HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

We went to Tibet but the Army won't allow us !

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 10:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?  (Read 3978 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:54 AM »
 Me not so much today. The other day was different story,,,,,pulled the head due to a regressing valve and seat.

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Re: What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Hi Ice:
I rode my bullet today. Crisp clear day today with autumn colors everywhere. I also have lots of twisties and hills. I ride most roads that are 45 to 55 mph roads that are great for my iron barrel bullet. I had the head off early in the season to replace the head gasket and I got a good seal this time by coating all surfaces with gascacinch. I'm not sure of that spelling but the stuff works good for me. I had a little oozing but removed the tank a second time and retorqued it and that did the trick. So lately, Ive been riding before snow flys. - - - not very far away here in northern New England.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
Took mine out for a run yesterday, very pissy at start up but it had sat for a month. Once underway she ran like a dream with the Goldie pipe barking all the way! Life is grand.
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Took mine out for a run yesterday, very pissy at start up but it had sat for a month. Once underway she ran like a dream with the Goldie pipe barking all the way! Life is grand.
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8)

I so way hate you right now   ;)  ;D  8)
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:18 PM »
Hi Ice:
I rode my bullet today. Crisp clear day today with autumn colors everywhere. I also have lots of twisties and hills. I ride most roads that are 45 to 55 mph roads that are great for my iron barrel bullet. I had the head off early in the season to replace the head gasket and I got a good seal this time by coating all surfaces with gascacinch. I'm not sure of that spelling but the stuff works good for me. I had a little oozing but removed the tank a second time and retorqued it and that did the trick. So lately, Ive been riding before snow flys. - - - not very far away here in northern New England.

Heaven on earth.  I envy you.

REA #136

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
Just saw your reply Ice....... ;D ;D ;D

typan

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »
Gave mine a bit of protective spray ready for winter !  ;)

Damon

• Bulleteer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
Nothing today, but yesterday I had the day off and decided to adjust my noisy valves. I found them both loose and got the exhaust done then went on to the Intake side where I promptly broke the adjuster!
 I then go ton the phone with our sponsors and got new ones ordered up and on their way.
 It is a good thing that the weather has changed and gotten really rainy here in the Seattle area so I won't be riding for a while.

Damon
2005 Bullet Continental

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
Well, today I worked on the new ACE raised-port Indian Iron Barrel heads which now flow over 240cfm according to our latest flow bench tests at Mondello's. That's more flow per port than a Corvette LS1.

Also worked on the new ACE roller rocker system for the Iron Barrels which will have between .500"-.600" lift at the valves, and their new alloy rocker boxes and rocker covers. Of course, this will include the valve adjustment screws in the rockers, so that we can use the new Nascar grade racing pushrods that we have worked on too. Real racing pushrods with adjustments under the rocker covers! Yeah!

On another front, we began porting a Big Head to see how well we can bring that up to snuff. Our first try at a Big Head. We'll use some of our new techniques on this head, if we can. Interestingly, the Big Head comes with a larger 1.94" intake valve, and a smaller 1.6" exhaust valve.  There are some things about this Big Head that we liked, and other things which maybe weren't so great. But it is a good experience.

And to top it all off, we began working on our plan for hotrodding the new 1070cc Musket V-Twin with our newest hi-po top ends. We're hoping for 100hp out of it. It's going to require some major clutch and drive-line work to hold the power.

Other than that, things were fairly dull.
I've been under the weather with a bad cold and respiratory infection. Need to get some rest.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:13:15 PM by ace.cafe »
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »
Even though there is some chance for temps to approach 50 the days are getting short and work is getting crazy.  I decided to put the bikes to sleep for the winter today :(

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
With Sandy looming ever closer, I took BFee out for a 2 hour blast up and Down the FDR Drive and the Belt Parkway. Revved her little heart out she did, so happy to be out playing.
I just snugged her down under her cover as the rain started lightly falling. I do believe she was smiling. :)
Chuck.
2006 Bullet Sixty-5 w/ Ace "Fireball 535" Kit (#10)
Ace "GP" head in the works.

