HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Extra Lights on Either Side of Headlight of G5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 12:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bike wouldn't start in the cold this morning...  (Read 2470 times)

jonico61

• La Balita Roja: 2011 Electra 500cc EFI
  • Neophyte
  • Riding the Bull in Spain
Re: Bike wouldn't start in the cold this morning...
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
New battery, definitely. My stock battery only lasted a year, died in the 30 winter here. I bought a new battery with a few more amps to it, re-rigged the battery frame holder since it was ever so slightly bigger (damn!) but haven't a had a problem ever since.
2011 Bullet Electra 500cc EFI
www.abulleteerinspain.blogspot.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
New battery, definitely. My stock battery only lasted a year, died in the 30 winter here. I bought a new battery with a few more amps to it, re-rigged the battery frame holder since it was ever so slightly bigger (damn!) but haven't a had a problem ever since.

Out of curiosity, what did you do to the battery holder?  I've been thinking of putting a stack of washers on the bolts behind mine because the battery the dealer gave me hits the frame and the cover won't go on.   ???

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
To avoid the lurch fan the clutch a few times with the engine running and the bike in neutral before you put it in gear.

Scott

FWIW, I can fan the clutch lever 'till the cows come home, but it doesn't free up the stuck clutch plates.  The best method for me is the pre-start hold clutch in / kick lever method (I have a kick start lever).  It doesn't come easy.  In warmer days, I could use the push bike with clutch in method, but now that it's cold, it's too hard.  The engine turns, or the back wheel drags...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
If it's gotten that drastic, start it on the center stand, pull the clutch and put it in gear, then drop it on the ground...That'll do it! :o
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
Is that different than having the bike idling and putting it in gear?  When I do that, it stalls.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:45 PM »
That sounds pretty harsh.  Is your clutch adjusted properly?  Does the bike have any shifting issues?  If yes and no, then I guess yours is just stickier than most.

Scott