HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Almost There

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 08:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tubes  (Read 626 times)

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Tubes
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
What type of tire tubes do you guys use? I'm getting ready to order the Dunlop k70's, back up tubes and a Tsubaki - 530 Omega O-Ring Chain but before I place the order I was wondering what type of tubes most people use. This will be the first time I've ordered some.
Thanks!
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Re: Tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »
I've got my eye one some IRC TR-4 tubes, I know that I do not need a heavy duty tube or anything like that so I figure something on the affordable side would be ok, just because they are going to be used as an emergency spare. any thoughts?
I mainly use motorcycle superstore and I'd like to stick with them.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:47:31 AM »
Ive got 18,000 plus miles on my G5, worn out plenty of tires and am still using my original tubes. I closely inspect the tubes as well as the rim bands each time and find them still in great shape.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
Before I had my K70 installed I thought I ought to buy a good tube so I went to the local motorcycle parts store.  They only had one available in my size so I bought it.

When I got home and opened it I noticed it was about as thick as a bicycle tube!  :o

Looking at the extra tube I got with my bike when I bought it I noticed the rubber was at least twice as thick as my just bought tube.
When I took my wheel and tire in for mounting I took my unused Indian made Dunlop tube with me and had them install it.
The old Indian Dunlop tube looks like it is almost brand new so IMO, getting a similar tube from NFG is the way to go.

Oh.  Just my opinion but always buy the heaviest tube you can find.
That's the best guarantee against having a flat tire.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
Good question.  I'm about to change my skidmasters for K70s (and, for that matter, my stock chain to the same one you're looking at), but I opted to take a chance on the tubes I have - the two already in the tires and the spare that came with it.  Hoping my caution against pinching tubes from my bicycle tire changing experience during days on the road many years ago will serve me well - I hear those stockers can be a bear to remove...

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »
anybody have a particular brand they prefer? i understand it doesn't really make too big of a difference brand to brand but I am just curious on which brands to stay away from.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »
I think they're all made in China now.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
The extra spare tubes that I got with my enfield (speedmasters) are heavy duty tubes..Our sponsor should have them in stock...When I replaced my front tire last summer, I went ahead and put a new "Made in India Tube"...I wrapped up the used one with a thick rubber band and have kept it as a spare.... Won't they work with the k70's too...Jack is spot on re. inspecting the rim tape .. I had some slight spoke wear spots and put a patch of duct tape here n there...If u feel like it, a new rim tape can be purchased...I found a local bicycle shop that said they would put the tire, tube and new rim tape on for a fee of course (if I brought it in off the bike) ..These specific tires aren't much larger than a 5'0/60's  style bicycle balloon tire but they sure have stiffer sidewalls....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
Heay duty tubes are OK, but I would spend a lot of extra money on them. They are meant for dirt riders who smash into rocks with low tire pressures, so they don't get cut as the tire flattens itself against the rim. Not terribly necessary. Make sure you put some talcum powder inside the tires when you change them though. It keeps the tubes from chafing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
thanks for the help guys. i'm getting the rims powdercoated and then i'm putting on the k70s. i appreciate the help.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton