HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Indian Chief muffler on the C5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 02:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chain Lube Tip  (Read 2001 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Chain Lube Tip
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
Webbikeworld.com only evaluated how they went on and what the label said was in them.  They didn't do long term tests to see how well they performed well as a lube.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
That's my problem with reviews, they're mostly about how easy they go on and how much they fling.  They often get used for a year or so but it's just the user's subjective opinion at the end.  Vince's story carries a lot more weight IMO.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
...... Modern chain lubes are thin enough to seep past the o-ring to replenish the grease in the bushings.........

Magic.
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5
1979 XS11 w/vetter terraplane
1981 XS11 streetfighter
1983 Venture Royale
1982 CB750K
1971 Triumph Trident
1969 CB450
1966 Sears (puch) 250

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
 I tried tacky chain lubes several different times in the past and found the biggest problem with them is that they are tacky. 
 Tacky = holds on to every bit of road grit and makes a nice grinding paste that will not fling off.
 In my fleet of one year round ridden commuter Bullet the absolute best I ever got out of it's plain chain lubed with the tacky stuff was 2,000 miles.

My usual chain maintenance regimen is wash and re lube the chain every Sunday. 

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
    Ice, you are right. Chain lube is tacky and will capture and hold grit. I find it better to have some lube with my grit, rather no lube at all. But the debate on this point has been loud and contentious since the beginning of time. Most of the grit will be on the outside. Wipe off excess grit before you lube so you don't carry grit into the bushings. My dirt bike chain was removed after every ride and cleaned in solvent before re-installing and lubing. My street bike isn't ridden in those conditions, so I just occasionally wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD-40.
     In other words, appropriate maintenance goes a long way. A good chain should last 10 to 15 thousand miles. On my XS-650 I replace the chain around 15 thousand miles. I'm on my second rear sprocket in 115,000 miles. It is just about due again.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:06:52 PM by Vince »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »
 Today some good news !!

DuPont returned my call to day and I had a nice conversation with the chemical guru on the other end of the line.

Turns out Chain saver is indeed the new name for the old formula Multi-Use and still contains Molybdenum Disulphide and Calcium Sterate !!

By law they only need to list the first five ingredients so that's what they did. Turns out the same marketing "geniuses" that decided to change the name also designed the new label.

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »
    Ice, you are right. Chain lube is tacky and will capture and hold grit. I find it better to have some lube with my grit, rather no lube at all. But the debate on this point has been loud and contentious since the beginning of time. Most of the grit will be on the outside. Wipe off excess grit before you lube so you don't carry grit into the bushings. My dirt bike chain was removed after every ride and cleaned in solvent before re-installing and lubing. My street bike isn't ridden in those conditions, so I just occasionally wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD-40.
     In other words, appropriate maintenance goes a long way. A good chain should last 10 to 15 thousand miles. On my XS-650 I replace the chain around 15 thousand miles. I'm on my second rear sprocket in 105,000 miles. It is just about due again.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

REA #136

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 04:42:35 AM »
I'm not sure what to make of this.

This is turning into an oil thread.  ::)
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 04:01:01 AM »
TRUST ME!  The Dupont product is not tacky, Really lubricates, but wont sling. I have used it for some years, & I Highly Recommend it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 06:51:03 AM »
I should clarify my earlier starements where I said dry lubes were tacky.  They go on wet and stick well to the chain, but are not tacky or wet feeling once they dry. They do not attract or hold dirt.  By tacky I just meant they stick to the chain well.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
I should clarify my earlier starements where I said dry lubes were tacky.  They go on wet and stick well to the chain, but are not tacky or wet feeling once they dry. They do not attract or hold dirt.  By tacky I just meant they stick to the chain well.

Scott

I've been using the Amsoil spray and everyone comments that I need to oil my chain.  I have them run finger on it and that shuts them up.  It's great for garage door opener chains too.
1975 XLCH