HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Meteor/Garrard page 1

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 04:44:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a clean k&N filter  (Read 299 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
a clean k&N filter
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »
Gave the filter a wash after about a year. damn she seems to love being clean. the K&N filter works great. My air filter box was dirty. there was even some washers and a fair bit of oily gunk...

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Re: a clean k&N filter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »

it works great after a good cleanup..make sure you lightly oil the filter before use..
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
If the inside of my air filter box was dirty at all, it would give me a good idea of just how well a K&N filter, filters.  >:(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
If the inside of my air filter box was dirty at all, it would give me a good idea of just how well a K&N filter, filters.  >:(
;) My small cone filter is on the TB..was extremely dirty both inside and outside...
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »

Good point... i cant remember if with the stock filter the box got as dirty. i might get another stock and try it. the bike is running like a dream after the clean filter though. its lovin it.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
I like K&N filters but if you ride in dusty conditions on a semi regular basis you need to clean it more often than once a season.  For example my dirt bike filters I used to clean every 2 or 3 rides.

Scottie J
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »
hey why do you need to oil it a bit when you put it back in?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:09:52 AM »
the sticky k & n oil grabs all the dust/dirt flying about but in doing so clogs up more easily than a paper element job.
i have a k&n on the maza turbo and also the mgf but they are a lot of trouble cleaning and re oiling. the z3 had one too but i threw it in the garbage bin.
they have been know to cause problems in car with the air flow meter and highly expevsive to replace
2011 C5 black/chrome
2012 C5 maroon/chrome 
2013 B5 black
2014 Continental gt
2014 C5 tan/cheery - upgrades and work in progress

2004 mazda-speed miata
2001 bmw z3 2.2

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
the sticky k & n oil grabs all the dust/dirt flying about but in doing so clogs up more easily than a paper element job.
i have a k&n on the maza turbo and also the mgf but they are a lot of trouble cleaning and re oiling. the z3 had one too but i threw it in the garbage bin.
they have been know to cause problems in car with the air flow meter and highly expevsive to replace

Yeah K&Ns are not good for MAF sensors as they tend to clog up the sensor and cause the vehicle to run like crap.  Easily solved with some MAF cleaner tho.
Scottie J  ~  Bulldog Kustoms Denver  ~  1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer  ~  1959 Enfield/Indian Chief

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »
so where do you use the MAF cleaner? ive no idea where the sensors are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »
   The bike has a MAP sensor, not a MAF sensor in the throttle body. It picks up manifold pressure readings with a resister that deflects or bends, with the different pressures. And as it does..... deflect. It varies the voltage reading to the ECU. There is a small orifice under the MAP sensor and open to the air going through the throttle body.  So, I guess there is some potential if you over oil the filter . the oil could accumulate in that orifice and in the chamber  where the MAP sensor sits.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.