HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Harris Scrambler with Alloy Tank and Trials Tires LS

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 01:28:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another stripped points plate screw  (Read 301 times)

jeep44

• Scooter
Another stripped points plate screw
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
I've been getting my '07 Bullet ready for riding this spring. I finally had enough of that little stock carb, and got the Amal kit over the winter. That went on easily, and looks good. I had a set of new points, so I thought I'd replace them. All went well, until I was drawing up the bottom piller stud on the points plate-one last little turn to snug it up, and then that sickening turn with no resistance-stripped!
   I ordered the repair kit from here, but then I started searching old threads-I came across the Rick Sperko thread from 2008, and decided to follow what was done there. I got a 10-32 Helicoil kit from my local auto parts place-it was $34, but it was genuine Helicoil, and it was in my hands when I needed it. I got out my air compressor with a fine nozzle, and blew out the holes in the distributor housing. Then I got my 30+ year old can of "Moly-D" tapping compound, and started tapping the stripped hole (I did not use a drill). Very, very carefully, making sure the tap was square to the housing, making a turn with a small wrench, and then backing off to break the chip-then turning in more,backing off,etc, until I knew I was almost bottoming out the tap. As was suggested in the old thread, I ground a bit off the lead of the helicoil tap to get a bit more thread in the hole. Careful,careful! go slow!
After blowing the hole out, I realized the tool to turn the insert in was too long with the primary case in place-so I cut it in half,and grabbed the shaft with a very small pair of vice grips, and turned the helicoil in. It just barely went in all the way, with no portion standing above the housing surface. If and when I do the top hole, I may cut one coil off the insert before I screw it in. Anyway, the hole is now better than new,thanks to the helpful information in this forum. Here's a couple of photos of the process:

Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Re: Another stripped points plate screw
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
Nice write up and pics.
Doubtless they will be of help to our forum brothers.

Good on you Sir.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

jeep44

• Scooter
Re: Another stripped points plate screw
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:12:14 AM »
Another hint: before I removed the points plate, I took a Sharpie, and made a line on the points plate and the housing, so that I could replace the plate exactly as it was. Paying no attention as I was cleaning up all the tapping compound, I wiped the timing mark off the housing :o. Don't make the same mistake I did!
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes