HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Uncle Kracker

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 08:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1999 Royal Enfield - Bullet 500 - doesn't starti - mechanic in Dallas/DFW area.  (Read 142 times)

PhaniBaddam

• Neophyte
Hello!

I just got a 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 from a fella in DC area and got it shipped to Dallas. I rode it for 20-30 miles and then gave it a quick wash. Last week, after riding for 5 miles it quit on me and wouldn't start. Usually it takes any where from 10-15 kicks (I know) to start and now it wouldn't start at all.

I got it towed to a mechanic shed near by and asked him to work on it. Since, this is my first motor cycle I would appreciate if any of you can let me know a list of things that I need to get done and be aware of.

Also, suggest any classic bullet mechanics around Dallas area. I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Phani
972-983-9583

DanB

• Grease Monkey
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure others will add, but since it stopped running after a wash, I'd suggest doing the really easy stuff first:

1. Drain carb bowl and see if there is water in the carb.

2. Replace the spark plug.

3. Make sure your air filter is dry and not soaked in water or oil.

Basically the bike needs spark, fuel, air and compression to fire. Make sure all of these are present. May want to get a Peter Snidals manual from our hosts site!

If those don't do the trick, then you need to dig into it more. Checking the ignition and points (lay the plug on its side touching the head - not too close to the hole - check to see if there's a spark). Carb may need a good cleaning and tuning.... Etc. 

Hope this helps and good luck.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

PhaniBaddam

• Neophyte
Thanks for your suggestions, Dan!
I will check with my local mechanic on the same. And Pete's manual is already  on its way from Canada. I eventually want to be my own mechanic :)

Thanks,
Phani
972-983-9583

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
REmove the distributor cap, spray the points etc. with WD-40 and you may be on your way. It displaces moisture. I have done this 100 times with cars/bikes with points after a wash or very hard rain.

Afterwards spray your distributor cap with cheap hairspray. The lacquer in it will seal the cap pretty well.

There are two good shops near you, http://royalenfieldfortworth.com/
http://www.strokersdallas.com/

If your bike won't start in three kicks either something (simple) is not right or you are not using the proper procedure. I have attached the correct procedure. It takes longer to read it than it does to do it. If you follow it to the letter you will know if it is you or not.

dginfw

• Grease Monkey
I would recommend Perry's Motorcycles in Ft Worth. They were an Enfield dealer years ago and are familiar with the iron barrels
Dave in TX:   '01  W650
                    '14 Continental GT
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet

PhaniBaddam

• Neophyte
@Kevin - I will check the same as you suggested and thanks for the clear steps on starting Enfield. I checked with Strokers and they weren't sure about iron barrel.

@Dave - I will check with them next week and see. Thank you.

Hondo

• Neophyte
X2 Fort Worth Shop!  Great guys to deal with