HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Test ride new C5 at Chennai RE factory

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 07:49:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Historical article  (Read 446 times)

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Great Historical article
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:38 AM »
I am on the Motorcycle Classics email list and just found this article;
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-british-motorcycles/1968-royal-enfield-interceptor.aspx  Sorry, I'm not sure how to make it live, but it worked for me with copy and paste. The title is Twin using modern methods....
1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor: England's Forgotten Twin. It includes a really nice history of Royal Enfield and the variations on the Interceptor. Give it a read and I would love to here what you think. I dare you to click the link below and not read the entire article  ;)

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/uploadedImages/Articles/Issues/2008-05-01/Enfield3.jpg
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:13:37 AM by iowarider »
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Re: Great Historical article
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
What a beauty. Such a nice looking engine.  Good article!  Like this bit:

"It’s a common misconception that Royal Enfield made guns as well as motorcycles, including the Lee-Enfield rifle. It’s a reasonable assumption, given the company’s “made like a gun” slogan.

Many also suppose the company earned its regal prefix by supplying cycles to sovereigns. Neither is correct — though they make for a good story. Royal Enfield got its trademark through good old-fashioned snake-oil salesmanship, and the salesman in question was one Albert Eadie. In 1890, he purchased George Townsend and Co., near Redditch, Worcestershire, in England’s “Black Country.”

Originally a manufacturer of sewing needles, Townsend had turned to making bicycle parts and supplanted its income with sub-contract work, including making gun parts for the Royal Ordnance Factory in Enfield, Middlesex. Eadie appropriated “Royal” and “Enfield” to create the company’s brand name."

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Gorgeous Interceptor!
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head Conversion. Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available anywhere.  AVL mods available. UCE kit coming.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
RE: Would you start making this bike again. Put your dang EFI on it and a faux carb to cover it up.
2008 RE Classic- Fireball-For Sale

2009 Aprilia Mana

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
Put your dang EFI on it and a faux carb to cover it up.

Works for Triumph!
As for the stories linked to up top, I read the Hodaka one. It was very interesting to me as I had a Yamaguchi 50 and a Rickman Hodaka. I also worked in a Hodaka shop, along with the the Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons that were our bread and butter. We also sold CZs, MZs, Huskies and some Puch dirt bikes. I bought several of them myself.
Fun days!
Bare
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:24:02 PM by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
RE: Would you start making this bike again. Put your dang EFI on it and a faux carb to cover it up.

Works for Triumph!
Bare

And keep it under 450 lbs... New Bonnies are a hundred pounds heavier than the 410 lb interceptor.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:46:36 PM by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »
It's a nice thought but RE India never made this bike.
2006 Bullet Sixty-5 w/ Ace "Fireball 535" Kit (#10)
Ace "GP" head in the works.

'76 Honda CB550Four K(sold)

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understandin'?"

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »
Works for Triumph!
As for the stories linked to up top, I read the Hodaka one. It was very interesting to me as I had a Yamaguchi 50 and a Rickman Hodaka. I also worked in a Hodaka shop, along with the the Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons that were our bread and butter. We also sold CZs, MZs, Huskies and some Puch dirt bikes. I bought several of them myself.
Fun days!
Bare

I envy you!