HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Military Mike's Bike

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 08:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NField Gear windshield "Style 1"  (Read 1921 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
NField Gear windshield "Style 1"
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:21:20 AM »
I wanted to install a windshield against the cold weather.  I got some helpful input from SinghG5 - if you've run through his YouTube videos, you've noticed his windshield as he rides around town with snow on the ground!

After shopping around a bit, I decided to support our hosts by ordering one from NField gear.  I ordered Windshield Style 1, part # Z90745.  Turns out it's a Memphis Shades Demon, style 2210.  NFG's price is $193.95, the MSRP shown on the Memphis Shades site.  In Google shopping for the same rig around the web, I found that this price is competitive, just a few dollars more than the cheapest source I could find.  Plus the shipping was cheap and very fast!  So, score another point for NFG in my mind.

Anyway, the installation was easy - a bit fussy when trying to get the screen in position with all the attachment points loose.  I assumed that with all the "infinitely adjustable" mountings, it would be easy to adjust the position and angle, but in fact, once everything is tightened down, it really wants to be in just one spot.  I wish I could adjust it a bit more to experiment with different angles.  First three pics show the installation.

I think it looks pretty good on the bike - not too big or intrusive.  One thing to note, which at first I thought was going to be annoying but now I just find interesting, is the way the lights interact with the screen.  The speedo and indicator lights reflect off it, but it doesn't really bother me since I look over the top of the screen, and the chin bar of my full-face helmet blocks some of that out anyway (in my normal riding position, I can't really see my "dashboard" without tipping my head down).  The turn signals reflect in it also - again, not a big deal… it's a good reminder that they're on!  Perhaps the most interesting thing is the way the two forward-facing pilot bulbs light things up - the plastic transmits the light from those two bulbs fiber-optic style to illuminate the edges of the screen.  Again, not bothersome to me, but a bit strange and possibly a bit cool?  Is it cool if I need to ask whether it's cool or not?  Check out pic 4 and decide for yourselves!

As for function, it serves its primary function perfectly - it keeps the wind off my body when I ride, making a huge difference in my comfort on the bike in the cold.  As expected, my head remains in the wind, which is ok - I don't want such a big screen that I'm completely covered, and in my full-face it feels about the same.

Only one drawback so far: what surprises me is the wind noise in my helmet with the screen in place.  It's loud.  How loud?  At-60-mph-I-cannot-hear-my-engine loud.  Earplugs help bring the overall noise level back down about to where it was without the screen and without the earplugs, so that's all good…  but it's loud.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Re: NField Gear windshield "Style 1"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:09:17 AM »
Looks great Mattsz ! I installed  a similar screen on my bike and experience the loud wind blast to the face and helmet. Nature of the beast I guess. They sure make a difference. Good job.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:48:01 AM »
I have the same windshield mounted on my G5 for road trips.
A most excellent shield IMO.

It doesn't seem to hurt the fuel economy either.
On my last 400 mile trip with the windshield in place I averaged 76.1 mpg (US gallons) and part of this trip was climbing from 1200 feet to over 7000 feet.

On that trip, a lot of BIG ugly bugs apparently didn't see the windshield so I had to remove them with hydrogen peroxide after I got home. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »
Thanks guys!

re. noise: I have always thought that my helmet, a new Shoie Qwest, was awfully noisy.  It's my first helmet, and when I bought it I didn't own a motorcycle so I couldn't really do any comparative testing.  I read some good reviews of it, but as I research it again I'm finding more comments from users about how noisy it is.  It came with an uninstalled, removable mesh "chin curtain", which "prevents rolling-in of wind or noise around chin".  I forgot I had it, but my recollection is that it didn't make any difference.  Worth a try again, I guess...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
Speaking only of full face helmets, it's amazing how much difference there can be in the noise level.

Years ago I had a Bell helmet that was positively terrible.
I got an Arai that was pretty good.  Much better than the Bell, but it cost slightly more than an arm and a leg.

The HJC CL-16 helmet I have now is MUCH quieter than the Arai was.
Yes, I can hear the wind but it isn't a roar and even at 65 mph I can hear the sounds of cars coming up along side of me.

http://www.amazon.com/HJC-Helmets-CL-16-Helmet-Black/dp/B002RPFZ42
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
I have an old Shoei (1995 or so)that I keep because it's the quietest of the lot of helmets that I still have. I wear is occasionally.
I have a Bell Apex that I usually wear if I'm going full face, but it's not as quiet as the Shoei.
Next on the list would be my Fulmer open face, like a Bell 500. It's surprisingly quiet for an open face and my usual wear. It goes with the Enfield. Still not to the "earplugs required" loud yet.
Then my HJC flip front helmet. Surprisingly noisy and heavy, I seldom use it.
Then the Bell 500, it's at the earplugs required level. I don't care for the fit or the noisy aspects of it.
Then my favorite helmet, the Davida Porridge Pot. But I don't use it much because of the earplug definitely requirement and the strap setup is a bit of a PITA. But it is cool!
Then I have a JVC porridge pot. Pure crap, probably should just throw it away.
To get closer to the subject, I did install a flyscreen from Hitchcocks. It does a nice job of deflecting the wind off my chest and hasn't seemed to have hurt my mileage any. However, removing the windblast from my chest has shifted the load to my arms, and the 285 miler Jack and I did the other day resulted in a pained elbow! I guess I have to break in my elbow now!
Bare
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:41:49 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

nymonzajr

• Neophyte
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:15:54 AM »
My buddy has a Harley Sportster, and he installed a windshield on it.  I had ridden it both before and after, and found it nearly unbearable to ride with the windshield installed due to windnoise.  I wear a Zuess full face helmet.

