HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Extra Lights on Either Side of Headlight of G5

in
Members Rides

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:04:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headlight wiring harness burned up  (Read 334 times)

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Headlight wiring harness burned up
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Hey guys.   

In the last couple weeks I've dropped a new AGM battery into my G5 and a new set of shoes (avon AM26).  I really couldn't be happier.

But the theres the new issue. Last fall the wires behind the headlight sorta caught fire and melted into a single mass.  I did my best to separate them and worked some magic with heat shrink tubing.  Last weekend our old friend "mr. Corrosion" found his way into the mess an I rode home with no headlight in the dark.

So the question. I'm trying to find new terminals to build a new harness, but I can't find the same size anywhere in town.  Everything is too small.  One bloke sold me a grey plastic connector that fits but is to deep and hits the speedo cable inside the housing.

Oh, should mention I have the 7" headlight in and it's a G5' in green(that makes a diference$

So suggestions as on how to fix this so it's reliable?

Thanks

Paul
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: Headlight wiring harness burned up
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
It's tough to fit the one piece connector in there with the 7".  I went back to individual flag terminals.  I wrote the wire colors for each connector on the back of the reflector so I won't forget which is which.
http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1667-19007-0021-250-inch-fully-pre-insulated-quick-disconnect-flag-terminal-14-16-awg.html
The flag style doesn't stick backwards and you can splay the connectors a bit if you need to.  You should be able to find them somewhere locally now that you know what to ask for.

Scott

Pauly

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
All righty. I had the flag terminals already, they didn't fit. Then some stuff happened with a screwdriver and they did.  Sure looks a lot more clean and reliable. Only time will tell. But it's working now

Thanks a bunch

Paul
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »
Like most RE installs, just takes some persuasion :)