'76 Honda CB550Four K(sold)

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understandin'?"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
I have the Bike Master Gel out of the bike for the past week...Using a new Schumaker speed charger, It toped off at 12.9V and has dropped to 11.75v over the past 5 days sitting on the bench with no load ...I'm thinking its a bad cell but I just put my secondary "Battery Tender" that chargers at .750 amps vice the 1.5 amp  to see if I can get that full charge rate up a wee bit more...Still think I have to take it to the shop and have them load test it as this "open voltage" type test is indicating a bad cell and we all know anything below 12.3 isn't good...
Oh Magoo you done it again

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
Ice, just saw this post. I didn't do anything with my Iron Barrel today but when you posted i was out riding. Nice roads near Deer Creek Canyon. The Enfield loves the twisties at 6,500 ft..
Hope your valve is fixed without any problems and are out riding again soon.
2002 Bullet ES

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:43:06 AM »
Thanks Dave !

I should have it back together by supper time tomorrow.

REA #136

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Neophyte
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
I collected my frame from the powder coaters, gloss Black and it looks great. I started stripping the engine, getting it ready for its new crankshaft. Stripping the primary is much harder with a belt drive as you can't use a clutch puller because the basket is so lightweight, so getting the clutch off took me ages. I hope to split the cases this weekend, but need to do my VAT return and bookwork so time will be tight.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
Picked up a new Yuasa battery at the yamaha dealer...I had the gel on a battery tender for the past two days and it measured 13.2v on the table this morning..A motorcycle battery load tester showed it was indeed bad...So much for that...I'll put it in in few days after we dry out here and attempt to repair the type f leaking from the bottom of the case...I have a new o ring gasket and maybe a smidge of black rtv that I picked up a few weeks ago at the New Holland dealer to see if it helps that issue...

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
I haven't been a fan of those Bikemaster Tru-gels. We ran into a couple of bad ones this summer, they were not even a year old yet either.
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Mine was year old and it failed the load test. I put the new battery in today and installed the charging cable/loops so that I can just plug in the charger...Went out,  filled up and went for a 20 min. ride. So far so good..Apparently, as the battery started to to fail, it gives the symptoms of sputtering out when you come to a stop...As long as I was able to give it  good throttle, it kept running and got me home....The Gel was twice the cost of the new  Yuasa and the previous Yuasa (OEM) battery did last for 5 years..Guess I just had a bad one....GM

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
If you have the receipt, you might be able to get a warranty done on one. I warrantied one or two of those Tru-Gels.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
What sold me was the video of them drilling into it and it didn't seem to  affect it (Not that I was anticipating on trying out that procedure) ...The fact that it could be position at different angles and vibration proof was another  (Don't we know how that is ) ..Finally being a totally sealed unit finalized my decision....It was stamped in bold lettering at the bottom "Made in China"..Not sure on the Yusas but one would think its made here as they have put acid in it...I'm sure their are plenty of riders who swear by them...Just didn't last for me....No biggie, have other things that need addressing and time to move on...GM

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
Yuasa does offer a cheaper Chinese brand of battery, called Moto-cross I think. I have sold only a couple. I mainly sell Yuasa's, I rarely ever have a problem with them, maybe 1 a year (if that) and I sell a BUNCH of them ever year.

joebuilder12

• Neophyte
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:06 PM »
Well, this is my first post having just found this forum, and running out of awnsers as fast as I need them.
  This weekend I finally got my early 99 bullet 500 on the road after a long time up on the lift. I bought the bike in july, got it home, rode it 3 miles when i lost electric power. I bought a new stator from bulletwala and installed it, rode the bike 3 miles when i found that the head gasket was leaking, ordered a new set from india, pulled the head, found it warped, had it milled, found valve springs below service spec, ordered new ones from bulletwala, reseated valves with grinding polish and a slow drill, installed reg rec combo unit, discovered that my new stator was a 6 volt, ordered new one, right one this time with violet green and white leads, installed it, found rocker box nuts were sloppy replacements, ordered new ones, and put it all back together and rode it 3 miles, brake light stopped working, turn signal indicator stopped working, and neutral light as well, these are in a 7 inch headlamp assy. I would really like to take a trip longer than 3 miles, so I have to sniff out what my new electrical issue is and try again.....

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
Welcome, JoeBuilder.  Sounds like a headache, but also fun!  You've definitely got a bad connection or short somewhere.  You might try checking the wiring bundle at binding/chaffing spots.  Mine had issues where it rubs on the frame near the headlight.

As to what I did today: I finished the paint on my front number plate today.  I accidentally touched it while wet, so it doesn't look great, but oh well, "doesn't look great" describes the rest of my bike's paint.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:03:15 AM by LarsBloodbeard »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:47 AM »
Hello joebuilder12, welcome aboard and congrats on your Bullet.

Be prepared for the bliss and perma grin these things bring once the troubles are sorted.