Some guys install a small adjustable louver on top  of the windshield to
redirect the air, and that seems to work.

Jack

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:10:43 AM »
Hi Jack-

Can you possibly elaborate on the "adjustable louver"?  I love what the windscreen does for my body temperature, but the noise is another matter...

nymonzajr

• Neophyte
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Matt,

If you look at some of the touring sites, or most anything BMW or Goldwing related you will see what I mean.  It is simply a long narrow piece of plexi with a hinged pair of clips that fasten to the top of your windshield.  You can adjust the angle to direct the wind.  I have a buddy that has one on his BMW, he says it works great--he rides 10K miles or so a year.  Some of them are even electric.

If I can find a direct link, I will pass it on.  Maybe check out Aerostitch or ADVrider.

No personal experience with the louver (maybe called wind diverter or something similar), but I do know that I can direct the wind by holding my hand over the windshield on my old '71 Honda CB350.

Good Luck,
jack

nymonzajr

• Neophyte
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDfJyXnIQ0

Here is a good example. 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
In just a few, quick-read entries of another thread, the subject of "micro-swirl" windscreen edging came up:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1259.msg29850.html#msg29850

Basically, it breaks up the air flow over the top of the screen to improve wind noise and buffeting problems.

Here's a little update.  Micro-Swirl is now available in a "new generation-4" design (http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80).  You can buy it for US$12.90 per foot, and it comes with a money back guarantee.  Or you can buy their "generation-2, grade 2" (http://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=714&category=77), which is returns (see previous sentence) or has "minor blemishes" for about US$8 per foot, no refunds.

I sent an email asking about the differences between the two products, and this is the immediate reply I got:

Aerodynamically there is only about 7% improvement which is no big deal to the human ear. Cosmetically Gen-4 goes around tighter corners without buckling so it does look better in the corners. Grade-2 will have some minor cosmetic flaw such as a little mark off from the imprint wheel but this is hardly a concern to most riders.

I'm thinking about giving the gen-4  stuff a try.  More expensive, I know, but if it's even a little better than the closeout stuff, it's worth a try for me, and if it doesn't work, well, they do offer refunds!

Guaire

• Bulleteer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:23 AM »
Hi Matt - Welcome to the world of aerodynamics. The 'diverter' is available at http://www.laminarlip.com
It uses the principal of 'reverse air foil' dynamics. If you know how an airfoil, an airplane wing works, it will help your understanding of why the Laminar Lip works so well.
  The Saeng product helps stock windscreens get a bit better. There is one on my '02 Honda ST1100.
  Now, the problem you first mentioned is the important one. At speed, the windscreen punches a hole in the air. The air rolls over the top and into the low pressure area in back of the screen. That's where you are sitting. That's the problem you are identifying. It happens because there is no air flow to force that air current away from you. That's because air flow is cut off at the bottom end of the shield, creating the low pressure. The low pressure sucks air down from the top of the screen. If you were to wear a 'flying ace' WWI style scarf, it will show the air flow. The scarf will be blowing forward while you are riding.
  To keep air moving past you, the air pressure has to rise at the bottom of the screen. You did a great job of mounting the screen. It needs to be able to pass more air between the headlight nacelle and the screen. Consider the top tip of the screen. It has all the room in the world. Compare that to the space between the bottom of the screen and the headlight. The air flow there is very restricted. The top and bottom have to be more equalized to get the air moving past you. Instead of moving past you, the air goes over the top of the screen and rolls back into the low pressure area, toward the bottom of the screen. You are sitting in that turbulent area.
  Take a look at this front end of an ST1100. The photo is from the Laminar Lip website. Notice the big vent under the windscreen. Without that vent, the air pocket of the ST would be like yours.

The short answer is, get some air flowing under the windscreen.
Cheers,
Bill

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Bill!

As sometimes happens here, threads wander and as it turns out there's another thread where the discussion goes further:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15898.0/all.html

What I find interesting is how the same screen, on the same model bike even, can be mounted almost exactly the same way and cause trouble for me and none for somebody else.  Since I increased the angle of attack, and by default the height of the top lip of the screen, to exactly match Shamelin's installation (pics: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15898.msg172415.html#msg172415), there as been a very subtle difference in the noise.  In that thread I claimed no difference, but I think there is a barely detectable decrease.

It's interesting; at 20-30 mph, I sometimes hear a crackling noise, almost like the sound of a shirt or jacket collar tag sticking out in back and flapping in the breeze against my helmet - or perhaps a better description is, imagine an unworn hood on a super lightweight nylon jacket flapping in the breeze behind your head (and yes, I checked - no tags or hoods flapping!  ;) ).  This noise goes away as the speed increased above, say, 40 mph, and from there on up it's all dull wind roar.

Ducati Scotty and Arizoni had the same suggestion as you - raise the screen to let some air in the bottom.  I haven't done that, as I haven't chased down the longer mounting bars I would need.  How large a gap are you recommending?  I'm concerned that too much space will simply funnel air back onto my body, which is what I'm trying to prevent in the cold weather in the first place....

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
I'm beginning to think the problem is not with your windscreen but it is your helmet that's making all of the noise.

My old Bell full face helmet was horrable, with our without a windshield..  My Arai was good with or without a windshield and my current HJC CL16 is great.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe