HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

my brother's bullet 350

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 09:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTF Clutch?  (Read 83 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Go Fast & Look Good Doing It
WTF Clutch?
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
As you all know I've been bitching about my clutch for the last year.  As of recent, it will slip under heavy load when the bike is cold.  After about 10-15 miles of running, it stops slipping and works fine.  But here is where it gets weird and is baffling me.  The longer I run the bike, the longer the clutch cable gets, or so it seems.  As I ride I have to constantly readjust the cable play at the lever to pull slack out and continue to get good gear shifts.  Yesterday after riding for about 30 minutes the adjuster was so far out that the "tube" part wasn't even sitting in the clutch lever anymore.  And then like always, I went out there this morning and the cable is tight and had to loosen it.  Is this just a matter of me making the new cable too long, or is there something fishy going on?
Bulldog Kustoms - Denver, CO
Specializing In Kustom Paint

The Blackhawk
1958 Enfield/Indian 711cc Twin

Building the 1st EVER Supercharged RE Twin
FULL RACE motor with ACE Performance

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
Re: WTF Clutch?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Sounds to me like something is changing with thermal expansion. I haven't any experience with those scissor clutch systems.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
I know the cable is a little on the long side.  I was almost thinking about pulling the primary cover and putting an extra adjuster on the cable where it goes into the lever mechanism.

The Blackhawk

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in racing or performance Bullets
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
That aluminum connector between the cable and the scissor arm looks a little questionable to me.
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  Ace GP Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Head . Pistons, cams, etc. Highest performance Bullet engine mods available .  AVL mods. Redditch 700/750 Twin mods. UCE kit soon.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
It's not aluminum, it's stainless steel 1/2" tubing.  It's been holding up fine, I don't believe that is the issue.  Maybe it is, but I don't think so.  The original piece that goes there is a piece of stamped tin, it tore in half riding to work one day, so I upgraded and fabbed that piece together.

The Blackhawk

RE_Chief

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
It could be the outside sheath contracting, clearly not the cable getting longer.

Regards Charles
1955 Indian Tomahawk 500 twin
1960 Indian Chief 700 twin
1964 Interceptor Mk1 750 twin
1967 Interceptor Mk1A 750 twin
1994 Bullet Deluxe 570 long stroke single

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:53:34 AM »
Something in the assembling is definitely changing the free length.  After riding for 90 minutes straight coming home today I could barely get the bike into neutral.  It seems like tho that only gets to a certain point and then stops.  I'm going to pull the primary tomorrow and shorten the cable a bit.  That way I'll at least be able to adjust it and keep the adjuster in the lever.

The Blackhawk

Bullet Whisperer

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
 Hi Scottie,
 The phenomenon you describe is far from unheard of and is usually associated with a clutch struggling to take the punishment metered out to it. As the clutch plates and other components heat up, they expand and as a result, the 'stack' of clutch plates gets thicker, this in turn affects the adjustment by making a pressure plate get further away from the end of a pushrod, or in your case, closer to the scissor actuator.
I have an observation from looking at your picture - can you adjust the screw and locknut so that the operating arm and cable are at a tighter angle? I see that as you have things at present, they are not far off 90 degrees and probably exceed that by the time your clutch lever is pulled right in.
 If you can set it up so that 90 degrees is just being approached when your handlebar lever is pulled right in, you will get more lift at the pressure plate, hot or cold, for the same amount of lever movement. It might not be an outright cure, but should help to some degree.
 Also, check the radius of the handlebar lever pivot point to the cable nipple hole, as there are different ratios to be had with different lever types, the larger the radius, the more cable movement you will get at the cost of some leverage, so giving more lift at the pressure plate.
 B.W.

RE_Chief

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:20:42 PM »
All good points BW, I have had problems in the past with using levers that do not travel far enough because of their design.  When measuring the length of the pivot point was around 20mm and found some levers that were 24mm, made all the difference.

Regards Charles
1955 Indian Tomahawk 500 twin
1960 Indian Chief 700 twin
1964 Interceptor Mk1 750 twin
1967 Interceptor Mk1A 750 twin
1994 Bullet Deluxe 570 long stroke single