Menu

Members Rides

On the trail again, just like back in the day

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 03:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jack for use with bike/sidecar  (Read 481 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Jack for use with bike/sidecar
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Dimensions are not critical.  They were based on what was in my shop at the time and the size of my tool pouch.  I started with 6.25" of tubing and 6.25" length of all-thread stock.  Stock is 1/2 - 13 thread and tubing is 5/8" OD and just over 1/2" ID.  I made a wing-nut from 1/4" brass, about 4" long.  A common nut for which you have a wrench in tool kit could be used.  I made a foot and saddle from aluminum scrap on hand.  The foot could be a short bolt with large head, such as an "elevator screw" used for leveling tools, refrigerators, etc.  The saddle could be a hex nut to fit threaded stock with a notch cut in top with bench grinder, hacksaw, or the like, and fixed to top of threaded stock with a drop of Locktite or epoxy.  You just need something to keep it in place without damaging paint.  I went the route I did because I have a lathe and mill in the backyard.  If you need to remove tire from sidecar or bike it is very handy.  I have even used it to make slight adjustments in sidecar alignment.  It can slightly spread sidecar frame from bike frame.  If the frames need to be pulled together slightly, loop a 3/8" rope around them, tie, and put tube through rope and twist.  This is much more controlable than a bump with the hip.  GA-DK

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Re: Jack for use with bike/sidecar
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to attach photos.  GA-DK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Re: Jack for use with bike/sidecar
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
Very ingenious. :)
Jim