HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Crash bar, too

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 02:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sprag clutch issues on a 2014? ...quite possible!  (Read 562 times)

pmanaz1973

• Scooter
Re: sprag clutch issues on a 2014? ...quite possible!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 03:24:01 AM »
That's the same sound mine made when I let it stay outside in 25 degree F weather overnight but, mine only did it twice before it caught and cranked the engine.

Yikes...my friend's 2012 C5 did the same as Arizoni's - only once or twice then grabbed and only when it was super cold...like snow on the ground cold.
1991 XR250L (traded for)
1976 Harley XLH 1000 (blew up)
1993 CBR 600 (sold for)
1976 Norton Commando 850 (traded for)
1972 BMW R75/5 (sold)
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:17 AM »
My sprag clutch only did this trick a couple of times, all of them being after a cold soak.
It has behaved itself for over 9 months, making hundreds of starts without a problem since that happened.

wildbill
I hate to say it but if it is not freezing where you are and if you've switched back to the lighter weight motor oil, the sprag clutch should probably be replaced under warranty.
Take your video or some method of accessing it with you to the dealer and play it for him.  (As we all know, if you start the bike and ride it into his shop, it will start every time and he'll think your jiving him.)

I hate to say it but if it is not freezing where you are and if you've switched back to the lighter weight motor oil, the sprag clutch should probably be replaced.

That said,
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Mine would whir in ~40oF weather with 20W-50. But if I'd try the starter button a few times, it would connect.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
For whatever reason, your starter is spinning just fine but the sprag is not engaging.  I watched the video.  It does seem to grab for an instant there at the beginning and then let go BUT it's fine!  Believe me, when your sprag goes you will definitely know from the sound.  It sounds terrible, grinding and crunching and slipping in and out of engagement.  Yours is fine.

The cold is not helping.  It makes the oil thick and the battery weak. 

Check the battery.  Turn the bike and headlight on but don't start it.  Let it sit for a full 3 minutes without running.  Turn it off and check the battery voltage.  If it's not in the mid 12V range your battery is weak and needs replacement.

The thick oil is not helping.  You could try 10w50 full synthetic, it flows notably better that traditional or semi-synth at low temperatures.  You could also switch to 10w40 for the cold months.  Another thing you could do, just leave two 60W bulbs burning on the floor under the bike's crankcase when it is parked.  That will warm the engine and oil a little so it's thinner when you start it.

Scott

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Bulleteer
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Although I've never had this on a Bullet, this noise is absolutely typical of a free-running starter motor.  Most likely the sprag clutch, or (most unlikely) a fault in the gear train to the crankshaft).

This really is a warranty issue - I wouldn't try to resolve it yourself when you've got a warranty in place.
2014 B5, stock apart from disabled auto-decomp.  Also ride a Kawasaki Versys 650 for everyday use.

Previous:
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
    This is number 5 for wildbill I believe ?   Has any of his other bike's done this I'm wondering ?    He has charged his battery and tried immediately after I think.  SOMETHING ain't right... I really never saw this with mine, and working out in that Garage..... WAY below 40 degree's when I have started the bike.   Something is up....  Especially if it is happening over and over.   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
"Charged the battery" is not equal to "Tested the battery" ;)  We all know these bikes like a good strong battery and that's not necessarily what they come with.  The quick test I outlined will tell if the battery is up to snuff or not.  When my battery was dieing I got lots of 'spin but not engage' events.  The battery might be fine in a warmer environment but is borderline in the cold.

Could be the sprag too, but it wouldn't be the typical auto-destruct problem.  It would be something else with it.  And I'm inclined to think the sprag is fine if it's not making evil noises.

Scott