seat that looks a lot like yours in my garage.   :) :)
2010  C5  Teal
Triumph Bonneville T100

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
 Good job on the seat install. Is that seat from a pre 2002 Bonneville
                                                                          bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »
Thank you for all the kind words.  Here are the details. The seat is probably for a newer Triumph and is listed at many sites as the Triumph Bonneville Contemporary Seat. It can accept a rigid cowl to cover the rear seat and turn it into a cafe racer seat. It appears to be an OEM part as it has Triumph logos and numbers molded within the pan and is manufactured by SHAD.

The first photo shows the C5 without the seats and rear backrest. The second photo is the bottom of the Triumph seat. I cut off the plastic protrusion in the front and 2 sections near the rear "wings" in the seat pan (photo 3). This allowed the pan to slightly lock into place at the front seat mount site for the RE. The cut rear wings locked precisely into the sides of the RE rear seat frame. This centered the whole seat very nicely and made subsequent fitting much easier. See the next post for the brackets....

GSS
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »
I made two L shaped brackets for the front mount, another two for the sides of the rear seat frame. The fifth mount was the long bar in the middle. These were bolted in loosely to the seat pan using nuts with a serrated locking surface that tightened up nicely against the inside of the plastic pan. The 2 bolts on the rear brackets in picture #1 were actually moved from the middle and rear holes to the middle and front holes (picture 2) to provide clearance for the backrest bars. The front brackets were mounted with double sided automotive tape (picture 1) until I had them lined up perfectly and then I drilled and bolted them to the pan (picture 2). Once I had everything lined up perfectly with the precision engineered Enfield parts, I tightened the seat to the new brackets and rear seat frame before mounting it as one unit on the bike. The two rubber bushings seen in the back (shock absorber bushing from a Jeep) fit between the pan and the RE rear seat frame and add a bit of support/rigidity to the rear edge.

GSS
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »
Looks good, the seat, crash bars, bar end mirrors, the 19" front wheel really fills out the fender nicely.

HD silencer??

Thanks for the post.
 :) :)
2010  C5  Teal
Triumph Bonneville T100

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:07 AM »
Thanks. Yes, it is a HD Softail muffler. The sound from my short bottle Silman got a bit tiring after a few months. This is a nice balance...tiny bit louder than OEM...has a catalytic converter...hasn't yellowed (or turned blue)..and install was easy.
2014 GT - Red
2010 C5 - Teal
It's a Jeep thing......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
Really nice and quite simple. 

Scott