REA #136

joebuilder12

• Neophyte
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, and the advice. I will check the wiring under the tank  and up to the headlight, I remember not paying attention to this specifically when I remounted the tank, will let you know, peace, joe

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
Yuasa does offer a cheaper Chinese brand of battery, called Moto-cross I think. I have sold only a couple. I mainly sell Yuasa's, I rarely ever have a problem with them, maybe 1 a year (if that) and I sell a BUNCH of them ever year.

The Motocross is MADE IN USA.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/YTX14AHL-BS.html

View product images.
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

Visit MisterEdsWoodworking @ Etsy.com

2008 Military RE 535    2006 Ural Gear Up

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »
I took the Cafe Racer we got in for a ride on Saturday. Put around 60ish miles on her. Got back and oil was everywhere from the crankcase breather filter. It was mounted/laying on top of the transmission, so this morning I stopped at NAPA and picked up a 90 degree elbow and some hose and mounted the filter upright. Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
 8)Went for a nice ride Sunday. The weather was bizarre, 68 deg and a 40 mph wind! Yes this is in Michigan. Dropping down to high twenties tonight though.
Robert & REnfield.
P.S. good luck 72westie.

walken4life

• Bulleteer
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
72Westie, I have read of others having problems trying to run just a plain old crankcase breather like that on the Enfield.  I don't believe that breather is included as part of the Cafe Racer kit, but I could be wrong.  Some other folks run just a 'duckbill' hose instead of the stock condenser can (which needs drained periodically, also called the 'mayo can').  But there is supposed to be a certain amount of crankcase pressure for the bike to happy.

Hitchcock's sells a pretty slick kit for this as well, that I happen to have:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-timingside

It is the breather modification at the top.  Lets the moisture and excess pressure out of the crankcase while keeping the oil in.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:21:01 PM by walken4life »

j byrd

• Scooter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 12:50:30 AM »
   Well, today I fired that rascal up on the 1st spin, grinning like a possum, pushed it out of the garage, and rode down to the end of the second street in our subdivision where it promptly died. After lots of trying to starts, I gave up. We tied a rope to my wife's scooter and started pulling it back up the hill to our house. She got a bit out of control on the steeper part, swerved left over a curb into a rock pile and jerked me over on the left side. SO- - what I did was break a clutch lever, hurt my foot that was trapped under it, bent the shift lever, and called the bike a very uncomplementory name. Still pouting and charging the battery back up to try again later, BAH !!!!  John  Oh, wifey was OK as  was her scooter.
j byrd

72westie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »
Hey Walken,
I have one of those Hitchcock kits on my race bike and it works great. I have it routed from the breather to the filler neck, from there up to some fittings in the rocker boxes covers, to a catch can and finally a hose running to the back tail section. If for some reason oil gets past the filler neck return, it goes up and gives a little extra oil into rocker arms. My catch can gets a little condensation after a couple of months, but no oil.  :D

If this breather set-up still doesn't work, I am going to route it differently and add a line going out the back of the tail section like a race bike. I am just trying to get it to quit marking its spot.

forrestt

• If it aint broke...
  • Neophyte
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
I only just now saw this interesting thread.
Yesterday after working in the yard there was still some daylight and the air wasn't too chilly yet so I was able go for a short ride around the neighborhood backroads. It was a great way to end the day.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
Yesterday I removed the catch can and put a duckbill hose to the chain instead (really glad to have that junk out of there.  Cleaned off a thick layer of grime that the catch can had created, and I couldn't reach to clean while it was in place.  Moved my coil a bit to accommodate the air box (that Bosh blue coil is quite a bit larger).  Put my battery on a solar charger.  Re-crimped my positive battery lead.  Tried to adjust my snail cams but I found I'm lacking a 30mm wrench for the rear hub spindle nut, so I put in an order to Amazon for one.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
Well, it was  getting dark by the time I'd finished, but what I did was try a different silencer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQJMPBsve0

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
Well, it was  getting dark by the time I'd finished, but what I did was try a different silencer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQJMPBsve0

Tom
Nice sound. Great look.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »
I just past 22222 miles.  My fuel mileage seems to be dropping in the cooler weather,  using a bit of oil, and I think I saw some smoke out the exhaust.  What are the indications of a ring job?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 01:27:50 AM »
What are the indications of a ring job?

Using oil and seeing some smoke out the exhaust.   ;D

That could also be a sign of the valve oil seals wearing out.

To test for worn piston rings you will need a good compression guage to find out how much compression the engine has.  This test is always done with the carburetor or throttle body at a "wide open" condition.

