HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Himalayas Ladakh

in
Members Rides

53 Guests, 10 Users (2 Hidden)
mattsz, B5 Ben, krimp, gizzo, shibbo, REpozer, motomataya, Monstar
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 08:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did I break now?  (Read 516 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
What did I break now?
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:53:09 AM »
I finally got my bullet all reassembled, and now I can't start it.  Spark looks good but no combustion.  After running the battery low and then kicking for a while, I noticed there was a pool of fuel on the ground.  So I suspect I screwed up the carb somehow.  Or maybe I have the adjustments wrong.  Compression is definitely good as I can't really kick it past the compression stroke without using the decompressor.

Here's everything I did.  I know many of these aren't applicable but I figured I'll list everything just in case.

*replaced oil & filter -- added magnetic drain plug and magnet inside filter
*replaced alternator (both stator and magnet rotor)
*replaced 500cc iron barrel with 535cc alloy barrel
*replaced wrist pin and piston with forged 535cc versions
*added 2mm spacer below barrel
*replaced copper head gasket with composite gasket
*decoked head
*valve job (didn't replace any valve components)
*cleaned spark plug, checked gap (.022)
*stripped rust out of gas tank with bb's and vinegar, washed, dried, and sprayed with a light coating of penetrating oil, then filled with high octane gas.
*disassembled carb & cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner
*replaced all jets
*checked float height (26mm)
*screwed pilot air screw in all the way, then backed out 1.5 turns.
*screwed idle adjuster in all the way, then backed out a few turns (didn't really count)

Not sure what I could have messed up in the carb.  It seemed pretty straightforward.  It acts like it's not getting fuel though.  Maybe I put the float in upside down?  Is that even possible?

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Re: What did I break now?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »
Nevermind... got it started... boy was that a beautiful sound to hear!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now to finish up the exhaust, find an air filter that is less restrictive but fits in the original box (any tips?), and tune it up.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:03:50 AM »
That's how I felt last night after I finally got it to turn over...

I had a recent float problem myself, though...the brass float had started taking on fuel veeeerrrrry slowly.  Couldn't find a leak anywhere on the float when I immersed it in water, but over a few days, a little gas would accumulate inside and gradually carb performance would get wonky as the float began to sink.  Replaced and it's fine again.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:10:27 AM »
We're brothers in frustration and elation! 

I guess it was flooded... What's weird is I didn't even touch the throttle at all.  Maybe it was all the tweaking with the air and idle screws.  Oh well, I know it runs at least.

I was tempted to test the float, but I figured it was okay since the bike ran before it seized.  And anyway, I want a CV carb or VM32 perhaps.