HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Extra Lights on Either Side of Headlight of G5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2015, 02:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electra Top Box  (Read 819 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Electra Top Box
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:52:20 AM »
Got a lot done today: 1) relocated and installed new rear turn signals; b) 7inch Syl 6024 light; c) emgo top box from Amazon. 
Not sure i like the looks of the box on the NField chrome rack, but it sure is handy ($67 off Amazon and mounted in 10 minutes).  Fits my helmet, groceries and work computer.  Pops off with a button.

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Re: Electra Top Box
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
That's a very nice upgrade!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
A little on the big side, but it's clean and functional.  I might have to pick one of those up for when I go on my camping trips.

Scottie
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer - The Blackhawk

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:21:34 AM »
Thanks gents. Had it on for a few days now. Still think its ugly, but slapped a k&n sticker on it and feeling better about it now :o

Looks aside, it's damn convenient!  Doesn't rattle,  don't forget lock tite and throw in a gallon of milk and ice cream on the way home. Happy with the $$$ spent. Saw a ural with the box on amazon. Ural looked better with it. It's a keeper.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Blairio

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »
In the 50's, 60's & 70's a UK company called called Craven made a range of fibreglass top boxes and panniers. They occasionally come up on eBay, but any surviving models are pretty tired by now.

Last year I heard that a company called Craven Equipment had started to re-manufacture some of the original range. I contacted them and ordered their smallest top box, which arrived a few weeks later.

It is nowhere near as spacious as DanB's one, and a good bit dearer (170) probably due to the way its is made: hand-laid fibreglass, with all the hardware then fitted using rivets or stainless nuts & bolts. It does sit perfectly on the rear rack, and is large enough for waterproofs, lunch(!), any extra tools, and the odd bit of shopping. I had already tried on a much cheaper Givi 'jelly-mould' plastic box which I had for another bike, but it just didn't suit the Enfield.

Contact details are:
Craven Equipment
Broad Street, BUNGAY, Suffolk, NR35 1EE Telephones
(01986) 894 798 or 892 826 Facsimile (01986) 894 799
[email protected]     www.cravens.org.uk

2012 Electra EFI Riviera Red
1954 Francis Barnett Falcon 70

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
Now that looks nice!  I was looking at older cravens, but they are far and few between on this side of the pond. Glad to know they are still doing some very nice work!

I like the simple rack as well.  From Hitchcocks?
2006 AVL Electra

Blairio

• Bulleteer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
Hi, yes, I'm very pleased with it. I just checked the Craven catalog and they are listing the small Snowdon box (the one I have) at 130. Mine was a bit dearer I think because it was one of the first they made, and they were sorting out the manufacturing and costing process.

The rack was from my Enfield dealer, Avuss, in Glasgow. I am pretty sure it is the same one that Hitchcocks sell. It was 64, and a breeze to fit.

I have noticed some US owners have a rear rack, the sides of which form pannier frames.  that type isn't in Hitchcocks' catalogue, but they do say they can't list everything they have in stock.  With hindsight I would have held out for the 'rack & pannier frame' version.
2012 Electra EFI Riviera Red
1954 Francis Barnett Falcon 70