First, test the engine just the way it's sitting after the last shut down.  Take several readings and record them.

Once this is done, pour about a tablespoon or so of engine oil thru the sparkplug hole.
Then, kick over the engine a few times.
Now, retest the compression several times, recording the values.

If the first and second test readings are very close and 120 psi or higher the piston rings are doing their job just fine so any oil burning is due to leaky valve stem seals.

If the first test is below 90 psi that only indicates something is  quite wrong.

If the second, oiled test shows a marked improvement in compression (like the 90 psi reading goes up to 130 psi) that indicates the piston rings are leaking.  They need to be replaced.

If there is less than 10 psi difference between the first (dry) test and the second (oiled) test but the low compression stays about the same it indicates a burned valve.  This is usually the exhaust valve.  (This assumes the valves are properly adjusted because a mis adjustment of the pushrods could leave a valve hanging open.)

Hope this helps. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 02:17:07 AM »
Ariz,
Thanks for the info and comments, I will see if I can find a compression tester tomorrow.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
I just past 22222 miles.  My fuel mileage seems to be dropping in the cooler weather,  using a bit of oil, and I think I saw some smoke out the exhaust.  What are the indications of a ring job?

It might be a combination of other things.
Winter jetting is richer, and would give worse fuel mileage in cold weather because of that, assuming that you re-jetted.
Smoke out the exhaust in cold weather can simply be water condensation inside the exhaust pipes steaming off. If the smoke goes away after a few minutes, then that's probably what it is.
Using a bit of oil could be rings or guides/seals or leaks. At your bike's mileage, it would be conceivable to need some things like that to be looked-after.
Check your engine breather for any of that white gooey "mayonnaise" of congealed oil and condensed water. That happens this time of year, and it can clog the breather hoses, causing pressure to build up in the crankcase, and push oil up past the rings, or cause leaks anywhere it can get out. Clean out all your breather hoses and related parts.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AcePerformanceBullets/info

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Yesterday, I think I got closer to a better mix and timing, but more importantly, internally acknowledged that it'll never be good until I pull out the distributor shaft and bushing and replace whichever, or both, is shot.  The cam has some very visible run-out as it rotates, but there's no play in the shaft that I can feel, so I think it's bent, as crazy as that sounds.  Useless to chase perfect ignition timing when it's probably not mechanically possible.

Today, I adorned my handlebars with some pompom tassels scored from a Rajasthani truck stop, the same kind the big truck drivers hang from their mirrors but trimmed to 350cc proportions.

India:  "If you can't fix it, decorate it!"

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
agentx - "" Today, I adorned my handlebars with some pompom tassels scored from a Rajasthani truck stop."Sounds like u immersing yourself in the culture on that 350 cc machine...Fantastic...You definitely been riding more than I did when living over there..I just did the Delhi scene and didn't venture out past the city..Sounds like fun. GM

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
agentx - "" Today, I adorned my handlebars with some pompom tassels scored from a Rajasthani truck stop."Sounds like u immersing yourself in the culture on that 350 cc machine...Fantastic...You definitely been riding more than I did when living over there..I just did the Delhi scene and didn't venture out past the city..Sounds like fun. GM

Well, I joined a local riders' club and that's been the ticket for me.  Odd, because I prefer to ride alone or in a pair at max...I like motorcycles/bikes to get away from people, not to be social...but in the local environment, having people who know where to go and how to get there is invaluable and the group's enabled me to experience India in a way many outsiders haven't.

There are of course some odd conventions, a lot of hand-holding, and a fairly desperate insistence on having a road name and a name for your bike.  I finally acquiesced and chose a name for my bike today, too...  "Bhenchod."  :)   Given our relationship it's the only possible name I could have chosen.  It seems to have cracked the guys up quite a bit, except one man with no sense of humor.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
"Bhenchod"

Nice.  I miss riding in India.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Potty mouth! ;D

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
Bhenchod really likes the Punjabi tassels.  Gave me no problems today except some dying out in traffic on sudden stops.  I hope if I get the distributor and bushing replaced that'll go away.

Will try to get some pics up soon.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
I finally acquiesced and chose a name for my bike today, too...  "Bhenchod."  :)   Given our relationship it's the only possible name I could have chosen.  It seems to have cracked the guys up quite a bit, except one man with no sense of humor.

