HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Beehive tail light

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 02:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed guesstimator.  (Read 564 times)

Oddjon

• Neophyte
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Speed guesstimator.
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:53:48 PM »
/vent
I know that the speedo's are blatantly off, but I'm riding around today between raindrops, and in 2nd gear (my usual in a 25mph zone), and the speedo is showing 60mph...  so I took it out on the highway hoping to get a fake ton-up, but it would not register over 80mph...  I think these should work better, or just get rid of it...  does the digital speedo have these issues?  I do not see much comments on here about speedo issues, except for the ><10mph issue, but but 35mph off just isn't right.
/vent off
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat."
Re: Speed guesstimator.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
Have you ever greased your speedometer drive cable?

If not, it may be sticking and releasing which can cause all sorts of strange readings.

Greasing it with any really light weight (thin) grease works best and doesn't put a lot of load on the drive gears that are located in the little gearbox on your front wheel.
I have used plain old Vasoline petroleum jelly and it has worked for 2 years.

To grease the cable just unscrew the knurled nut at the front wheel and pull the metal cable out of the outer shield.  Then grease it and run it back in.

The most difficult part of doing this is to get the square drive end to fit back into the bottom of the speedometer.  It takes a little turning and sliding the cable in and out a few inches.  About the time you get really PO'd it will slide into place as if to say, "Why didn't you turn me that way 10 minutes ago?" :)

After you get the lower drive square back into the hole in the wheel's gearbox, do not overtighten the knurled nut.  Just run it on until it stops, get a firm grip and twist it one more time with your fingers and your done.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AussieDave

• Grease Monkey
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
Good info, thanks. My speedo is miles off and has become worse over time.100k used to read as 120 but has crept up to around 140 now.Overtaking it shoots up against the stop.I wonder does anyone have any exp. adjusting the magnetic rotor i understand is mounted in a tweakable bell housing that drives the dial? Or am I venturing into unexplored territory?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
You don't want to touch the bell mate, not ever.

The mag rotor and counter spring yes but even then only with an experienced and gentle touch.

This is the advice of  my best friend who rebuilt calibrated and certified speedometers and trip recorders for a living in Europe before emigrating here.

There is no measurement to the adjustments. They are done by feel developed from practice.

The results are measured by driving the speedometers at various speeds on a calibrated motor.

I say go for it with gusto ! That skill set is rare and unique in today's digital age and is more art than science in today's digital age.

I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military...it takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
They aren't that hard to adjust. Close the gap of the spinning bars to the needle pickup a bit if you need a higher reading, open the gap if you are already reading too fast. It doesn't take much of an adjustment. It's a magnetic gap and the closer the gap, the harder it pulls, so more needle movement.
You may have to do it a couple of times to get it right on, but it'll get there. The odo is strictly mechanical, there's nothing you can so with it other than change gearing or tire size.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AussieDave

• Grease Monkey
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »
thanks guys i will have a crack at later this Arvo. being a natural born numbskull its only taken me six months to work out i can use my phone to post. i'll try and post a pic of the speedo if i can figure out how .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

heloego

• Grease Monkey
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
I recently have had problems with a speedo on another vehicle. Proper calibration is definitely done on a calibrated machine. According to the shop I took it to, the speedo should read 60mph when spun up to 1000rpm.
Some have calibration marks just below the "0". Those can be set manually by an experience mech, but all pics and personal observations of the Enfield speedo reveal no such calibration mark.
If you have a good touch and don't mind jumping in, you should be able to CAREFULLY remove the needle of a given speedo and re-set it on it's pin to play with the calibration.
Not having disassembled an Enfield unit (still awaiting delivery), I can't say for certain this is even possible.
Has anyone tried this?
A&P means "Airframe and Powerplant", not the grocery store. :-)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:08:17 PM »
Yes.

Don't step on the parts.  :o
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military...it takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

heloego

• Grease Monkey
  • 2012 Royal Maroon C5 Special
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
 :) Talk about!
It's nice to have a roomy workbench!  ;D
A&P means "Airframe and Powerplant", not the grocery store. :-)

Oddjon

• Neophyte
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Was getting a new header installed @ the dealer (warranty work), I had him check and relube the speedo cable while he was on it.  Doesn't make a difference at all.  Still showing 55-60mph in second gear, and bounces in higher gears between 60-90mph.  1st gear seems ok, but I'm in that gear for such a short time, I haven't seen any issue there.  In any other gear, the speedo goes nuts.
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat."
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
This sounds like a job for Warrantyman!

do-de-do-de-do-de-do-de-do..........

Pow!  Wham!    Boom!  POW!  POW!
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rich Mintz

• Grease Monkey
  • Daily rider in the city
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
Related question: My speedo ordinarily works fine (and I haven't tested with GPS, but common sense tells me it's roughly accurate). But sometimes when I ride at speed (60+) for an extended period, something will come loose and the needle will start bouncing around by +/- 10mph. Then later whatever it is will "seat" again and the jiggling will stop.

Any idea what is coming loose?

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
Related question: My speedo ordinarily works fine (and I haven't tested with GPS, but common sense tells me it's roughly accurate). But sometimes when I ride at speed (60+) for an extended period, something will come loose and the needle will start bouncing around by +/- 10mph. Then later whatever it is will "seat" again and the jiggling will stop.

Any idea what is coming loose?

Check that the cable is lubed.

Also be sure the nut thingy that holds the cable into the drive on the wheel and the speedo itself are good and tight.

My first cable broke right away. The angle that led out of the drive on the front wheel was too sharp. I used wire tie to reduce this angle on the new cable and it has been perfect since.
I've gone back to my roots. British 1 lunger, stump puller.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ace Performance Bullets and Ace Fireball 535
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
One of our Ace enthusiasts from my site posted this link to some new Smiths style gauges with traditional vintage styles. I don't know how good they are, but it seems they might be worth a look.
http://www.puca.co/speedos.html
Home of the ACE Fireball 535 Bullet,  and the Joe Mondello Signature cylinder head for the Bullet.

Please visit my new website:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AcePerformanceBullets/

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
  • Wide Open Spaces = Wide Open Throttle
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
One of our Ace enthusiasts from my site posted this link to some new Smiths style gauges with traditional vintage styles. I don't know how good they are, but it seems they might be worth a look.
http://www.puca.co/speedos.html

Wow!  Those look legit Ace.  I like that they are digital and the "hall effect sender" that just replaces the original speedo cable and sends out a signal to the speedo.  That's pretty trick.  I'll be looking into 1 of those for myself.  Thanks for sharing that.

Scottie

The Blackhawk
1958 RE/Indian Trailblazer 711cc