How is this the only name you could come up with? I'm not sure how much that slang is used in India but assume it could be offensive to some. I think there must be a better name for your Bullet.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »
Did my first oil change....first one I done..used bike..soo

...what a mess...enviro hazard...got more oil everywhere...changed filter and installed oil packing piece and magnet.....got it all finished...should have followed advice on making some sort of  diverter over exhause when pulling quill bolt plug?...wiped exhause..but still smoked like  crazy..ha ha...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
How is this the only name you could come up with? I'm not sure how much that slang is used in India but assume it could be offensive to some. I think there must be a better name for your Bullet.

Maybe I'll paint it on the tank.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Maybe I'll paint it on the tank.
Whatever blows your hair back! Hope it gets rave reviews and ends up being a big hit for you.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
Yesterday I got down to the dealer and grabbed a new oil filter.  Poured some Seafoam in the oil and ran it to the store and back, then drained out the old and filled it with new.  Added some Lucas gunk to hopefully quiet the noises It's making.  Took off the distributor cap to adjust the timing and one of the plate bolts came out with the screw.  Had a hell of a time separating those.  Thought I'd check the gap just for the heck of it and found it was .024!  Didn't have time to adjust that... tonight hopefully.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:08 AM »
Fork discussions seem to be all the rage in the forums right now.  And after reading Bare's fork oil change report, it inspired me to change my fork oil too.  I have bigger issues with the bike, but what the heck... fork oil is cheap.

My forks were sticking like crazy.  I'd come to a stop at a stop light and they'd dip and just stay there till the engine vibration worked them free again.

I ordered some Maxima "high performance" fork fluid (10wt) from Amazon, and grabbed a little measuring cup dealy from a local motorsport shop.  First off, the drain bolts would not budge!  Wound up whacking my wrench with a mallet a handful of times before I finally got them to turn.  Are they really supposed to be that torqued?  I drained the oil into the measuring cup to see how much was in it (there was 150 cc in each).  The oil was filthy... I mean REALLY filthy (see pic).  I decided they needed flushing, so I capped them off again and dumped in some petrol then got on the bike and pushed the nose down a dozen times.  Drained that gunk out (black again!) and let them air dry for a couple hours.  Replaced the top seals with some appropriate size o-rings and filled it with 200cc of crystal clear new fork oil.

Took it for a test drive and they're definitely better, but still a bit sticky.  Perhaps they'll improve over time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:27:19 AM by LarsBloodbeard »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
When we went on the 250 miler last Sunday, mine were better on the way back than going. The oil just needs to circulate and get everything lubed.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »
That's what I'm hoping.

Today I swapped my front "skidmaster" for a k70.  Then I wire brushed the rust off the hub and sanded the chrome to prep for painting.  I figured I might as well enamel the front rim while I have it off.  The chrome really bugs me on this military bike.  Sometime I'll probably have the rims powder coated, but for now rattle cans will do.  To mask off the tire I deflated it, cut up some junk mail, inserted it between the rim and tire, and re-inflated the tire, then finished it off with some masking tape.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:29:44 AM by LarsBloodbeard »

cafeman

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
 Removed the foot pegs on my just purchased 01 Bullet, welded a nice bead on the "flats" of each where they contact the footpeg mounts. Then filed the welds down just so the pegs sit parallel with the ground instead of drooping (like they are bent down) 
 Aligned the rear fender stays with the rear wheel so the fender is centered instead of cocked to one side.
 Disassembled the shift linkage as it was bound up and shifts were crap. Removed rust from shaft and bushings, cleaned, relubed, now operates smooth as silk.
 Removed Goldstar Replica silencer and polished it up.
 Re-routed the modified breather hose from alongside the fender stay to under the fender alongside the wiring harness. Much tidier.
 Lubed the clutch cable, brake cable, adjusted the throttle cable. Major difference in operation ;D
 Lubed the speedometer cable.
 Installed nos Gran Turismo grips and Halcyon mirrors.
 Installed British made gas cap.
 Installed wingnut on timing inspection cover.
 Next it's on to dialing in the carb for lower altitude, and polishing/waxing....and waiting for some other tidbits to arrive from Hitchcocks.

Last thing I did today on the Bullet was sit back and oogle 8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:33:18 PM by cafeman »

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Now THATS a thing of beauty !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:51 AM »
Rode my '99 Deluxe today...tightened the KS lever,it had slipped about 1/3 of the way off of the shaft!Re-mounted my solo seat-cover last Sunday with SNAPS,instead of those awful,rusty,formerly black split rivets and bent finger slicing tabs...will re-mount the pillion cover this Sunday,pix to follow...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some restrictions may apply~subject to change without notice~